Introducing myself by B3mith
Started on: 08-21-2014 09:10 PM
Replies: 25 (611 views)
Last post by: babyboy761 on 08-24-2014 07:21 PM
B3mith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just introducing myself here. I am picking up a 86 Gt w/ 3800sc from my brother in law. He bought it from the guy who did the swap. I will get some pics up once I get a chance. I have lots of plans for the car. First is getting it running. He says it needs a fuel pump and a new battery. So I will be taking care of that pretty quick.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!
Looking forward to the pictures of the car, but know that the fuel pump is inside of the gas tank. I know this seems silly but be sure you don't try to take it off while having a full tank of gas. It makes it twice as difficult than it should be. Might as well take the old gas out and put new gas in, rather be safe than sorry.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness ..... while you're there do a little cleaning on the mechanism that sends the proper signals to the gauges.......here is the thread How To
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/092117.html

regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Welcome to the madness ..... while you're there do a little cleaning on the mechanism that sends the proper signals to the gauges.......here is the thread How To
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/092117.html

regards
Danyel

Welcome to the forum! I sure wish I would have started out with a 3800 from the get go!

That would be an excellent guide, if every image in the tutorial was not a broken image link. It's sad really, uploading, and then having the images still there down the road has been an ongoing problem since day 1 with this forum

I have forums that I joined over 10 years ago, and every single image in my threads are still there. Of course, they have an integrated WYSIWYG editor, and not a 3rd party uploader that does not work 50% of the time

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-22-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

That would be an excellent guide, if every image in the tutorial was not a broken image link. It's sad really, uploading, and then having the images still there down the road has been an ongoing problem since day 1 with this forum

That's why many of us promote the use of PIP to post images here. Roger will be by shortly to say he could never figure it out , but seriously, it is a major bummer to be reading a great "how to" tech thread only to discover that all the helpful images are long gone.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Jungle
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Fieromaly. I know it's not a word but if a cell phone service can do it so can I.

------------------

B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I am excited about getting the car.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're gonna love it.
Welcome to the Forum.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's why many of us promote the use of PIP to post images here. Roger will be by shortly to say he could never figure it out , but seriously, it is a major bummer to be reading a great "how to" tech thread only to discover that all the helpful images are long gone.

That's my biggest dislike, other than some of the trolls on here. We have some on the Georgia forum that use their phones or other media to post. Even if the pictures don't go away with time, you must be registered and logged in to see them, so for anyone that's just browsing, the thread is of little help. Downloading and using PIP is no big deal, but some just can't figure it out. I actually use it for posting pictures in other forums, too. Unless the administrator wipes them out or the forum goes away, they're there for eternity.

B3mith, at some time, you will love and hate both your Fiero and this forum, but we here think the love will win out. Welcome
PFF
System Bot
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's why many of us promote the use of PIP to post images here. Roger will be by shortly to say he could never figure it out ,

Yea, I use PIP whenever I can get it to work, and it is a chore to get to work for me most of the time.

The problem is that PIP only works for people running windows. If you are on a Mac, a Linux Machine, an iPad or iPhone, an android tablet or Android phone... you are out of luck. On top of that, the ones that are running windows, and try to use it, only about half can get it to work for them. All in all, you end up with a greater and greater number of images that will be broken images in a short amount of time

It seems as of late, PIP is very picky about even the file size. Here is the same image, uploaded at the same resolution, but just a different .jpg compression / quality:

Here is an image I just uploaded with PIP. It is 800 x 600 and is 66.32k:

Here is the EXACT same image, 800 x 600, but saved to a different .jpg quality, and it's now 149.90kb:

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-22-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On top of that, the ones that are running windows, and try to use it, only about half can get it to work for them. All in all, you end up with a greater and greater number of images that will be broken images in a short amount of time

Okay John, now you're talking out of your hat.

Except on the very rare occasion when the PIP server is temporarily malfunctioning, I never have a problem with the JPGs that I post. And once they've been posted, they never "end up" as "broken images" like your example above.

All JPGs are not created equal. This has been discussed here in the past. I forget what the issue is, but there's something with the way your "broken image" was created (and/or labeled) that's resulted in what we see above.

Using Irfanview, this image has been reduced from 2048x1151 665 kb to 1024x576 289 kb and posted using PIP..

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-23-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP to me is the best way to post pics. I've never had an issue. BUT I always transfer my pics to my windows pc when posting. Not sure about other platforms.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using Power Toys For Windows Image Resizer, I've never had a problem with compression. We at Georgia Fieros also use a variant of PIP, so if you can't get Cliff's version to work, go to our message board and look in the Administrator's Announcement section.
http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=438.0
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay John, now you're talking out of your hat.

Except on the very rare occasion when the whole PIP system is temporarily malfunctioning, I never have a problem with the JPGs that I post. And once they've been posted, they never "end up" as "broken images" like your example above.

Patrick, I am not making this stuff up! I have fought and fought with PIP over this issue. I use Adobe Photoshop, and export the images in the quality / size for uploading. I have also used Thumbs Plus Professional (a fantastic $99 image manager and manipulator). It is NOT the image, I can guarantee that. Either way, I have to hit the target of file size of around 130k ~ 150k for the image not to be broken when uploading using PIP. The only thing I can figure is it is a FTP server error. Back in the "old days" they used to have to append null characters on files so files would not be corrupted when uploading, this is what appears to be happening here somehow.

Here is a bit of absolute proof. Here is a picture of my car reduced to 800 x 417 and saved to 64% compression, resulting in a 55.6k .jpg that I just uploaded with PIP:

Here is the same EXACT unaltered image at 55.6k uploaded to PostImage.org:

Lastly, here is the same image, just saved at 92% compression, making the file size 134.72kb, and then uploaded via PIP.

Patrick, you are calling me out for "talking out of my hat".... I can't wait to see your explanation for this

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-23-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick, I am not making this stuff up! I have fought and fought with PIP over this issue.

John, I'm convinced you've been having problems, but I'm not convinced that you've found the actual issue.

Here is a bit of absolute proof...

We can all plainly see that you're experiencing an uploading problem, but your "absolute proof" demonstrates what exactly?

I have to hit the target of file size of around 130k ~ 150k for the image not to be broken when uploading using PIP.

That tells me right there that you're doing something... oh, I dunno... "irregular". Why is it that you are limited to file sizes of 130k-150k when no one else is? The image of my red Formula in my previous post is 289 kb. Do you think that Cliff has given me special image posting privileges?

The max file size is 300 kb, as shown below...

Patrick, you are calling me out for "talking out of my hat".... I can't wait to see your explanation for this

I stated you were "talking out of your hat" in regards to what you said below. You have absolutely no facts to base those comments on.

On top of that, the ones that are running windows, and try to use it, only about half can get it to work for them. All in all, you end up with a greater and greater number of images that will be broken images in a short amount of time

John, using the address in my Profile, please email me an image that you aren't able to post with PIP. Maybe I can discover what the problem is.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-23-2014).]

B3mith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for B3mithSend a Private Message to B3mithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well here's some pics of the car as it sits.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:We can all plainly see that you're experiencing an uploading problem, but your "absolute proof" demonstrates what exactly?
That tells me right there that you're doing something... oh, I dunno... "irregular". Why is it that you are limited to file sizes of 130k-150k when no one else is? The image of my red Formula in my previous post is 289 kb. Do you think that Cliff has given me special image posting privileges?

Of course there are no special privileges! But something must be the problem, as this is a VERY clear and reproducible problem here.
I do not think it is an uploading problem. Just to get it out of the way, PiP reaches 100% on the upload, and the dialog window reporting the file was uploaded sucessfully pops up. Secondly, I upload to Photobucket, Flicker and tons of forums all the time. I have probably uploaded over 500 photos in the past year, and the only time unfortunately I have a problem is with PIP. This is not an OS problem, as this happened when I was running XP, and now that I am running Windows 8.1 as well.

I stated you were "talking out of your hat" in regards to what you said below. You have absolutely no facts to base those comments on.

Well here is a little bit of factual information to back what I said up. I randomly chose a thread and page that is currently on the first page of General chat. I went through 2 pages and counted the images posted on other sites, compared with images posted with Pip. I chose "What did you do with your Fiero Today?" and the following 2 pages at random:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/067014-140.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/067014-141.html

on those 2 pages there are a total of 17 images. Of those, 9 were posted with PiP and 8 were posted to other sources. That means that 47% of the images are prone to stop working in the future.

John, using the address in my Profile, please email me an image that you aren't able to post with PIP. Maybe I can discover what the problem is.

I'll send you the picture via email, but not sure what good that is going to do. The image above uploaded with Photobucket is the exact same one that did not work with Pip. Downloading that one will be the exact digital copy of the one here. However, email is on the way.

I would LOVE to get to the bottom of this. I post all of my images with PiP in my build thread. I do not want a bunch of red X's, but at the same time it is such a hassle to upload images multiple times till they display correctly. I PM"d Cliff about this months back with all the details, sample images, and everything that I could provide. I never received a reply.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009

Originally posted by B3mith:

Wow, that is a great place to start. Sure, it needs work, but it appears to be minor cosmetic as far as the body is concerned. I started with a blown stock engine in a 86 GT that was in FAR worse shape than that, interior and exterior You should start a "Build Thread". Basically start a new thread here in general chat, stating it is a build thread.... something like "My 3800 GT Build Thread"... you get the idea. Then post pictures as you work on the car, keeping in sense, a journal from start to eventual finish.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll send you the picture via email, but not sure what good that is going to do. The image above uploaded with Photobucket is the exact same one that did not work with Pip. Downloading that one will be the exact digital copy of the one here. However, email is on the way.

John, here's the image that you sent me. I've done nothing with it. Posted with PIP.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-24-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is strange to say the very least..... It is one of those things that unfortunately will probably not be solved. I am running Windows 8.1 and the latest updates. (I had the same problem with PiP when I was running XP) I am connected via a 6 Mb DSL connection. I upload photo's to Flickr, Facebook and tons of other forums without issue. When I use PiP, the progress bar goes up, as it should, and then reports that the image was successfully uploaded.

As far as the tech goes, I have worked in the IT field for many years. I have built probably 200+ computers from scratch, hardware and software wise. I can program in VBscript, VB.net and AutoIt computer languages. I am a MS certified technician, and I am the person that all friends and family come to with their computer woes I also build and design websites. So when I say this PiP problem is tough to trace down, I can back that statement up with a lot of experience.

Just one of those great mysteries I guess.......

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B3mith:

Looks good. I'm not usually a fan of after-market wheels, but I do like these ones.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is strange to say the very least..... It is one of those things that unfortunately will probably not be solved.

We now know it's not the images themselves which are the root of your problem with PIP, so that's at least some help (if you wish to pursue a solution).
babyboy761

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for babyboy761Send a Private Message to babyboy761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been wondering about that car for sometime now.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock