Rear Deck Lid Springs by craigtbone
Started on: 08-24-2014 04:00 PM
Replies: 6 (636 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-24-2014 11:08 PM
craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the process of repairing the damage caused by being rear-ended I purchased a replacement deck lid. It has holes for a wing. After a bit of contemplating I purchased a wing.

I did some searching on this forum to determine how to get the spring force correct for the added weight of the wing. This is a '88 Coupe, original to the best of my knowledge.

Some of the threads seemed to indicate that the original springs could be adjusted to handle the extra weight. One thread said that there were different springs. None of the threads offered a definitive answer.

So, will the original springs be able to be adjusted or will I need to find different springs?

Craig T.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigtbone:

Some of the threads seemed to indicate that the original springs could be adjusted to handle the extra weight. One thread said that there were different springs. None of the threads offered a definitive answer.

So, will the original springs be able to be adjusted or will I need to find different springs?

There are different springs. There are adjustments which can be made.

The simplest thing to do is to adjust the ones you have and see if the tension is enough.

A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Torque Rods come in different strengths and a spot of color on each rod identifies the deck lid configuration they were designed to support. If the paint is worn, faded or missing, you can also tell by the RPO code what torque rod should have been on the car.

Red = plain
White = Spoiler (RPO code D80)
Blue = Luggage carrier (RPO code V56)

There is also the adjustment holes to 'fine tune' them. The torque rod retaining pin seems to come from the factory in the center of the 3 available holes. The Shop Manual says "To increase tension on torque rod, move the pin rearward one hole." But, be VERY CAREFUL! There's a lot of tension there.

If you do a search of PFF, there are many threads on this topic. Since the PFF search engine isn't that good, I use google and enter the search string: "site:fiero.nl torque rod". I came up with 983 hits.

Good Luck.

Bob

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.

I will check rod color and code tomorrow.

983 hits! I searched for "deck spring" and got 19.

Craig T.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigtbone:

983 hits! I searched for "deck spring" and got 19.

Search terms are critical. Most people call it a "decklid". And the "spring" can be called a "torque rod" or a "torsion rod" etc.

And look in all PFF categories/forums, both current and archived... and don't limit yourself to Subject/Username.
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Search terms are critical. Most people call it a "decklid". And the "spring" can be called a "torque rod" or a "torsion rod" etc.

And look in all PFF categories/forums, both current and archived... and don't limit yourself to Subject/Username.

If you take another look at my post, please note that I didn't use PFF search. Instead I go to (Google) and enter the search string: "site:fiero.nl torque rod". Entering "site:fiero.nrl" and then the words you're looking for directs the search engine to search for the phase in the PFF website. That's how I came up with 983 hits.

Bob

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

[This message has been edited by A_Pegasi (edited 08-24-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by A_Pegasi:

If you take another look at my post, please note that I didn't use PFF search.

Oh, I didn't miss that. I was simply explaining to Craig why he might've only got 19 hits while using the search function here (as I've seen this mentioned by other people numerous times).

Bob, I like to use the method you've described when I'm trying to find a particular image posted at PFF. Other than that, I have pretty good success finding info here with the PFF search function.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock