550 hp 5.3 for $3K interested? by GADJet
Started on: 06-29-2014 12:57 AM
Replies: 52 (2497 views)
Last post by: GADJet on 06-11-2018 04:34 PM
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy this has really become a topic of discussion. As I figured it has flip flopped with the LSx vs 3800.

I just simply wondered if anyone has approached this with the iron block 5.3 vortech with the turbo. Though I must say I really enjoyed all of the ideas thrown around here. GM should be shot for the 2.8 in this car but sad reality is that's what the biggest majority of us have. I can't imagine 550HP in a Fiero. I've only driven a 2.5 and a 2.8 both in their stock form. It's still a fun car to drive but man the 300+HP area in these little beauties would so fit this car well. Anyways thanks for all of your input. Please keep adding. I enjoy he late night reads.

EDIT FOR PAGE 2 OWNAGE!

[This message has been edited by GADJet (edited 07-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
Pocket

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PocketSend a Private Message to PocketEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A turbo 5.3 is nothing new, we've been beating the tar out of them for years. Read some of denemah's posts on LS1tech to see what they can really do on a shoestring budget

There was a magazine article a few years back trying to find the limit on a stock 5.3 on the dyno. Twin turbos and 1200hp later, they gave up trying to kill it, then found out it was a 4.8

Trying to use much of that power in a Fiero... I dont see it
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pocket:

A turbo 5.3 is nothing new, we've been beating the tar out of them for years. Read some of denemah's posts on LS1tech to see what they can really do on a shoestring budget

There was a magazine article a few years back trying to find the limit on a stock 5.3 on the dyno. Twin turbos and 1200hp later, they gave up trying to kill it, then found out it was a 4.8

Trying to use much of that power in a Fiero... I dont see it

The 1200 HP 4.8 and the 550 HP 5.3 in the OP are both done for Hot Rod magazine. This one is basically the same, but with a single turbo and stock top end. The 1200 HP build had ported/polished/CNCed stock heads, FAST intake, and twin turbos.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by GADJet:
Boy this has really become a topic of discussion. As I figured it has flip flopped with the LSx vs 3800.

I just simply wondered if anyone has approached this with the iron block 5.3 vortech with the turbo. Though I must say I really enjoyed all of the ideas thrown around here. GM should be shot for the 2.8 in this car but sad reality is that's what the biggest majority of us have. I can't imagine 550HP in a Fiero. I've only driven a 2.5 and a 2.8 both in their stock form. It's still a fun car to drive but man the 300+HP area in these little beauties would so fit this car well. Anyways thanks for all of your input. Please keep adding. I enjoy he late night reads.

Most people swapping in an LSx engine have gone for the LS376/480 crate motor, that makes 480 HP. It's a stock LS3 with a hot cam and tune. Gets pretty close to the 550 HP already, and without a turbo.

And dratts has the LS4 (which is an aluminum 5.3 instead of the iron truck motor), with the Cartuning LS4 turbo kit installed. That brings the LS4 up to around 600 HP.

The Dino replica Archie was building recently got a 4.8, and that was supposed to be getting a turbo, but I don't know where that's at now. It was sold, and I don't know if there's a new thread for it or what.

I don't know if anyone else is running a turbo on an LSx based engine in a Fiero though. There's nothing particularly special about the Gen III 5.3 Vortec (LM7) that makes it suited for a turbo. They're just very cheap to get if you find one in a junk yard.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 07-05-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I was going to turbo a 5.3L, I certainly wouldn't be happy with 550 fwhp. There are quite a few, mostly stock 5.3's in the 700+ hp range
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If I was going to turbo a 5.3L, I certainly wouldn't be happy with 550 fwhp. There are quite a few, mostly stock 5.3's in the 700+ hp range

That's impressive. I know its doable, I just wonder how much $$ it would cost to get those HP numbers in a fiero and have a suitable trans hold up to it? I know that there are many many many variables that change every swap.

Honestly I think it has more cool factor that function. BTW, anyone have a link to that 1200HP 4.8? That's very interesting.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's impressive. I know its doable, I just wonder how much $$ it would cost to get those HP numbers in a fiero and have a suitable trans hold up to it? I know that there are many many many variables that change every swap.

Honestly I think it has more cool factor that function. BTW, anyone have a link to that 1200HP 4.8? That's very interesting.

Denmah over on LS1 Tech is one of the better cheap turbo guys. He has shared lots of info. The vendor who he buys most of his parts from even has a kit with his name on it for under 1K.
Here is one of his stock 5.3 bottom end builds (this is also his info website with lots of info):
https://sites.google.com/si...-builds/fairmont-2-0

Here is a thread on his commonly use parts and where he gets them:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/f...pdate-2-13-13-a.html

Here is the vendor kit with his name:
http://www.vsracing.net/cat...c9ab532dc9c26a7cbb6a

The first post in this thread is way outdated (09), but start looking at pages 11 - 15 for more current builds. This thread has all LS engines includes, but many are 5.3 and 4.8's because they are dirt cheap to come by. Most are with stock bottom ends, some are stock, some have other minor mods, but it will give you a good idea of what these engines are capable of.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/f...eliability-list.html

Here is the article on the 1200 hp 4.8L engine with a stock bottom end:
http://www.hotrod.com/techa...ine_big_bang_theory/

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-06-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$$$ is the only reason I ever even mentioned the 3800 in this thread. If you want 500+ BHP in a Fiero, a 3800 build is almost certainly the cheapest way to get there

If you really must have a V8 to make 500+ BHP with, the cheapest way to get there reliably, is probably the LS4. You might be able to build a 4.9 with that power, but I don't know if the stock bottom end of that engine will hold it well.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
You might be able to build a 4.9 with that power, but I don't know if the stock bottom end of that engine will hold it well.

Considering that the strongest turbo 4.9 yet built was ~350 HP, 550 is a bit of a stretch.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Considering that the strongest turbo 4.9 yet built was ~350 HP, 550 is a bit of a stretch.

I did say "might" and "I don't know how well it'd hold together if you do," for a reason.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even getting 550 HP worth of air into the engine is a stretch, considering how bad the heads are. It would probably take 25 psi and make 750 ftlbs before it could hit 550 HP.
PFF
System Bot
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know who this fella is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEi6BsV8Bpw
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay