Started on: 08-21-2014 07:11 AM
Replies: 19 (761 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 09-06-2014 07:35 PM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car has the 88 Drop springs from TFS installed, and the ride is extremely rough when going over even minor bumps. It pretty much feels like there is no "give" whatsoever in the suspension, both front and rear. Shocks and struts are new. Is this normal, or does it sound like they were installed incorrectly? The ride is firm, but to the point of jarring and unpleasant to drive on anything but a completely flat surface

thanks for any advice
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed Fiero Store lowering springs with new Monroe Sensa-Trac struts and shocks on my '88 Formula. Keep in mind I autocross this car, but I feel the ride is still a bit soft.

Just to ensure added travel... I flipped over the top mounting plate on the struts in the rear, and I also added half inch spacers between the bottom shock mounts and the lower control arms in the front.

This wouldn't affect the rear of your car, but were the front bump stops shaved down at all? If not, the front of your Fiero may be hitting them. I removed about 3/4" from mine.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-21-2014).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I am not sure if the bump stops were shaved down properly..The guy who installed them is sloppy so he may have just slapped them on without creating proper clearance. I think part of the problem may also be that I opted to go with urethane bushings in the rear suspension. I've heard a few people mention lately that rubber for the rear of the 88 is a better idea for driveablility reasons. What I am getting is a very distinct "knock" on all 4 corners when going over rough pavement or bumps. Handling is fine, and there are no noises when cruising on smooth pavement.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

What I am getting is a very distinct "knock" on all 4 corners when going over rough pavement or bumps. Handling is fine, and there are no noises when cruising on smooth pavement.

Hmmm... I dunno then. I can go over railroad tracks and not hear any "knocks", even when the front bottoms out (as it can still do even after removing 3/4" from the front bump stops).
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty you still need to trim the front bump stops. You ride will be much better. Rodney is going to be offering replacement rubber bushings for the 88 soon. I plan to install them on my car. The poly's on mine tend to creak in cold weather.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had those lowering spring and I did NOT like the harsh ride either.
However, I changed to coil overs only in the rear but kept the front lowering springs and I love the ride now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

I had those lowering spring and I did NOT like the harsh ride either.

Would that harsh ride have been due to bottoming out or to poly bushings? I don't understand why the (supposedly) same lowering springs feel somewhat soft to me on my Formula. Would the rubber suspension bushings I have make that much of a difference?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Would that harsh ride have been due to bottoming out or to poly bushings? I don't understand why the (supposedly) same lowering springs feel somewhat soft to me on my Formula. Would the rubber suspension bushings I have make that much of a difference?

Not sure on the bushings, my issue was the rear spring wasn't adequate for my level of ride quality. The front was ok as I kept that spring.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

...my issue was the rear spring wasn't adequate for my level of ride quality.

Interesting. I on the other hand, want a stiffer ride... and for the back I'm considering installing coilovers with 325 lb springs that I have here. I suspect these will be stiffer than the rear lowering springs that are currently installed.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interesting. I on the other hand, want a stiffer ride... and for the back I'm considering installing coilovers with 325 lb springs that I have here. I suspect these will be stiffer than the rear lowering springs that are currently installed.

I went from TFS lowering springs to 350# west shore fabricators coil overs with the 12" spring and the ride was considerably less harsh.
The Fiero also has a 3800 SC/4T65e-HD if that makes any difference?
x-thumpr-x

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cam,
What shocks & struts are you running? I know the KYB's are a stiffer ride and you do feel everything on the road. Sensa-Tracs are probably the preferred for a softer comfortable ride. Koni's adjustable are the best but try finding them now.
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running brand new koni shocks in the front, and almost new monroe struts in the rear. I have not yet checked the bump stops...(not sure how to tell if they are hitting while the car is just parked)
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can lay down in front of the car and try to take a look at the bump stop. Here is what it looks like when it is sitting on the bump stop:

Here is what a 24.6" (205/50/16) looks like sitting on the bump stop as well. With stock sized wheels/tires, there can be about 1 1/2" gap that can't be closed w/o trimming the bump stop.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I have not yet checked the bump stops...(not sure how to tell if they are hitting while the car is just parked)

Well, you could at least see how much of a gap there is. When I installed cut springs on my '84 years ago, I discovered after a couple weeks that the front was actually sitting on the bump stops. No wonder the ride was a bit harsh! (Yes, I reduced the height of the bump stops at that point, but on an '84-87 it's quite a job. On an '88 it's very easy.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-01-2014).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone, I will take a look next weekend

Much appreciated

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a set of the 1.5" drop springs, and I didn't like the look so I removed 1/4 of the top coil, and it brought it down perfect, but now I have 3/4 inch of shock travel before the shock body bottoms out on the shock mounting pad. I had to remove the intire bump stop. Its just too low, but I Love the look. Problem is that when I drive on the Highway and hit a big bump, the shock slams the bottom of the mounting pad and it feels like the whole front end is lifting off the ground. The ride sucks, but on new paved roads, its a dream. I have a complete AMS tubular front end going on this winter, I went with dropped spindles and coilovers so I hope I can get the look with a smooth ride. Check to see how much room you have between stock body and mounting pad.

Rob
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Problem is that when I drive on the Highway and hit a big bump, the shock slams the bottom of the mounting pad and it feels like the whole front end is lifting off the ground.

Did you install 1/2" spacers between the bottom shock mounts and the lower control arms? (I've done that after seeing it mentioned in a fieroguru thread.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-06-2014).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you install 1/2" spacers between the bottom shock mounts and the lower control arms? (I've done that after seeing it mentioned in a fieroguru thread.)

That was the plan, but instead of paying $50 bucks for the spacers I dropped $xxxx.xx with AMS and did the tubular, big mistake, but I can't do anything about that now, im stuck with making this **** work on my car. Live and learn. If only guru had his 13" kit back then, I would have went a different route.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

That was the plan, but instead of paying $50 bucks for the spacers...

What spacers were you thinking of using that cost $50? I used four large nuts from Home Depot that might've cost me $2 tops.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you trim the bump stop, you also should check that you do not bottom out the shock. The absolute worst offender is the KYB shock as it is longer than both stock and KONI. Here is a good visual:

If you bottom out the shock about the time you hit the bump stops, then shim the shock mounting point on the bottom of the lower a-arm lower. Washers, nuts, aluminum spacers, etc... any of these work, just as long as the mounting point is lowered enough so the bump stop hits well before the shock bottoms out. I had some 1 1/4" aluminum spacers, so I cut 2 of them in half and turned them down to 1/2".

I have revisited my bump stop trimming technique. Here is how I used to do it - just trim it down at the top and one side:

I decided to cut off the vertical metal part (upside down "U") and then trim the bump stop on 2 sides to make the top of it smaller. This should help soften the impact when I hit the bump stops:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 09-06-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock