White is white is white? by fierocarparts
Started on: 07-15-2014 11:32 PM
Replies: 10 (446 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 07-17-2014 06:20 PM
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried different sources to verify, but it shows all Fieros that were painted white are the same code. The Indys always seemed more of a cream. Is it definitely the same white?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think all white Fieros are WA# 8774 white. As a painter for 50 years, to me theres real pure/brite white and offwhite/eggshell,cream. Cadillac one year had 11 different whites.....why ?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I think all white Fieros are WA# 8774 white. As a painter for 50 years, to me theres real pure/brite white and offwhite/eggshell,cream. Cadillac one year had 11 different whites.....why ?

Why not? Cheaper than creating new options to install
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a hood from an Indy on an 87 and it is way off. Just eye-balling, I always thought the 87-88 white looked brighter. In this particular case, I'm sure it is UV exposure. I did notice that the 84 hood is made differently than the 87-88. There is a difference in the webbing design.
Car will need repainting, just it would be nice to not be so noticible until it is painted.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whites tend to discolor just from road use. Thats from the street, sun, and weather. I had white limos. They had to be polished at least once a month so they stayed a nice bright white...they always yellowed. You could polish a spot on the door or hood and it was like another color. It had to be polished off, no amount of washing ever got it off. Those cars sometimes got washed 2 or 3 times a day, usually by hand. Take some polish or rubbing compound on the part that looks more cream and see what it does. It may match the 'whiter' parts fine.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...maybe different batches from different years? As I understood it the 84s were already painted and assembled then just the bits taken out or off to make a white Fiero an Indy. That would lead to new side, front and rear panels but the hood, roof, and trunk should be the same shouldn't they? I don't think they repainted the rest of the panels.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Whites tend to discolor just from road use. Thats from the street, sun, and weather. I had white limos. They had to be polished at least once a month so they stayed a nice bright white...they always yellowed. You could polish a spot on the door or hood and it was like another color. It had to be polished off, no amount of washing ever got it off. Those cars sometimes got washed 2 or 3 times a day, usually by hand. Take some polish or rubbing compound on the part that looks more cream and see what it does. It may match the 'whiter' parts fine.

What Roger said... It may get you blended enough until you repaint.

The brightest White I had cars repainted with was a GM Classic White.
There's some Black mixed into it - not enough to make it Grey though.
The great thing it did was the sunlight would accent angle changes and make all the edges and crease lines "pop" and appear very sharp.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I slightly took some polishing compound to the hood, helped a little. If I got a machine after it, I think it will be okay until repaint.
The 87 hasn't seen direct sunlight for decades and the Indy hood was a wrecking yard pull. Maybe the reason the Indys always seemed a little bit creaming is they didn't get polished because of the lettering.
I hope to download to photobucket to show the difference. It is about the same level as Ford fleet white and GM fleet white.
Thanks for verifying that the Indy has the same color code.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it's from fading over the years. My sister's first car was a 1989 Grand Am she bought in 96. By the time she got it, it was more of a cream color. The folks she got it from were the original owners and were showing us pictures of it the day they bought it. Even with a camera and film from '89 you could tell the car was much more "white" and I'm pretty sure somebody even mentioned it.

With all that being said, I'm sure that a car that is garage kept its whole life and never taken out in the winter is going to end up with a different shade of white than a car that sat out its entire life.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 07-17-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GMs bright white (8774) has had many different names over the years. Classic White, Pure White, Fleet White, Castillian White and the original name was Coca Cola White from the early 50s when they did the soda drinks trucks from the factory in their fleet colors.

Actually to make it whiter, you add blue, although there is black in the formula too. I do a lot of custom matching so I know what colors to add to get a change I want.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock