Motor Trend Recognition by Pegasus88GT
Started on: 08-19-2014 05:13 PM
Replies: 28 (1218 views)
Last post by: California Kid on 09-05-2014 07:44 PM
Pegasus88GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if anyone saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8pOA8dNMSU

Make sure to vote here:

http://www.hagerty.com/arti.../08/18/Cult-Classics

[This message has been edited by Pegasus88GT (edited 08-19-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero is popular because it is the ideal mid engine platform for a hot rod. What other make of car has experienced the amount of modifications that Fiero owners have done. As for the Corvair, it is a piece of unsafe junk. I once owned one years ago and in the rain going around a turn the rear end has a habit of ending up in front of you. Real scary in traffic. I would not touch one with a 10' pole. It is unsafe at any speed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So which one of you guys is the one that walked into his stereo shop with the Pegasus tattoo? You know it had to be one of us.

Jim
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Voted for the corvair! Just kidding
Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. This needs to be in O/T as well.

Can't let a Corvair beat us.

Brad
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Bump. This needs to be in O/T as well.

Can't let a Corvair beat us.

Brad

I don't know I am torn, the Corvair was, well the Corvair and it was on one of Nader's hit lists for it being something he felt was unsafe, besides I had a girlfriend who had a convertible one and I really loved her but hated the car, but it was easier to get laid in than the Fiero.
I don't know but I guess seeing I already voted for the Fiero I should just let it stand, or can I vote again and change my mind.

Besides I do have the Fiero model in question and it has never left me stranded, YET. Oh ya by the way you can vote repeatedly.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was it just me or did those guys seem real uncomfortable when they were describing the cars?
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
--------

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 08-20-2014).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like these guy's were kind of forcing the enjoyment with the two car's. It's like they were pretending to enjoy em. I doubt either of them know about this site, nor REALLY know about the community.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The Fiero is popular because it is the ideal mid engine platform for a hot rod. What other make of car has experienced the amount of modifications that Fiero owners have done. As for the Corvair, it is a piece of unsafe junk. I once owned one years ago and in the rain going around a turn the rear end has a habit of ending up in front of you. Real scary in traffic. I would not touch one with a 10' pole. It is unsafe at any speed.

My first car was a 65 Corvair Monza. Great car, loved it. I had no issues with handling at all; rain, snow, ice, dry, dirt, gravel.....
Ralph Nader did the car a great injustice with his criticism of the handling.

Dennis, IMHO your comments rank right up there with "Don't all Fieros catch on fire?".

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Corvair, just like the Porsche 911 and any other rear engine car is subject to "snap" over steer when pushed to the limit or when the steering is over corrected. The Fiero does not have the problem to the same degree because its center of gravity is further forward like the Porsche Cayman. The more power the rear engine car has the more likely an inexperienced driver will reach the limit and experience "snap" over steer.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the Hagerty link "The Pontiac has the mid-engine 2.4L “Iron Duke” inline four. "

2.4?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Corvairs are awesome. I'd own for sure if I had the room.
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first new car was a Corvair,a 1964 Monza.GM had a car that came with my engine(I think it had 102, maybe 110 hp)all the way up to 180 hp that,if I remember right,ran in the 12's at the dragstrip. I had an instruction book for puttinga a small block where the back seat was.There are probably some V8 Corvairs still out there.I remember mine handling like it was on rails going around tight curves.

------------------
Question my ability,question my intelligence,never question my integrity!

87drivetrain http://fieroaddiction.com/SBCTa.html

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I learned to drive in my brother's 63 Corvair Monza four speed.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An ex brother in law of mine had a 67 Corvair with 140hp, it was fast but I remember that he and other Corvair owners added weight to the front by putting a bag of sand or cement in the front trunk because the front was so light.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I voted for the Fiero, but I did own a Corvair convertable w/ 110 hp engine w/ 140 hp dual exhaust. Sounded great.

Two interesting cars to compare. Both drive very different, my corvair had the 2 speed powerglide auto. I enjoyed driving it as a cruiser. Would not say it was a sports car.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

My first car was a 65 Corvair Monza. Great car, loved it. I had no issues with handling at all; rain, snow, ice, dry, dirt, gravel.....
Ralph Nader did the car a great injustice with his criticism of the handling.

Dennis, IMHO your comments rank right up there with "Don't all Fieros catch on fire?".

As my post indicated I once owned a Corvair too and I experienced the "merry go round" effect first hand more than once. Take a sharp turn in the rain with that car and it more than fishtailed. I am fortunate that I wasn't killed. Plus that car was in the shop every other week. Having the engine and transmission in back of the rear wheels makes this car very dangerous. All Corvairs were built this way but if you believe that its a good design I'm not telling you not to buy one!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I once owned a Corvair too and I experienced the "merry go round" effect first hand

I did 2 360s on a curved bridge once on a wet road, somehow missed everything in my path. I think I may have pooped myself at the time. X%X%!
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I went and voted when I first saw the thread, but I just now watched the video. Good lord both of those guys are ANNOYING.
That video is definitely better as text only.

As my post indicated I once owned a Corvair too and I experienced the "merry go round" effect first hand more than once.

Did you have the tires inflated to 32psi all the way around?

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-22-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like both of them but the Fiero is the one I own for a reason. Besides I can go almost anywhere in it that has a road while our Corvair we had not so much, if it broke down you were screwed every time!
PFF
System Bot
Angellightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngellightningSend a Private Message to AngellightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't decide. Maybe I'll vote for the Fiero, since I like the earlier Corvair design better. I've always liked the 1986 SE 2M4 cars with factory aero fascias.

[This message has been edited by Angellightning (edited 08-23-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The same thing happens to lots of people who can't drive to save their souls.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when do they reveal who won the voting?

Love both cars but had to vote for the Fiero. Go Fiero!
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As my post indicated I once owned a Corvair too and I experienced the "merry go round" effect first hand more than once. Take a sharp turn in the rain with that car and it more than fishtailed. I am fortunate that I wasn't killed. Plus that car was in the shop every other week. Having the engine and transmission in back of the rear wheels makes this car very dangerous. All Corvairs were built this way but if you believe that its a good design I'm not telling you not to buy one!

Just FYI... i've done this twice, in the rain, and once autcrossing. It can happen to anyone really. The rain one was really, really, really bad. Taking a moderate left, and all of a sudden the back just kept turning, but I was ready to go straight, it pulled me into the oncoming traffic lanes and spun me all the way around the other direction. The car stalled, and I sat there shaking for a few minutes before I built the courage to start it up and drive it again.

- Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT 3800sc
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

Pegasus88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pegasus88GTSend a Private Message to Pegasus88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pegasus88GT:

We lost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HipCNoHzpmg

too many people who know nothing about fiero's voting.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this while looking for something else, look behind the Fiero:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock