Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Minnesota Fiero Forever show and shine - thanks!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Minnesota Fiero Forever show and shine - thanks! by woodyhere
Started on: 07-21-2014 08:33 AM
Replies: 3 (118 views)
Last post by: Silicoan86 on 07-22-2014 01:45 AM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We went to the show and shine on Saturday. It was the maiden voyage for my 87 Fiero GT. I made so many changes over the winter. It would have been smart to make one at a time and get it fine tuned and move to the next but, of course I didn't. My voltage dropped as I drove. It was a 38 mile one way trip, mostly freeway. The engine just quite a few times as we neared our destination. I found the big booster, big master cylinder are the most helpless system without vacuum. At one intersection the engine dies as we were coming to a stop, I down shifted and stupidly poked the throttle just as the engine came back to life. Holy smoky burnout! My wife was pretty scared and I had this stupid grin I couldn't get rid of.
The club members were very welcoming to us. Pete, the founder, went out of his way to being just plain a great Fiero guy. Chris was right there with help on what I thought was an alternator issue. The alt is 27 years old even though it only has 86 K on it. It's the only engine mechanical part that isn't new. We saw innovative engineering, meticulous restoration, cars in the process of being saved and lots of smiles.
We made it back home with my wife watching the FAST hand held giving me readings on voltage, temp and AFR. The car was running rich - hmmm. Voltage was low - temp at a steady 198. At least one thing was normal. Put the car in the garage and open up the trunk. At least no leaks of any vital fluids. I heard the sound like a can being crinkled in my vacuum. I took off the gas cap and it sounded like my shop vac! I plumbed up all the lines to my charcoal canister so nicely and never bothered to see if the canister worked. In short, it's plugged and didn't let the tank vent. The big fuel pump drew more current (voltage drop) the computer thought I had a fuel deliver problem and went into the limp home mode and when the drop in pressure was bad enough it shut off the injectors. My poor wife had a tough first ride in the Fiero but like always she kept a smile on her face.
My thanks to the MFF for being so helpful and friendly. The invitation is open for you folks to come to our place. I'm sure we can find a cold beverage! I had no idea many of you lived so close to me!

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woody - great to hear that you made it home in good order! Hopefully the next time you have the car out, things will go a little more smoothly!

Not sure if this works as a "public" link, but here's a gallery of a few pics from Saturday morning: MFF Show & Shine 2014 @ Wagner's Drive In

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was great to meet you in person Woody! Also glad to hear the car made the trip home. Hope to see you and your wife around again soon.

Jon (the one that uses curbs to park)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock