Started on: 07-29-2014 11:04 AM
Replies: 5 (363 views)
Last post by: IRMFieroKid on 06-01-2017 11:13 PM
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As everyone may have surmised by now, I purchased the 1984 IMSA GT from Pontiackid86 (Rick).

I am wanting to document my restoration of the car and need help finding information.

First, I believe this is possibly Jim Sutter's personal car from when he owned IRM. I'm not positive but I am pretty confident this is the one.

Here is what I have learned so far about the car.

Verified on/in car
  • Stage III or IV IRM Widebody GT kit and chin spoiler
  • Quad-4 swap w/auto trans
  • Upgraded brakes - front and rear (need to verify upgrade size/type)
  • Steel braided brake lines
  • Front upper and lower tubular control arms
  • Rear tubular control arms
  • Koni shocks
  • Front coil overs
  • Rear coil-overs
  • Fully optioned from the factory PW/PL/PM/CC/AC/Defrost/Trunk release, etc.
  • Hard top (no sunroof)
  • Car is currently white
  • Larger front sway bar
  • Larger rear sway bar
  • 16" Centerline wheels

Items looking into
VERIFIED
  • BelTech drop spindles or coil-overs (front is lowered)
  • Larger sway bar in front
  • Larger brake booster

Items it had but removed by Pontiackid86 (Rick)
  • Appears to have been a PISA dash cover
  • Leather seats
  • Carbon Fiber Headliner

Anyone who may have pictures or installation instructions (quad 4 and body panels) or original IRM documents that they can scan and email would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really interested in finding old pictures of Jim with this car.

Special thanks to Rick for selling this Fiero to me and a special thanks to FIEROPHREAK for taking tons of photos for me to start the documentation process and temporarilly storing my car until the transport company can bring here to Texas.

I'll post some pics when I get home.

[This message has been edited by IwannaIRM (edited 08-01-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, just got some news on the car. Information is promising and from a reliable source. I love how there are so many people on this forum that have so much stored knowledge, pictures, history and experiences with the Fiero.

Still looking for more information and especially photos. All help is greatly appreciated.

Will share the info once I get it compiled.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATED 08/01/14

More verification made on parts the car has and has been noted in the original post.

Still need help locating old IRM catalogs, photos, installation instructions etc. I think QUAD GT up in Canada and Raydar may have some Quad 4 Installation manuals but I'm not sure.

Now for the information that I received.

As told by my source, The car that you have purchased is Jim Sutter's "last IRM car." The story behind the IMSA is that Jim had put the body kit on for himself, a person was interested in buying the car and this person/customer paid to have the quad four installed. After the engine was completed, the un-named person could not come up with the rest of the money to buy the car and widebody kit installation.

Beyond this the story is unknown.

So it appears this IMSA was indeed, Jim Sutter's car based on the circumstances.

Now this is why it is so important to find out as much information on this car as possible. I want to document it as fully as possible and will do my best, with help from others, to restore this car to like new condition just as Jim had it when it was completed. The only differences being the interior, since the main pieces are gone, and perhaps the paint color. I may be swayed into keeping it white for memory sake.

I am waiting for pictures from my source at this time. Hope to get them over the weekend.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what are your plans for it? Going to get the quad 4 running? Any paint plans yet?
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to update this.

The IMSA has been sitting under a shaded resting place in Texas. Enjoying the company of some other stock and modified Fieros. It's not alone and in good hands waiting it's turn to be brought back to life.

mrfred8, the plans are to eject the quad 4. There is no guarantee it runs and with the time and labor to pull it, clean it, diagnos and fix it, it was decided it would be easier to install my 3.8S/C into the car. It will look fast and go fast when it's finished. While the engine and trans are being installed I will be completely restoring the suspension and brakes and then there will be a long wait until I can get to the interior and the paint.

For now, I have Mr. Mike's seat covers that will go on the seats and I will clean the interior as best I can and install a FS headliner with perferoted leather. Will also try to get some sound-deadener installed while cleaning the interior. I will definately contact TXGOOD to get another cup-holder made along with a glove box and console door cover. Only other thing for now on the interior is I may have the firewalls cut and boxed for the subwoofer and amps. That should hold me over until I can afford the new dash and door panels that Amida makes.

As far as paint, I thought I had decided on the color but lately (last few years) too many metallic blue Fieros have been painted, including my custom 84. So, I'm back to the drawing board on which color it will be. One direction I was leaning was to have it painted similar to the Valvoline car but I don't think I'm that brave to do that kind of paint job. I may go with a metallic orange similar to sunset orange metallic but not as brown.

We'll see what happens.

Once destruction/construction begins I will start posting progress photos...hoping to have it completed for a late summer early fall event. All depends on my builders schedule and my money.
IRMFieroKid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2017 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IRMFieroKidSend a Private Message to IRMFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a couple years...do you have any updates?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock