Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone Have Fiero GT T-Top Custom Model Kit Built From Other MPC Model Kit ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone Have Fiero GT T-Top Custom Model Kit Built From Other MPC Model Kit ? by fierogtx
Started on: 08-30-2014 12:55 AM
Replies: 17 (737 views)
Last post by: NEVERDONE on 09-05-2014 09:04 AM
fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bought a mpc fiero gt model kit and want to build the reproduction of my fiero t-top 86 . does anyone try to fit a t-top from an other model kit of mpc to fit on the fiero ?????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will probably need to scratchbuild it. Check out your local hobby shop--you can buy sheet styrene in clear and color (usually white)--they also have magazines for model cars and may even have a club or someone who could advise you--as for doing it use your car as the master to shape your parts

------------------
Pat Jones

BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to modify some off of a Gen 3 Camaro/Firebird.
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does anyone have done a t-top conversion on a model kit and have a pic ???? buying a camaro model kit with a t-top on eBay is not cheap i will have to look to buy one that it is not complete for just t-tops parts
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The T-Tops off an MPC 1:25 Knight Rider Firebird would probably be the closest
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

The T-Tops off an MPC 1:25 Knight Rider Firebird would probably be the closest

thats what i was thinking i just need to find one that not expensive will check eBay

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did one with the Momogrqam GT.

I just took model saw and but the rood at the right places to make the opening and then I took a piece of scrap plastic and made the bar by gluing it in place. I saved the part I cut out and used it for a cover and just laid it over the top to represent it closed.

I display it open so the close look was real unimportant. it looks good and really takes little modeling skill to make.

I see no reason you could not do the same on an MPC.

Save the end parts of the rood and just get some clear plastic and you and you can make some roof glass and glue on the end to complete the roof. A little imagination and crafting this is not anything difficult.
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I did one with the Momogrqam GT.

I just took model saw and but the rood at the right places to make the opening and then I took a piece of scrap plastic and made the bar by gluing it in place. I saved the part I cut out and used it for a cover and just laid it over the top to represent it closed.

I display it open so the close look was real unimportant. it looks good and really takes little modeling skill to make.

I see no reason you could not do the same on an MPC.

Save the end parts of the rood and just get some clear plastic and you and you can make some roof glass and glue on the end to complete the roof. A little imagination and crafting this is not anything difficult.

do you have pic ????? glass install abd remove ???? i need to find a mpc firebird cheap just for the tr-top glass
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtx:

do you have pic ????? glass install abd remove ???? i need to find a mpc firebird cheap just for the tr-top glass

I will see if I can get some photos to post. I just realized I never took photos of the model.

I think the roof section was in trunk. I will put it on if I still have it. I always displayed it with the roof off.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Here is what I did. I just cut the roof as you would on the real thing. I then just used a piece of scrap for the T bar. I lost the top I had but I never had It on anyways. If you keep the side of the roof and just get some clear plastic you can make own tops. I think it would be easier than worrying about finding TA tops that are not going to be the right size or shape anyways.

Here is the real one I tried to copy

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 09-03-2014).]

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is what I did. I just cut the roof as you would on the real thing. I then just used a piece of scrap for the T bar. I lost the top I had but I never had It on anyways. If you keep the side of the roof and just get some clear plastic you can make own tops. I think it would be easier than worrying about finding TA tops that are not going to be the right size or shape anyways.

That's what I was thinking when I read this.

Well done by the way... that model is great!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

PFF
System Bot
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the real one I tried to copy

really nice model thanks for your pic if i dont find a firebird cheap i will do like you did
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sence a new thread starting soon about fiero models! I too have a few to showoff!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

That's what I was thinking when I read this.

Well done by the way... that model is great!

Thanks I was lucky that Monogram put the side scoops and Indy scoop in the kit so it made it easy to make a similar copy. The Wheels are from a 3rd gen TA model.

I did a 1/18 in black and with 911 BBS gold wheels too. I was considering taking one of my spares and making a 1/18th T top too. A Dremal would make easy work of it.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought all the parts/kits necessary to build a scale model of my "GreenGT" (including a pretty expensive F-Body kit just for the TPI 350 I'm building now)... just never got around to actually building it!

The last time I spent serious time on a model kit was before I had kids!
http://www.mnsportbikerider...showtopic=24463&st=0

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-05-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an 86 Fiero GT model I've been building since 1986 and a 97 Trans am I've been building since 1997. I bought a second 97 Trans am kit to do a dash swap. None of this is complete. Takes me almost as long to get the kits complete as the actual car.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I built mine back in the 80's stock and did the T top in the 90's as well as the wheels.

I used to build a lot of F 1 models when I worked nights. I would build them when I was home alone during the day in the winter time.

I also got board and built a car for each year Dale Earnhardt raced and never finished the 2001 as I just sat the white body in the display case. I got then right down to the correct contingency decals on the fenders.

I even did some Pro Stock cars for the one we sponsored at work. Jay Leno did a burn out and short run in our car so I sent him one of the 5 models I built. He sent me an autographed photo of him with out car and a autographed Tonight Show hat. He is a customer at the Big Dog Garage.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished a custom mounted widebody gt with a scratch built front end, firebird interior, and a LT1 swap. Took me a little over a year with all the body work.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock