Started on: 06-30-2014 10:51 AM
Replies: 34 (793 views)
Last post by: dobey on 07-09-2014 11:11 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipping rates are crazy. It MUST kill sales....

I need a Delco PCV valve PN CV893C (GM# 25095468) from a Grand National for my supercharged GT (apparently NONE in Canada)
It's a $7 item that ships anywhere in the States for $3 - but $19.78 to Canada!
And if I order TWO - it goes to $28.42 (but you can be sure it's in the SAME over-sized $19 box).

Thanks to USPS "flat rate box" - businesses don't bother with the bubble wrap envelope with $3 in stamps anymore.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's more of a Canadian issue.

Shipping within the US is reasonable (even cheap / free). Trying to get anything to Canada from a business in the states is a pain. I pass on purchasing a lot of things because of the shipping costs. Or a US seller will only ship with UPS/FedEx and the customs/brokerage fees are insane.

If the item I want is small enough that I can bring it back on a plane, I'll send it to my US address and bring it back from Florida the next time I visit.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep! My wife ordered a tube of hand cream and it came in a box about 12 x 12 inches by about 9 inches deep. Wrapped in a little baggie and some paper, just bouncing around inside. Half of the cost had to be the weight and size of the box.

I ordered a circuit board from Sears, for our refrigerator. The board would fit in my hand, but it came in a huge box with $45 shipping charges, with 7-10 days ground delivery.
I FAR I

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may seem like that with many companies, but there are much better alternatives. I'm talking savings of up to 65% compared to other well know shipping companies

For ALL your shipping needs -- Worldwide or otherwise -- BIG or Small -- JUST-SHIP-IT....Check out JustShipitlogistics.com

Ask for Deborah and tell her Paul sent you.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same thing with Fiero Store calendars for our club members.

They use to ship in a big First Class Air Mail envelope for a couple $.
Last time I ordered a few, it came in a Flat Rate box for $30 shipping.
I haven't ordered any Fiero Store calendars since.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I had a peculiar international shipping conflict. I got a guitar pedal and 2 shirts from Australia and the shipping was almost $60 on a package roughly the 8" by 8" square and under 2 pounds.

The same week I had ordered a bigger, heavier package from China and the shipping was $7. China package got here way faster, too. I know I know, but the items weren't available from anywhere else.

I am not sure why there are such huge discrepencies, and I often wonder how they assign shipping rates in any accurate way. Dartboard?

I do know this- the usps package delivery is a broken system that I am having trouble understanding why it continues to exist at all. They lose money doing it. I would be happier if the us mail was letter and envelope delivery only and package delivery was left to the (slightly) more adept UPS and FEDEX.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It must just be Canada.

I've bought fairly large parts for my del Sol, from Japan, Malaysia, and Europe, and the shipping was very cheap, coming to the US. A-pillar trim, the center roof trim, and sun shades from Germany to the US were only about $30 to ship. Seats from Japan were free shipping (but I suspect because the seller was a marine stationed in Okinawa and used the free postage for military benefit, so it was just put on the US tax bill), and a spoiler from Malysia was I think only $20 to ship, and it arrived in a few days even. The stuff from Germany took about a month or so to get here, the others were pretty fast.

I guess that's just one of the benefits of living in a nation known for its overwhelming consumerism.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-30-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by tbone42:
Last year I had a peculiar international shipping conflict. I got a guitar pedal and 2 shirts from Australia and the shipping was almost $60 on a package roughly the 8" by 8" square and under 2 pounds.

The same week I had ordered a bigger, heavier package from China and the shipping was $7. China package got here way faster, too. I know I know, but the items weren't available from anywhere else.

I am not sure why there are such huge discrepencies, and I often wonder how they assign shipping rates in any accurate way. Dartboard?

I do know this- the usps package delivery is a broken system that I am having trouble understanding why it continues to exist at all. They lose money doing it. I would be happier if the us mail was letter and envelope delivery only and package delivery was left to the (slightly) more adept UPS and FEDEX.

Shipping from China is always cheap. Government takes care of most of the burden over there, especially for exports. More people are likely to buy products as a result of lower cost and lower shipping, so they expect more money to come in from it.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of my products I send to Canada I send USPS because it`s cheaper than UPS.
Not as good as UPS on the tracking aspect but the savings make up for it.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 06-30-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

It must just be Canada.

That what... gets screwed by many (most?) American vendors with excessive shipping charges? Yeah, you're probably right.

Certain items that I used to buy through eBay from the States I'm now buying from Hong Kong or mainland China. They're the same goods, less expensive, and shipping is basically free.

I guess the economy in the States is SO good that it doesn't matter if potential customers with money to spend go elsewhere.

EDIT: Fortunately there are still individual American vendors such as TXGOOD who at least try to put some effort into saving their Canadian customers money on shipping.

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

All of my products I send to Canada I send USPS because it`s cheaper than UPS.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-30-2014).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Patrick.
There are other processes I use which save the customer on charges that occur on the Canadian side after the package has crossed the border.
Hey, as vendors I feel we have to try and help the people who are handing over their money.

I run into a few high shipping rates here as well.
I order a 10.00 latch and they want to charge 13 to 15 dollars to ship it UPS ground instead of putting it into a flat rate box for 5.00

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 06-30-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you really want the privilege of whining about shipping costs, try living in Argentina for a while, and buying anything from outside the country.

They have really insane import taxes and such, to try to get people to buy locally made goods instead. Of course, most of the things people want to buy, aren't made locally.
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YES, my hard earned money is not spent on rip-off shipping costs; I do go elsewhere/lost sales for sure, especially if vendors are not
considerate/flexible.

take note businesses before you whine about lower sales!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
That what... gets screwed by many (most?) American vendors with excessive shipping charges? Yeah, you're probably right.

Don't feel all rained on or pregnant or anything.

I ordered a set of wheels and tires from Tire Trends in B.C. Saved quite a chunk on the exchange rate.
Unfortunately, the DHL brokerage fees ate up every bit of savings that I would have realized.

Same thing happened when I ordered a spoiler from the Fiero Shop in Toronto.

Won't be doing that again, any time soon.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Don't feel all rained on or pregnant or anything.

I ordered a set of wheels and tires from Tire Trends in B.C. Saved quite a chunk on the exchange rate.
Unfortunately, the DHL brokerage fees ate up every bit of savings that I would have realized.

Same thing happened when I ordered a spoiler from the Fiero Shop in Toronto.

Glad to hear it works both ways.

Vendors (on both sides of the 49th Parallel) are only shooting themselves in the foot if they refuse to work with their cross-border customers in regards to shipping methods and costs.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glad to hear it works both ways.

Vendors (on both sides of the 49th Parallel) are only shooting themselves in the foot if they refuse to work with their cross-border customers in regards to shipping methods and costs.

Unfortunately, vendors aren't usually the problem. The shipping companies, politics, and logistics are what make the shipping costs excessive. NAFTA doesn't really benefit individuals or small businesses. Fees add up. Sometimes those fees are built into the price that DHL/UPS/FedEx quote the vendor, and sometimes they get tacked on later. Import tax, customs fees, etc… can really kill shipping costs when going across the border. :-/

Then customs ends up holding the shipment for two weeks for no good reason. Insurance costs can add up too. If you're shipping used parts, you probably want to insure for the cost it would be to replace it with a new item (since you may very well end up having to buy a new one if it gets lost/stolen).
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason the Chinese can ship stuff so cheaply has to do with the volume and frequency of merchandise being shipped. They just have so many boats and planes going everywhere. Plus, the cheap labor allows them to eat some of the shipping costs themselves. They will be eating even more of the shipping costs over the next couple of years as they have to start competing against the 3D printer boom in the States. They may have cheap labor, but its not as cheap as a 3D printer especially after shipping is factored in. Corporate America is tired of the poor quality of products and has invested heavily in 3D printing technology in the US factories. Bottom line: 3D printers produce stuff cheaper than China can and the quality control is much better. China's economy is fixing to experience what Japan's experienced in the 90's. Unfortunately, 3D printers are not going to help with our shipping rate problems
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how does the customs/brokerage fee work? Is it just UPS and FedEx? I've been shipping dew wipes through USPS to Canada because it's usually the least expensive. Are there broker/customs fees for USPS too? Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had several Fiero Store shipments via USPS & Canada Post that didn't require any further payment than what was billed by the Fiero Store at the time of sale. I tracked the shipments online right to my door.

I chose UPS once & got ripped off at my door for fees to collect fees. I'll be avoiding paying the United Pirates Services ransom demands if there's any other alternative.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time I purchase something in the US, I research carefully what shipping method is used. USPS is the cheapest. Avoid UPS like the plague!!! I have a US shipping address about an hour from me, so if I can't get something delivered to the house at a reasonable cost, then I just have it shipped there. I find Summit Racing and RockAuto are generally reasonable with their shipping (most of the time).
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney is most considerate in shipping by USPS to Canada - AND he doesn't depend on the Flat Rate Box.
Sometimes FRB can be cheaper on bigger items, but usually not on small pieces. He checks it out.

My original post was on a PCV valve. You can bet that $19 for shipping is a Flat Rate Box "Global Priority International" - which means nothing.
There is nothing "priority" about it. It takes the exact same 7-10 days to get here as 1st Class Mail - just costs a hell of a lot more.
There are USPS alternatives, but vendors don't know about them, and I think the FRB is used because it's EASIEST for THEM.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

My original post was on a PCV valve.

This takes it. $5.11 for the valve - $35 for shipping to Canada
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/...002517/25095468.html
Nalley GM is in Brunswick GA. Anyone there?

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-02-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This takes it. $5.11 for the valve - $35 for shipping to Canada
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/...002517/25095468.html
Nalley GM is in Brunswick GA. Anyone there?

Can you not buy a PCV at the local parts store or a local dealer for around $10 CAD or less? Or on Amazon even?
rd1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rd1Send a Private Message to rd1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
same problem to Europe, nothing under 50$ for a small valve, and way up for bigger items (and we need to pay about 35-40% tax on the whole amount + taxation costs)
I ordered rear trailing arm bushings that cost 60$, when they got to my garage paid about 180$ total
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rd1:

same problem to Europe, nothing under 50$ for a small valve, and way up for bigger items (and we need to pay about 35-40% tax on the whole amount + taxation costs)
I ordered rear trailing arm bushings that cost 60$, when they got to my garage paid about 180$ total

Yeah those are a pain but you have to account for the many many more miles that part travels than to Canada.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you not buy a PCV at the local parts store or a local dealer for around $10 CAD or less? Or on Amazon even?

Thanks for that suggestion - believe me I've checked.
PCV for 87 Buick Grand National turbo-charged 3.8 - DISONTINUED by GM and AC Delco.
Not even the aftermarket ones are stocked in Canada. What you can find are NOS.

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/ACDel...=8-1&keywords=cv893c

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ACDelco CV893C PCV Valve

$34 for a freakin' PCV valve??!!!

What makes it so damn special?

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$34 for a freakin' PCV valve??!!!

What makes it so damn special?

DISCONTINUED. (... and he doesn't ship outside the US anyway).
Those that want a "reasonable" price then want +$20 to ship.
So it seems it will cost $35 for a freakin' PCV valve as you say, no matter what.

I need it for SC 3.4 because it keeps boost from blowing into your engine through it.
I could put a check valve in the PCV line, but I have steel lines so I'd have to remove plenum to cut part of it out, then use bits of hose and clamps... etc. etc.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...it keeps boost from blowing into your engine through it. I could put a check valve in the PCV line, but...

So when an engine is under boost, is there no positive crankcase ventilation going on?

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound, you have a PM
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So when an engine is under boost, is there no positive crankcase ventilation going on?

Nope.

Under boost, the PCV should be closed (or a check valve installed inline) and any blowby gases/crankcase pressure generated will reverse flow and go OUT the inlet pipe connected upstream on the turbo/SC. There should be a slight vacuum there to draw them out.

If the PCV is not sealing tight, you've got boost passing into the crankcase that will blow oil past seals and gaskets.
In my case I have pressure/oil coming past the valve cover grommets (obviously the wrong or bad PCV).

Some people delete the PCV and run vents on both valve covers - but that creates other problems.

.... back to ridiculous prices and shipping costs...

I didn't mind paying $75 to ship my Indy's new A/C condenser across the border (it's a BIG box).
BUT I sure can't see $35 for a PCV valve!!

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-09-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PCV valve update. It seems AC Delco has discontinued all PCV valves in turbo applications.
eg: Grand National, Turbo Sunbird and even Typhoon/Syclone.

All the aftermarket junk for those applications - you can blow through the PCV both ways (more in the "working" direction).
I think the manufacturers are just using a "close enough" PCV valve to fill the gap.

I went and got a Toyota Supra 3.0L twin-turbo PCV valve from a Toyota dealer PN 12204-46020 for $17.
It's a strong steel/brass piece. Opens in one direction, and a dead stop in the other.

You need a PCV valve grommet with a smaller hole. HELP! PN 42332 does the job. The valve fits the PCV elbow just fine.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PCV valve update. It seems AC Delco has discontinued all PCV valves in turbo applications.
eg: Grand National, Turbo Sunbird and even Typhoon/Syclone.

I don't think it has to do with turbo applications. I think it has to do with "30 year old cars" applications. Most parts for those cars are no longer being produced by GM, just as parts for the Fiero aren't either.

I'm sure they still make PCV valves for the modern turbo applications, though they might not be the design you want.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure they still make PCV valves for the modern turbo applications, though they might not be the design you want.

I can't think of a turbo GM off-hand and does it use the same style valve?

Edit: probably the PCV valve from 2014 Cadillac XTS with 3.6L twin-turbo would work.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-09-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't think of a turbo GM off-hand and does it use the same style valve?

Edit: probably the PCV valve from 2014 Cadillac XTS with 3.6L twin-turbo would work.

I don't know what PCV valve styles they use exactly, but: here are a few recent gasoline powered turbo applications from GM:

1.4L Turbo Ecotec in Chevy Cruze and Sonic
2.2L Turbo Ecotec in Chevy Cobalt/HHR, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, Buick Regal Turbo
3.6L Turbo V6 in Cadillac ATS/XTS

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock