1987 GT Manual that needs flywheel. by 8bit88
Started on: 08-30-2014 10:42 AM
Replies: 8 (393 views)
Last post by: 8bit88 on 09-01-2014 07:08 PM
8bit88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, it has been forever it seems since I have last posted, and I am here now to seek information. http://knoxville.craigslist.../cto/4523035684.html
Is the link to the for sale ad of the vehicle. From what I can tell and gather from the information provided, it is a great, low miles (75k) car that for sure needs a total repaint (I always liked yellow) and a flywheel. My biggest question is, how easy is it to change out a flywheel? Is this something I can tackle at home (with nothing more than the simple tool kit I have) or would this be a money pit that a mechanic would make me sink hundreds into?

------------------
My Fieros (FM4)
'88 GT 600HP G8 engine, lowered, racing modifications
'88 GT Minor street modifications, Police paint scheme
'88 GT "Banana Boat" minor street modifications
'88 GT Silver, stock
'88 GT Red, Body Kit, Racing modifications, orig. engine

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same work as changing out the clutch. You've done one on your other Fieros?

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never owned a car, I'm looking to the Fiero as a unique first car (this one being somewhat of a project, as there are things I'd wish to customize) I've never done much automotive work, and not touched a clutch or anything to do with a transmission.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having never worked on a car. I would recommend that you find someone to guide you through this in depth job. It is not a job for someone with no experience to tackle alone. Also you will need jack, jack stands, and a good tool box.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are planning to just replace the fly wheel, you may want to do other maintenance while the transmission if out of the car.

http://www.fierostore.com/P...Browse.aspx?d=79&p=2

The BIG downside is that it is very hard to locate an 87 fly wheel. If you are lucky you may be able to resurface the old fly wheel. An 88 fly wheel will not work in a stock 87 2.8 L Fiero engine.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8bit88:

My Fieros (FM4)
'88 GT 600HP G8 engine, lowered, racing modifications
'88 GT Minor street modifications, Police paint scheme
'88 GT "Banana Boat" minor street modifications
'88 GT Silver, stock
'88 GT Red, Body Kit, Racing modifications, orig. engine

Originally posted by 8bit88:

I've never owned a car, I'm looking to the Fiero as a unique first car (this one being somewhat of a project, as there are things I'd wish to customize) I've never done much automotive work, and not touched a clutch or anything to do with a transmission.

OK - I am confused now...

But as the other guys have said - NOT the easiest job for anyone, nevermind a newbie. You'll need someone to give you a hand.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since there has been some confusion, let me clarify some things. FM4 is Forza Motorsports 4, I still do not own a real vehicle. >.< Also, an 87 flywheel shouldn't be too hard for me to find, I am located a mere 20 miles from TFF so parts should not be.an issue for me, ever.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero clutch replacement time lapse

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That's a lot more labor intensive than I'd like for a first vehicle. perhaps I should keep looking. Though I'd like to thank everyone for it help, without you I'll end up with a money pit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock