Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How does the wing mount to the deck lid on a notchie?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How does the wing mount to the deck lid on a notchie? by Quad Raider
Started on: 08-28-2014 01:46 PM
Replies: 4 (311 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 09-01-2014 09:36 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ask because I bought a deck lid and spoiler at the salvage on Saturday. The car was an '88 but it was a base model, so I was surprised it had a wing on it. I didn't look at it closely until yesterday when I saw this:

Feel free to share photos of how your factory wings are mounted.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks pretty close. I think there are little circular flat areas to mark the approx location of the spoiler bolts.

here is another pick of a decklid... see the holes
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Fiero spoilers carry the same overall design; a large main piece, with spoiler stands that carry studs with standard threads on one side and self-tapping style threads on the other. Simple nuts with built in washers secure the spoiler to the underside of the decklid. I off the top of my head don't know the thread pitch or size for the studs or the nuts.

The major difference is if the car is actually a notchback or a fastback. When the fastback was released in 1986, it carried a different underlying skeleton for the decklid "frame". The differences towards the rear made it that a notchback spoiler's rear studs would not properly protrude through the underside of the decklid. To remedy this, Pontiac simply moved the rear studs forward slightly. Very often individuals go out and buy salvaged spoilers thinking they're all the same and then run into this issue. It's not as prominent on a notchback than a fastback, since the notchback has less underlying support skeleton (in terms of the "meat" of the structure) than the fastback.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I expected to see larger washers or some kind of plate.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks correct. My 88 was built with the spoiler option. Buy the time I owned it many years later it was missing. The holes were there. I bought a spoiler from MooCow I think when he was going to school up here and installed it. I thought it was from a GT but I dont know for sure. Bolted right up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock