Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  To hatchback or not to hatchback that is the question!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
To hatchback or not to hatchback that is the question! by KOS
Started on: 08-01-2014 07:45 PM
Replies: 27 (1061 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 01-31-2015 05:00 AM
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have my widebody with the 512 bumper. I also have the hatchback and I do have a trunk lip spoiler too. (not the camaro one people use but the one from fiero fiberglass I think?).

I am kind of on the fence with it right now and I am trying to decide if I remove the stock wing and just add on the trunk lip spoiler to the stock back or do the hatchback with the trunk lip. (I already have the hatchback btw)

I am also planning a motor swap. 3800 sc but going turbo, which I also have as well....

Here is how the car looks now

If anyone has any pics of their widebody with stock lenses and the lip spoiler as well as ones with the hatch/stock lenses/and lip spoiler would be much appreciated. I am kinda just looking for something to sway me either way...What do you guys think?
------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 01-22-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ClayTonto's car is very similar to what you are looking for:

Here is the build thread with a lot more pictures:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000085.html

If you are going to have a hatch, then there must be something worth looking at in the engine bay!
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I have seen his. I hoping to find something with stock rear lights, and even sail panels too. Also the ones I have seen with the just the trunk lip have been chopped
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one has any thoughts what they like better? Stock with lip or hatchback with lip?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Oneredfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneredfieroClick Here to visit Oneredfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OneredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the look of the hatchback. Not a fan of the lip spoiler. edit= nice looking car.

[This message has been edited by Oneredfiero (edited 08-02-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

No one has any thoughts what they like better? Stock with lip or hatchback with lip?

The hatchback feels weird on a Fiero to me, because it's a mid engine car. It doesn't really fit with the stock rear clip design/sail panels, or having the trunk in the rear, I think.

The lip spoiler looks great, but it might be a little too narrow for a wide body car, and you might need to widen it to fit the lines better.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hatch it . Dare too be different . What marker lights does the wide body use
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboy_gt:

Hatch it . Dare too be different . What marker lights does the wide body use

The widebody looks like it uses Mini Cooper side reflectors.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah the mini cooper side markers are what is used.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008

Here is a photo chop

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 01-20-2015).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No hatch but then again the PS could be the problem.
PFF
System Bot
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the hatch idea but I think it makes the rear look heavy. The Fiero is to short and stocky to have a hatch. My 2 cents
kristinagalloway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kristinagallowaySend a Private Message to kristinagallowayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hatch for me, it looks better.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the hatchback is like a 20 foot paint job. It looks good at a distance, but the Fiero body wasn't really designed for it. If you designed a few big pieces of carbon fiber or something, to cover up all the ugly bits of the engine bay, like Ferrari and Lamborghini do, then it would at least make looking through the glass not look as bad. I also don't like the mounting mechanism (which with Archie's kit re-uses the stock decklid hinges, but mated to the roof), and the lack of sealing between the hatch panel and the sides and roof. And the third brake light isn't relocated. I think with the glass, it will weigh more than the stock decklid too, and it's another piece of glass that's a pain to clean.

On the other hand, it should reduce drag quite a bit, which would give a nice bump to highway fuel economy. I have a love/hate world view with the hatch right now. I'd really like one for the aero benefits, but the other things put me off a bit.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a hatch fan. The current design is what makes the Fiero unique.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not go for it all ---- station wagon rear end -- something like ---

Just kidding
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only because you specifically asked for opinions, I think the hatch makes the car look portly. It throws the visual weight distribution way too far back. It works for classic cars like the old Datsun 240/260, Jaguar XKE, Mazda RX7, and even the older style Corvettes because they balanced the look with a long nose. The Fiero doesn't have the benefit of that with such a short wheelbase. But clearly it's a matter of personal opinion.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what about with a chop?

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Only because you specifically asked for opinions, I think the hatch makes the car look portly. It throws the visual weight distribution way too far back. It works for classic cars like the old Datsun 240/260, Jaguar XKE, Mazda RX7, and even the older style Corvettes because they balanced the look with a long nose. The Fiero doesn't have the benefit of that with such a short wheelbase. But clearly it's a matter of personal opinion.

I don't think the wheelbase is too short for it. The C3/C4 wheelbase was only a few small inches longer than the Fiero. Likewise with the 300ZX. But the Fiero wasn't designed with a hatch, while those cars were. From a full side view, the fastback shouldn't look any different with or without the hatch, really.

But yeah, like I said. I have a love/hate view of the hatch right now.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hatch on a chop looks sweet, I'm just too tall to drive it then.
You have some big plans.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My hatch is ordered I love it. I think it's the best add on u can do after uve swapped the engine
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
The C3/C4 wheelbase was only a few small inches longer than the Fiero.

I don't consider a 4.6" difference small.

Originally posted by dobey:
From a full side view, the fastback shouldn't look any different with or without the hatch, really.

Trouble is, virtually no one ever looks at a low car from a true side view.

What about with a chop?

I'm not taking that bait.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing stuff like body kits is like sticking a knife through the chest. Especially stuff like turning Fiero's into lambo's and so on. Why not keep a Fiero the way it was intended? Whether it's a fast back, notch back, or even a Mera. Just keep them the way they are. I am all about engine swaps, interior swaps, and so on but changing the appearance of a car completely defeats the aggressiveness of a fiero. But aye, that's just me.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought the rear looked more aggressive than the front. I like keeping the look close enough to original if modified and I think the widebody for Archie does that. I would like to have an original and widebody. I do like that second hatch of Madcurl's car. I wish I could see one in person so I could make a better decision. .
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Seeing stuff like body kits is like sticking a knife through the chest. Especially stuff like turning Fiero's into lambo's and so on. Why not keep a Fiero the way it was intended? Whether it's a fast back, notch back, or even a Mera. Just keep them the way they are. I am all about engine swaps, interior swaps, and so on but changing the appearance of a car completely defeats the aggressiveness of a fiero. But aye, that's just me.

eh, I like the look of my modified car much better than the stock look, but that is just me. I think customizing it makes it my own. As long as someone does something to improve the look (even if it is just stock restoration) I think it makes the cars better and increases values overall. However I like things that have been modified to show someones taste/personality better whether I like it personally or not.

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I'm not taking that bait.

why? it looks really good. I actually think the flow of the hatch works better on a chopped car.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO the Fiero is exactly what it is! Not only does it own it's own factory designs, just like any other production car. But the Fiero has been a MUSE since day one almost.

noun: muse; plural noun: muses
synonyms: inspiration, creative influence, stimulus; formalafflatus
"the poet's muse"

I have been speaking to my wife about how there should be a Fiero car show on Velocity...highlighting all the amazing stories around the Fiero.
There are stories about the cars, the history and the many amazing people from the beginning at the Factory all the way to today (Kathryn's Fiero).
This car has sparked the imagination & unique builds of many cool cars & some not so cool...but it is the inspiration to be creative.

KOS...go with what feels right to YOU!

No matter what you choose, it will be an Awesome car! You are putting so much of yourself into your car and that is truly what makes a car great.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 01-22-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

why? it looks really good. I actually think the flow of the hatch works better on a chopped car.

Chopped + longitudinal LSx + Porsche trans + trunk delete + CF cover panels for all the nasty bits of the engine bay and to tie it all together. Then a hatch would be a good way to show it all off.

I still think there needs to be a lot more work done to really make the hatch worth it though, on top of the relatively simple kit from Archie.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2015 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hatch would look better if it was a little lower than the sails but came up to them at the side edge, and it help direct the air down the hatch and over the duck tail,
It looks better on the chop top than the stock roof line.. the stock line with hatch looks to much like a Honda crx

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock