Rear deck lid wing on Coupe by craigtbone
Started on: 07-28-2014 06:13 PM
Replies: 33 (1084 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 07-30-2014 10:12 PM
craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '88 Coupe does not have a rear wing. I am generally of a mind that form follows function. If something is there for purely asthetic reasons and does not serve a technical purpose then it should not be there.

While repairing the damage caused by being rear-ended the deck lid will be replaced. My first thought is no wing but it does look nice.

Is there any real evidence that the wing on a Coupe either helps or hurts or has no effect on engine cooling?

As far as aerodynamics is concerned there was a thread or two a while back that I will look up again and refresh my memory of that discussion.

Also, how much does the wing block the view out of the rear window?

Craig T.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I like having a wing on a Fiero, especially notchbacks. It helps fill out an otherwise skimpy profile on the tail-end. They do virtually nothing for performance if that's what you're asking... merely cosmetic. They block about a third of your visibility I would say.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On both my Formula and my fastback GT I just removed them. I'm more about the clean decklid look though.

Yeah about 3/4ths to a third or so of your vision will be obstructed with it installed. If you sit fairly low in the car that could increase. As far as any effects on aero or similar you can read a lot about it out there. Personally I feel the weight of the spoiler outweighs any aero advantages it could potentially provide.

One thing if you do get a Fiero spoiler is make sure you get one for a notchback. While all Fiero spoilers carry the same design, starting in 1986 the rear studs had to be slightly repositioned on fastbacks to clear part of the underside skeleton. On many spoilers you can just swap the rear studs around. However, on some early notchback spoilers they are notchback specific and do not have enough 'meat' in the spoiler stands to swap the studs.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having the wing is a matter of personal taste. I don't like it. I've removed the decklid (with wing) from my '88 Formula and swapped onto it the decklid I had on another notchie on which I had custom fit a spoiler from a '92 Chevy Lumina. I like it a lot better.

This is the decklid (with spoiler) that I've now got on my Formula...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-28-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Having the wing is a matter of personal taste. I don't like it. I've removed the decklid (with wing) from my '88 Formula and swapped onto it the decklid I had on another notchie on which I had custom fit a spoiler from a '92 Chevy Lumina. I like it a lot better.

Ummm...yuck..My opinion though. Sorry Pat.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Ummm...yuck..My opinion though. Sorry Pat.

Jason, if you don't like it you didn't have to re-post the image again.

As I said, it's all a matter of personal taste. I don't like an ironing board hanging off the back of my Fieros, but to each their own.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason, if you don't like it you didn't have to re-post the image again.

As I said, it's all a matter of personal taste. I don't like an ironing board hanging off the back of my Fieros, but to each their own.

LOL. You are so right. I love the ironing board comment!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No function other than the majority of those who see it like it better.

The coupe just has a better more filled out look about it with the wing. To be honest it looks better on the coupe vs. the fastback as the wing is made to meet with the coupe quarters.

To me the wing echo's the look of the old GTO spoiler. It just makes the coupe a little more Pontiac to me.

But it is what ever trips your trigger.

As for vision you have major blind spots in the car anyways and a little wing take just only a little more of it away. You are going to be using the mirrors anyways so it matters little.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...I had custom fit a spoiler from a '92 Chevy Lumina.

I've seen that spoiler several times on a Lumina and thought, "what if..?"

Nice job.

I think a bare decklid on a coupe just looks... unfinished. I still like it batter than the rack, though.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Nice job.

Now there's a guy who knows what he's talking about. Thanks Raydar. (Jason, pay attention. )

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping to avoid the heated discussion that we had already.

I am an engineer and my preference in style usually goes to simple, clean, if not needed it needs not to be there.

Having said that the wing on the Coupe is beginning to look good to me.

If there was any data that shows there is some benefit to having the wing (like engine cooling) I would be much more interested in installing one.

For me, I am not going to drive this car fast (yes, I am an old fart) so high speed aerodynamics is not a concern.

The reduction in visibility might be the deciding factor. There are already too many blind spots so adding more visual obstructions might not be what I want.

As always, any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigtbone:

I was hoping to avoid the heated discussion that we had already.

I am an engineer and my preference in style usually goes to simple, clean, if not needed it needs not to be there.

Having said that the wing on the Coupe is beginning to look good to me.

If there was any data that shows there is some benefit to having the wing (like engine cooling) I would be much more interested in installing one.

For me, I am not going to drive this car fast (yes, I am an old fart) so high speed aerodynamics is not a concern.

The reduction in visibility might be the deciding factor. There are already too many blind spots so adding more visual obstructions might not be what I want.

As always, any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

As stated there is no benefit. Engine gets its cooling from under the car.

Pontiac back in the say likes to elude that there was some benefit but stopped short of stating a true benefit. Few road cars ever really saw a real gain in performance on the road. Even the cars today like the new Z28 and C7 Z06 still have to see some real speed to make use of these features.

No heated argument here as aero add on's for a street car are limited in real performance value. But the look and styling value is great. If you like the looks do it if not skip it as what you see in you eye is all that matters. It is your car and you are the one that has to be happy looking at it.

Now on a Coupe with the standard nose there is some aero benefit to a Air Dam and even a vented hood but it even only comes into play at 90 MPH. Mine used to get a light nose at these speeds with the build up of high pressure under the car. The addition of these items make it feel more planted and cuts the high pressure area. Also it makes for a good bug deflector as the air pushing up out of the hood blows the bugs over the car LOL!

As for vision it block little of what already is a blind spot. I have never given it much thought over nearly 30 years. I have driven much worse.

The bottom line is do what you like and don't worry about what anyone else says. The facts there laid out and if you have to have a function vs. style make your own choice.

I pick style as there is more value there in a road car than function but that is just me and the choice I made for my car. I also have a Indy Scoop one of the last original ones from the 80's. I like it just because it is an interesting piece of history of the car and interesting as few other cars used anything like it. Mine is not hooked up as it disrupts the air flow in the engine compartment and has no real value as a intake on a closed look computer system. But I have met a lot of neat people just over the scoop and questions about it. It is like a wing on a Superbird street car. A racing heritage but just something neat and different on the street.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe style is the major factor here but to say the wings have no function is utterly false. All you need to do is drive 55mph or faster in the rain and you can see through the water droplet movement that there is an aerodynamic function being performed. It's the cheap mans wind tunnel! having said that, is the input major or necessary? Probably not, but it does function.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's not make this thread a debate. Figured I would just get this out of the way.

The spoiler has a function, but it is at a minimum. And when I say minimum I mean, having it on or off wouldn't make a difference as far as the 'feel' of the car, even on a track.

I do like the look of the spoiler on the car though. It seems to compliment the rest of the body and makes it look slick. With out the spoiler it just seems to look too small; maybe even less aggressive.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Me, too. I think the Lumina spoiler looks great on the notchback.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know Pat, I think I'm coming around on the Lumina spoiler. Just looking more closely to the lines of the car to the spoiler and It really does flow nicely.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not even getting into this one after the last fiasco about them.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

* I am generally of a mind that form follows function. If something is there for purely asthetic reasons and does not serve a technical purpose then it should not be there.

* My first thought is no wing but it does look nice.

Craig T.

Hmmm.. the inner conflict

If you like the look do it, sometimes its about art and not just function. It doesn't block much view, itd be easy to sit in someone elses car and see how it looks too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-29-2014).]

craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the good thoughts. That is a great photo out of the back, 2.5.

I will be keeping an eye out for a wing, I believe.

Craig T.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for all of the good thoughts. That is a great photo out of the back, 2.5.

I will be keeping an eye out for a wing, I believe.

Craig T.

The key is to use the right wing too. The Factory one was designed to fit the car and was well done and light. Many aftermarkets are heavy and do not fit the car well. The Fiero wing echo's the 1968 GTO wing and carries a Pontiac look about it.

Keep in mind about the springs on the deck will need to be moved up to hold the extra weight.

As for those who think the wing works keep thinking that way if it makes you feel better but do not mislead people just because the rain drops blow off.

Most of the air on the rear wing of the Fiero comes from the engine vents and is just air exiting the rear engine bay. It delivers no down force or any real benefits. Might also note the IMSA cars never used the wings and use a deeper spoiler that caught the air from the sides of the B pillars.

I even remember driving in the winter years ago the snow would not even blow off the center of the wing and would only melt on the sides do to the engine hear from the vents.

If I recall Pontiac tried to claim some slight drag decrease with the wing that amounted to little. It was the marketing people trying to create something that was not there. The fact is a functional wing will only create more drag if it really works.

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks good and looks like it has a function. Looks a lot like a shorter version of the Dole race Fiero rear spoiler!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-29-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't blow Pat's head too much....
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't blow Pat's head too much....

Sorry to disagree with you but a real functional spoiler looks better than the factory spoiler. I had a 88 base coupe with the factory spoiler and had planned on putting a real spoiler that actually worked and looked good. Now I have a 87 GT and would like to replace with a real spoiler.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pat, your Lumina spoiler is very similar to the Dodge Shadow /Plymouth Sundance wraparound spoiler that several here have already upgraded to.

On another note, I feel the Notchie NEEDS a spoiler to offset the very squared off rear end of the car.
Kit
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG, you guys better stop re-posting that image before I develop a swelled head.

I don't particularly care for the factory wing, but I feel that a bare decklid on a notchie looks naked. And the car doesn't look balanced. It needs something on the decklid to give it a bit more mass back there. IMO this spoiler is a happy compromise. It's very subtle.

I feel like I need to take a good picture of the rear of the Formula (the decklid/spoiler's new home) to show how the spoiler hangs off the back. I moved it much further back than it was originally mounted on the Lumina. Yes, I'd like to take a picture of it... but I need to paint it first.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OMG, you guys better stop re-posting that image before I develop a swelled head.

I feel the need for people to stop posting the picture of your spoiler before I puke

For some reason it reminds me of those things the ricer kids put on their cars to Make Them Look Fast !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-30-2014).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

For some reason it reminds me of those things the ricer kids put on their cars to Make Them Look Fast !

Steve

The first Fiero I bought had one of those aluminum erector set looking wings on it. I quickly removed it and sold it but only got $25 for it.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-30-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I feel the need for people to stop posting the picture of your spoiler before I puke.

Steve, you're such a ray of sunshine at times.

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forget...are you still looking for pictures of a bumperpad notchie with a GT wing?

My 84 SC

------------------

FieroGTChile87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTChile87Send a Private Message to FieroGTChile87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While the factory spoiler serves no functional purpose, and blocks visibility, I've found it to be effective at blocking the headlights from trucks and SUVs, thus, easing the strain a bit.

PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't particularly care for the factory wing, but I feel that a bare decklid on a notchie looks naked. And the car doesn't look balanced. It needs something on the decklid to give it a bit more mass back there. IMO this spoiler is a happy compromise. It's very subtle.

I feel like I need to take a good picture of the rear of the Formula (the decklid/spoiler's new home) to show how the spoiler hangs off the back. I moved it much further back than it was originally mounted on the Lumina. Yes, I'd like to take a picture of it... but I need to paint it first.

Post it up!! Hell, I posted lots of pics of my crappy Formula. After looking at it ALL those times...It wore on me. I think if any other spoiler, other than stock, was to be used this would be it. And I learned I need to use more smilies in my posts!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And I learned I need to use more smilies in my posts!

That's correct, but you might need to start bringing in new ones.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To further muddy the waters, I remember reading an article (it was on the internet... it had to be true) that stated that the stock Fiero wing helped to reduce turbulence coming off of the decklid, reducing the coefficient of drag by a small but not insignificant amount (if you're building a racecar.)
In reality, I really doubt that you'll notice a difference. (I removed the wing from my coupe as an experiment, and didn't notice a thing, in terms of handling or performance. Nor did I notice anything when I added my wraparound IMSA spoiler. Except that when someone was tailgating me, their headlights were blocked more completely. )

If you want a smaller (than the IMSA) wraparound spoiler, the Dodge Shadow ES spoiler looks a LOT like the Lumina spoiler, and appears to fit the decklid perfectly. They're close enough in design, that the choice would probably depend upon which one was easier to find if you were looking.

(Reading some of the posts, I find it amusing that people actually get bent out of shape about this. It ultimately comes down to "do what you like". I'm glad I missed the other thread.)

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay