It's Always Something by wayneman
Started on: 07-21-2014 06:22 PM
Replies: 20 (414 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-23-2014 07:25 PM
wayneman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my car to death and I wish it loved me back!

In two months:

Idle control valve
ignition coil
ac fan belt
fuel filter

And now the alternator is not charging….needle pointing to 8 volts

Please, enough, just want to drive it a while. LOL

I know these are petty things but I am a perfectionist. It's a curse

Please, share your issues and thoughts. 2 cents worth

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wayneman:

I love my car to death and I wish it loved me back!

In two months:

Idle control valve
ignition coil
ac fan belt
fuel filter

Please, enough, just want to drive it a while. LOL

I know these are petty things but I am a perfectionist. It's a curse

Welcome to the life of a fiero owner...... things are just beginning my friend ..... I dont wish bad things on anyone ... BUT these cars are something else and require CONSTANT care

regards... and GOOD LUCK
Danyel
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it make you feel any better:

I have 1 Aztek that was never a problem except for rust. Loved it, so I bought a "new to me" one from Florida in November, and have driven it for about 2 weeks since. Was sold as good running but has had nonstop problems since I got it. I had to put a new engine in, new steering rack, fix wiring, fix water leak, replace ecm, replace cat,replace IAC, replace TPS, replace cam sensor, replace crank sensor, take to dealer, take to other shop, back to dealer... and it still strands me randomly. IT's been sitting at a repair shop now for 3 weeks and they can't figure it out. It's got around $3,000 in repair $ since I got it and I still can't daily drive it. Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you don't. I had a Fiero with a 3.4 that we absolutely the most reliable vehicle. NO real problems at all with it (alternator a few times though).

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 07-21-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Welcome to the life of a fiero owner...... things are just beginning my friend ..... I dont wish bad things on anyone ... BUT these cars are something else and require CONSTANT care

regards... and GOOD LUCK
Danyel

I have owned several Fieros and have found them to be very reliable. Change fluids, filters and put gas in them reliable. Tires, brake pads.......reliable.

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see the issue here. I think you need to buy another Fiero. One to drive while the other one gets worked on! Lol. Sorry, but that's the way I feel about my car as well.
Tooshea

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToosheaSend a Private Message to ToosheaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In two months:

Idle control valve
ignition coil
ac fan belt
fuel filter

Well, If you're about to replace your ALT then you should do the Waterpump at the same time.. When I was replacing my ALT my Waterpump started leaking!! UGH.. Then after driving the car for about a week my trans pan started leaking (original gasket).. I had already replaced everything you did before most of it went bad. If the car hasn't had any maintenance in 27 years, then you start driving it full time stuff is gonna go wrong. Lets hope your car loves you enough not to leave you in the middle of BFE

------------------
Tim and Lynn
1987 Fastback GT in restore mode..

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the Fiero is a driving car, but requires constant attention. It's like a baby...change, feed, play, put to sleep, repeat. Then, when everything is running OK, everything rusts out from under the body. Sold one Fiero because I couldn't keep up with the rust. I put 7 yards of fiberglass fabric, some aluminum, some rebar, and a lot of cutting/welding into it in the rear, then the front shock towers rusted through, then the fuel tank, then the floor boards, then the whole rest of the front end. The guy who bought it wouldn't believe me about the fiberglassing. Trustme, that car would have to be completely disassembled to get to the rest of the rust. I fugured if it rusted once, it would do it again, so I replaced with other materials. I don't do frame work, though, so it was time to go.
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just be happy the transmission hasn't crapped out twice on you, and the oil pump blowing up inside the engine destroying it lol. All this in my 88 coupe.

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 07-22-2014).]

FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is always something. Unfortunately, that's what you get with 26 year old car that most of use were not the original owners with. I use mine every work day, about 600 miles a week. Can't justify a new car price for 30,000 plus miles a year for just work. But, when the Fiero does need fixing, I'm the one doing it. Only had it in the shop one time to change the clutch, and that's because I didn't want to do it. Unfortunately, I had to redo it shortly thereafter because the 'GM mechanic' didn't do what he was supposed to do. Just last week, the A/C went down. CAT heat shield rubbed through an A/C line. $130 for welding, accumulator, orifice tube, R134 & some O rings and I'm good to go again. Still, much better than a new car payment with new car insurance.

Not only no car payment, I have great looking car that never goes out of style and I can work on when needed, (which at times is more than I care to admit).
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another factor is that Fiero's tend to be abused animals. By the time you bought it (your probably not the original owner ) it's probably had a lot of wear and tear. Most people don't replace parts " while they're in there" but rather when they absolutely fail. I have always told people, "if you see a Fiero for sale and it says it needs TLC, it's a dump!" Very few Fiero's were well cared for. Proof of this is how many Fiero's are off the road compared to on the road. For every one on the road there are two to three off the road.
Kit

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I have owned several Fieros and have found them to be very reliable. Change fluids, filters and put gas in them reliable. Tires, brake pads.......reliable.

Me too.
PFF
System Bot
Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
same here. It seems many are neglected and when folks actually care about them purchase them and have to troubleshoot out all the problems that resulted from neglect. It can give the car a bad rep in terms of reliability because of the years of neglect..

I had the similar experience as the OP when i first purchased my Indy.

It also should be stated many fieros out there have never been restored and have many of their original parts - which are going on 30 years old.

------------------

Owner of Fiero 1984 Indy #71

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! There are show-quality Fieros that need a little TLC. As long as the TLC is some paint chips, the center console spreading, and the headliner sagging, no big deal. There are always things wrong--even with brand new cars. It's the project cars that scare me. Who wants someone's unfinished project? Or even the finished projects of some people?

My Fiero has (that I know of) a flaky trunk light, the headliner starting to sag, the rear clip on wrong (came that way when I bought it, and apparently was one of several in a row like this), random chime, right headlight motor starting to go, cender console starting to spread, and some chips in the paint. I've fixed a lot to get it to this point. While by no means a show car, I would say it needs some TLC. I was amazed that mine is as nice as most of those I see. I was afraid I'd have the nadty car at the meets, but so far, about on par with the others.

Now don't everyone rain on my parade and tell me you brought your crappy Fiero to the meets.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no problem on bringing my crappy Fiero, and I passed this on to my son too. Fiero Proud!!!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I have no problem on bringing my crappy Fiero, and I passed this on to my son too. Fiero Proud!!!

Ha. Is it your ONLY Fiero?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Ha. Is it your ONLY Fiero?

Nah, we both have crappy Fieros.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did I forget my tires are dry-rotted and, um, old? Your tires look nicer than mine, but it may be the armour-all.

Hmmm. Mine is not white, apparently. I'm still looking to get red & black Fieros. BTW, i see in 8 colors or so, so don't go trying to go adding colors on me. Eggshell, off-white, beige, what are those?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL. Faded stock grey on the black one. The black one is my son's car. Mine is the red one. We go to Cruise-in's and such with no apology.

And as far as the original subject, truly is ALWAYS something. On my son's car the PO hacked the crap out of the wiring. Getting close now to sorting that out. The dude thought it was totally acceptable to twist wires together and duct tape in the engine compartment. And don't even get me started on the interior. The Formula was as advertised from the PO. Been driving for 4 months straight without issue. In for paint at the moment.

Edit: tires on the black car are new. And armor-alled.

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 07-23-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please, share your issues and thoughts...

I have multiple Fieros (multiple challenges!), so I usually have at least one that runs.

My trusty '84, which had been daily driven and autocrossed for four years, always ran well but started acting up. After much messing about, as discussed in This thread, I suspected it was a fuel pressure issue... maybe a bad pump, or a rotted hose inside the tank. So I dropped the tank and pulled out the sender/pump assembly...

All this hassle because some idiot mechanic/PO didn't have the common sense to put a couple of clamps on there!
wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by Patrick:[/B

All this hassle because some idiot mechanic/PO didn't have the common sense to put a couple of clamps on there!

Damm, that s@%Ks…….especially the tank drop part
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damm, that s@%Ks…….especially the tank drop part

Yeah, on a dirt driveway no less.

On the bright side, it was a cheap repair. Just used a couple old fuel line clamps from a scrapped Fiero.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock