dash lights not working by 1984whitesc
Started on: 07-17-2014 08:27 AM
Replies: 13 (1998 views)
Last post by: tshark on 07-24-2014 07:56 AM
1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been trying to figure out why my dash lights are not working. I just can't seem to nail it down. I put the back lit guages in from a GT. I checked all the fuses, they were fine. All the bulbs are correct. I even replaced the transistor under the dash. It stopped working when I replaced the radio with one from a grand prix with a 7 band monsoon CD player. Even that doesn't light up. I checked the ground wire from the dash and it was fine. I checked to see if there was power coming from the dimmer switch and that was fine. The board (if that's what its called) on the back of the dash works. I also switched out the dimmer and headlight switch. Nothing seems to be working. Every once in a while the radio will cut out and the courtesy lights will shine dimly. I have to turn the radio off and turn on the interior lights to make the radio work again. I just don't know what else to check.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 07-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure sounds like grounds. I havent had that stuff apart to be able to help ya much.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it started when you put in the grand am radio, try unplugging the radio to see if there is a change. Did you use a wiring harness for the radio, or change the wiring in the car?
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried unplugging it and that had no affect. I got the whole adapter from Paul Vargus. The adapter looked as it should.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get bored, swing it over to Jordan MN this weekend and I'll probe wires with you... Just call me in advance, having a wisdom tooth yanked tomorrow.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a different radio in one of my corvettes a few years back. My side markers and tail lights stopped working. It was all due to where I grounded the radio. Instead of spicing into a ground in the harness, I just ran a new wire and screwed it to a chassis ground and they worked again. The radio worked fine with both ways I had it grounded.

Also check that your tail lights are working. At least it used to be when the dash lights didnt work, it warned you the tail lights werent either. You may be driving around with no tail lights. It could be all just because of a bad ground in the tail lights. Always check the fuses too....could be that simple.
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having this same problem. A couple smacks to the gauge pod and they come back on Most of the time. Wasn't fun getting pulled over for that on my first long trip in it. My tail lights go out too.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

If you get bored, swing it over to Jordan MN this weekend and I'll probe wires with you... Just call me in advance, having a wisdom tooth yanked tomorrow.

That would be great if something could be figured out. I'll have all day Saturday.
The tail lights I am happy to say work properly. I have also wiggled all the connectors on the back of the dash and radio, or anything to do with the dash lights. They are still not working.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't able to make it out to Chirs' place. I haven't been able to look at the problem. Getting her ready for the Frazee show.

I replaced he bulb in the cigarette lighter and that works. I searched for the circuits the dash lights include and that's a parallel circuit. That works just fine. I did what was told to me on the ogers cave. I jumped the green and brown wire that connects to the transistor, and nadda. That should have lit up the dash lights. I was thinking it could be a ground, but wouldn't all the gauges, and other lights, not work either?

[This message has been edited by 1984whitesc (edited 07-22-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul Vargyas's adapter should be good.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance. Sounds as if you have a short. Any pinched wires?
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very first thing to look for with electrical problems on plastic cars is bad grounds like already mentioned.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my old GT had the same issue, I ended up just wiring up a set of indglow gauges and called it a day
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I managed to find out what the issue was. The fusing junction intercepting plug attached to the grey wire wasn't gripping the fuse... All this trouble for that......
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you figured it out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock