Jason88Notchie's Formula by Jason88Notchie
Started on: 07-25-2014 10:06 PM
Replies: 53 (1621 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 12-31-2016 05:05 PM
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys. As some may know I bought my car four months ago from Holly MI. I have been driving it daily the whole time without any issues. I wanted to get another Fiero that was complete mechanically, and I think I found it. Bought it from Rick. A really nice guy that worked in the Fiero plant from when it opened till close. He really took care of this car. Lucky for me! He wanted to sell it to someone who would really take care of it and get it restored. Well Rick sold it to the right guy.

Being it's a Michigan car I was a bit apprehensive. But talking to Rick I really felt that this car may be as advertised. I took to 3 1/2 hour drive up there with my kiddos to have a look at it. When we turned on the dirt road that he lived off of, I was like OMG, this car has been driving this road all these years?? What the hell am I doing? Well got there and met Rick. I talked to him quite a bit before I went out there and he knew I was a total Fiero head. He brought out his Year Book from the plant closing and I looked over it and was really fascinated. But I was there to focus on the car. I went to the bottom of the car and looked it over the best I could. Surface rust which would be typical but not the type of rust I would expect a car living in Michigan all it's life. It spent almost half its life in Florida. It showed. The paint had the typical clear coat peel. The antenna was broke off from a renegade carwash. The interior was really nice. The dash was perfect. Small hole in the drivers side seat. I plan on Mr. Mikes anyway! And the shift surround was a little warped, typical. Took it for a test drive and I can tell the car sat for a while. Glazed brakes, and the suspension was a bit stiff from not moving.

So with all that I was going to make an offer. He was asking 2000. Well being the wheeler dealer by instinct I almost started to try and make a lower offer....well my conscience got the best of me and I said "this car is totally worth the 2000 your asking". SOLD.

Well I was nervous driving the car all that way back. I asked Rick before I left if I should bring a trailer. He said "hell no. I'd drive that thing to California and back". But still. 26 year old car, anything can happen. I had the kiddos in the Fusion following but I'd hate to have an issue. The car ran perfect all the back to Lorain County. No problems at all. And the kids and I had a really nice afternoon, stopping at Fridays on the way for lunch. I worry too much.

Like I said, been driving this car daily and It's been a dream. It soooo deserved a paint job. So to do it justice, the restore starts. I'm going to keep it mostly stock. I love the Formulas. I had an 88 Coupe with a 2.5 before and the car just screamed to me for more. I was going to convert that one, but life happens. Here is my second chance. I'm not missing it this time.

Rick (the PO) and some of his buddies from the old plant will be watching this. I told him I'll let him know once I post this thread. They are still Fiero guys through and through and love the idea of another Fiero saved. Consider it done Rick!

Here are some before pics:

Driving home.

Antenna Mod! LOL.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find & in Michigan. I like 88 Formulas.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-25-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My paint guy is pretty meticulous. I explained everything I wanted done. He took it from there. Single stage paint on panels and space frame shot and undercoated. This sucker isn't going anywhere for another 30yrs! I looked at the panels when I visited and you would not believe the depth in the finish. No orange peel and that was without wet sanding. I can't wait!! Here are some of the shots of the during process.

It's getting reassembled now....A little tease....

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1693 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Aww geezzz, a couple boring panel shots....

Did I mention...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you are going for a restore to original options, your sunroof is aftermarket.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-26-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

If you are going for a restore to original options, your sunroof is aftermarket.

That is correct. I intend on going with an electric slider sunroof at a latter time. I was doing the research on it and it can be done. It would have been better to do that before the paint, but I ran out of patientence. That would be the only mod it has. But for now I will roll with the aftermarket.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of moth balls and ready for the summer!! Damn I missed driving this car!!

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 06-08-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

...ready for the summer!!

Jason, it's a beautiful looking Formula (puts mine to shame!)... but you do a disservice to your car by taking a picture of it with your cell phone in that orientation.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Jason, it's a beautiful looking Formula (puts mine to shame!)... but you do a disservice to your car by taking a picture of it with your cell phone in that orientation.

LOL..I know. Taking up to get a good pic of it by the lake, or a better spot than my driveway. I think I will send Snapperhead the good photo to put on his website if he is so inclined to do so.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL..I know. Taking up to get a good pic of it by the lake, or a better spot than my driveway.

Jason, I hope you realize I'm not referring to the location... I'm referring to the way you held the cell phone. Turn it on its side!

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe some of us like to see the yard... & the neighbors house. & the driveway.
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Yeah. I like to share the ambiance.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez, that's a beautiful car. Regardless of what else is in the shot.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Geez, that's a beautiful car. Regardless of what else is in the shot.

Thank you!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Jason, I hope you realize I'm not referring to the location... I'm referring to the way you held the cell phone. Turn it on its side!

This was just posted in O/T. It's perfect for here.

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

NSFW. Extreme simulated violence.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-11-2015).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@ Patrick...

@ Jason... Pretty Formula. Flipped through this thread just now, and nice to see it come alive with the paint.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome car man. Its amazing what new paint will do.
Are you heading to any shows? Fierorama? Iowa?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Pat. I got some better oriented pics now.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok Pat. I got some better oriented pics now.

Excellent.

Don't know if you ever saw This.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-12-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know if you paint it, it will start breaking down weekly....right ?
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks fantastic! Nice work
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You know if you paint it, it will start breaking down weekly....right ?

After 8 months of sitting, the girl wants to go. So far so good.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1693 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Originally posted by 2.5:

Awesome car man. Its amazing what new paint will do.
Are you heading to any shows? Fierorama? Iowa?

Not in the cards for this year. Finances just won't allow it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder how hard it would be to modify that front bumper to incorporate some C4 Corvette turn/park/ driving lights into that recessed area...

https://www.google.com/sear...UA3l1mz-5GM%252C_&us g=__7B4ABHw41fqj-wIUo_iUTTiUtn4%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=FeOBVd7QCovhggT19YGwDA#imgrc=UGDMPG-oQGaykM%253A%3BjlHUA3l1mz-5GM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.corvette-web-central.com%252Fimages%252F1988-corvette-2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.corvette-web-central.com%252F C4Ask.html%3B400%3B274&usg=__7B4ABHw41fqj-wIUo_iUTTiUtn4%3D
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Wonder how hard it would be to modify that front bumper to incorporate some C4 Corvette turn/park/ driving lights into that recessed area...

[URL=https://www.google.com/search?q=c4+corvette&biw=1464&bih=747&tbm=isch&imgil=UGDMPG-oQGaykM%253A%253BjlHUA3l1mz-5GM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.corvette-web-central.com%25252FC4Ask.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=UGDMPG-oQGaykM%253A%252CjlHUA3l1mz-5GM%252 C_&us]https://www.google.com/sear...UA3l1mz-5GM%252C_&us[/URL] g=__7B4ABHw41fqj-wIUo_iUTTiUtn4%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=FeOBVd7QCovhggT19YGwDA#imgrc=UGDMPG-oQGaykM%253A%3BjlHUA3l1mz-5GM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.corvette-web-central.com%252Fimages%252F1988-corvette-2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.corvette-web-central.com%252F C4Ask.html%3B400%3B274&usg=__7B4ABHw41fqj-wIUo_iUTTiUtn4%3D

Awe Roger, I treat my cars like my women. Love em, drive em hard, and leave em.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that the stock location for the rear wing?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Is that the stock location for the rear wing?

Yes. The only alteration on the car is the after market sunroof.

Roger, the nose on the 88 coupe is very similar to the C4 Vette.It would be an interesting mod. I seen people wanting to put the aero nose on the coupe. I think that would be a better attempt for something a bit different.
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Formula decals on the door look OEM, who did those for you?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Car
PFF
System Bot
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great dude!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jims88:

They were the original decals from the factory. They were never put on the car.

Thank you for the compliments guys! Keep em coming!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1693 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Just got back from Taylor MI for my son Jaeger's welcome home from Great Lakes Naval Base. So proud of him! He's got his orders to go to the USS Blue Ridge based in Japan. Drove the Formula up there. 2hr drive and the car is flawless! Had to stay the night there. We had a blast last night.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2015 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason, What a nice find! Thanks for sharing your interesting story! $2K is a great deal. Out of curious, how many miles does it have?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Jason, What a nice find! Thanks for sharing your interesting story! $2K is a great deal. Out of curious, how many miles does it have?

Think it was around 135k. But it was babied and well maintained mechanically. They are out there bud. It took a while but these things pop up every now and then.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jims88:

You can get nice ones from
http://fierosails.com/decal.html
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

You can get nice ones from
http://fierosails.com/decal.html

Thank you for the link 2.5, good to know

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the Formula down to Mid-Ohio for the Vintage Grand Prix. Had a good time, even though it was raining for most of it. Didn't cover as much ground as we did last year. Roger was the gracious host as always. Stayed till about 10pm Saturday night. Hope it wasn't too past your bed time Roger.... Did have a few people calling out their appreciation for the Formula as they were driving by the camp site, which was cool.

Everything was great during the trip. although I need tires. Had a few hydroplane situations come up. I hate that feeling!

The picture from left to right: My brother Justin, Tamara my girlfriend, myself....(damn I soooo need a hair cut!!) and my friend Mr. Garrison.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a bit since I updated the thread. So here goes.

I put on Rodney's upper and lower ball joints. Lowers were totally wasted. Dangerous in fact. I knew they were worn at the time I put the car back on the road. Put after 6000 miles that I put on the car over the Summer took its toll. I also installed Rodney's zero lash end links. Had an issue getting them to tighten up between the control arms. Rodney sent me some extra spacers and that did the trick. I also installed new shoes for the Formula. RWL came on the car and I think it looks great! Era correct. Here are some pics I took over the weekend. I also included some interior pics. I just realized I never posted any. I have seat covers on at the moment. The passenger seat is in perfect condition. Driver's seat has a small hole and the side is worn a bit. Typical in most Fieros. I will be getting Mr. Mike covers over the winter after I park the car. I have to drive it till mid December. My daughter is buying a new car at that time. Then I get my Fusion back! Then Formula goes into moth balls again for dry dock maintenance.

Well without further adoo....here are some pics.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock