fiero magazine by jonathan2014
Started on: 08-23-2014 02:10 PM
Replies: 10 (989 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 08-28-2014 07:19 AM
jonathan2014

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an idea. does anybody have the capability or time to make a Fiero magazine. like extreme 4x4 that type of magazine. where it has how to info and a little bit about a person's car and stuff like that. I mean for a magazine like that I'd be willing to pay. what I pay for a magazine prescription.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Northern Illinois Fiero Enthusiasts (NIFE) has a publication that is printed bi-monthly. I subscribe, and it is a great little magazine. It is not in full color (Just the cover and the back are) but to do a full production magazine like you see at news stands would be very expensive, and cost prohibitive. You can find out more, and join NIFE here. You can also download a sample of the magazine in .pdf form.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-23-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonathan2014:
I mean for a magazine like that I'd be willing to pay. what I pay for a magazine prescription.

Do you realize that magazine subscription prices are far, far less than the production and distribution of the magazine. Most publishers make their $$$ from the ads in the magazine, not from the subscription revenue.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone has story ideas or suggestions for FieroFocus Magazine, please email NIFEboard@fierofocus.com . The magazine has won multiple Golden Quill awards.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Do you realize that magazine subscription prices are far, far less than the production and distribution of the magazine. Most publishers make their $$$ from the ads in the magazine, not from the subscription revenue.

You nailed it on the head. Magazines are a dying breed and I would not be surprised if in 10 years the majority we have will be gone. We just lost High Performance Pontiac, Popular Hot Rodding and several other big name magazines due to poor circulation.

The only way to do one today is on the web which is not easy or for a club like the Northern IL. club.

Advertising runs this segment and most companies are going elsewhere.

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Hmm, how would this guy know about printing???? Maybe because he works for one on the biggest bindery operations in the WORLD

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

If anyone has story ideas or suggestions for FieroFocus Magazine, please email NIFEboard@fierofocus.com . The magazine has won multiple Golden Quill awards.

I do not mean this to sound like a complaint but getting a article into the Focus is like pulling hens teeth. I have been waiting for about a year now to have one of my articles published. There are featured writers and featured news items that fill the whole issue. Beyond those items there is little or no room for us independent writers.

Again this is not really a complaint but it is the truth. The Focus is a wonderful magazine and I will be very happy about them publishing my article (if and when it does get published). I have written dozens of articles and I know that the better the magazine the harder it is to get published in it. And when they have such a set format (as the Focus does) it is very hard to break in.

As for a nationally printed magazine - well there just are not any around anymore. The last few magazines I submitted Fiero items to folded in the last year. Club magazines are about all that is left. E-zines are just starting to get set up and I don't think they are going to become a big presence either.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Fiero Focus is as close as you will get. Its a good magazine and we are lucky to have it for such a small market as Fieros.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well with the demise of High Performance Pontiac mag. The Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) is making plans to publish the Smoke Signals as a magazine. It basically is that now for POCI members. I would suggest dropping a email to the Editor Don Keefe. Voice your concern about Fieros and the lack of national coverage. I would suggest presenting him with a idea of a monthly article of and about Fieros. Or may be a section devoted to Fieros. Remind him that the Fiero is the only Pontiac that isn't a shared platform with another GM division. I.E. a true Pontiac! Don's email address is donaldjkeefe@aol.com. If you get the Smoke Signals you know the quality of the magazine.

Steve
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
someone could put together an online magazine. someone here use to have on I had a subscription to and every month he sent out a zip file of articles... I had them on a hard drive somewhere....

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Well with the demise of High Performance Pontiac mag. The Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) is making plans to publish the Smoke Signals as a magazine. It basically is that now for POCI members. I would suggest dropping a email to the Editor Don Keefe. Voice your concern about Fieros and the lack of national coverage. I would suggest presenting him with a idea of a monthly article of and about Fieros. Or may be a section devoted to Fieros. Remind him that the Fiero is the only Pontiac that isn't a shared platform with another GM division. I.E. a true Pontiac! Don's email address is donaldjkeefe@aol.com. If you get the Smoke Signals you know the quality of the magazine.

Steve

I know Don and if he can get the support from the Fiero community he will publish the stories. Don loves all Pontiac vehicles and is one who has tried to lead the way for better acceptance of the post 79 Pontiacs in POCI.

The way to get more stories in the POCI magazine is easy. First join and then write up a story on your car with GOOD! photos. Note I said GOOD! Most of the stories in the magazine are written by members and or with the assistance of members. The same thing often worked in HPP too as if you do the work the publishers love it and will often use the story or rewrite it for the magazine.

No need to remind Don about anything about the Fiero he could teach most here history on the car most owners have no clue about.

For the most part it comes down to information and availability of the info. He has a limited staff and budget so he is not going to come to your house to ask about your car and to take photo's. He generally travels to larger events several times a year like POSI shows and the Pontiac National. But the Fiero community often does not attend the biggest Pontiac show out there even when ones like the Pontiac National treat us well and we have even had top winners at the 600 car event often in the past.

If you want more recognition get out there and write the stories and join the club. If there are only a few Fiero members they are not going to do history stories. If you do not send them in they will not do tech stories. If you do not show up at the events they will not take photos of your car.

Magazines are a dinosaur and today they are run by a few under paid people. Help them and they will help you.

Not I did a story for HPP and worked with Don on it. We got it published and the info out there on 4 pages. I know others that have done similar. Even the last POCI publisher said if he could get people to send Fiero stories he would use the if they had good photos. He can fix the story but he can not doctor the photo's if you leave the trash can behind the car I the driveway shot.

Note the story I worked with Don on will be in a Book he is working on in the future too. He is making money with this and so he is motivated too.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock