Started on: 08-30-2014 03:12 PM
Replies: 15 (833 views)
Last post by: tshark on 01-07-2015 09:58 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats actually normal. The material inside the wheel is deteriorating and unfortunately there is no fix. This is what your wheel will eventually look like:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 08-30-2014).]

California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As said, it's an aging problem, along with exposure to sun light, chemicals, etc. You might try posting a "Wanted" notice on here for re-conditioned "The Fiero Store" Steering Wheel. They did have them on the site for a while, but I just checked, and appears they don't do that anymore. You are going to have somewhat the same problem buying a used wheel, as you don't know what's it has been exposed to.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can recover it yourself or Dallas Custom will do it for you. Many people on here swear by them. Here is the page with the Fiero wheel on it:
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw8.htm
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

So that's what happened to those steering wheels. Why not just recover it myself? Shouldn't be anything illegal in that, as long as the code enforcement officer doesn't catch me.

I was going to have the leather reconditioned, anyway.

The problem is finding a core material to go over steel wire, that is the right size, and hold up. Less of a hazel to buy a nice aftermarket wheel, unless you are trying to keep car "stock".

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got the same problem, except my steering wheel is black... I think the fiero store only sells the brown one which is REALLLYYY unfortunate.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Images are from http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 08-30-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish their site had a price list.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, if you leave the original core and just recover it yourself, you dont solve the goo problem, It will still come out on the new cover. Good time to switch to aftermarket wheel unless you just want to keep it stock. I used Momos myself.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I wish their site had a price list.

They do AMAZING work... But unfortunately they are a bit pricey for some Fiero folks. Something like $350~$400 to recover the wheel if I recall. I personally went with a 96 Firebird wheel. More modern looking, a tiny bit bigger around Easier to turn), and larger more padded wheel for a nicer feel IMHO.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-31-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to recover my wheel myself when the dreaded brown goo showed up. After a little practice and trial and error I can say that I'm really happy with how it turned out.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock