Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  You never hear anyone ask if a Lambo catches fire though...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
You never hear anyone ask if a Lambo catches fire though... by jediperk
Started on: 06-16-2014 09:18 PM
Replies: 25 (569 views)
Last post by: yellowstone on 06-23-2014 03:36 PM
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://blog.caranddriver.co...e-ground-in-england/

Y'up, another one bites the dust. It seams to me that Ferrari and Lamborghini lose a car or two every year, but I don't ever hear from the "ignorant as hell" types, "Isn't that the car that had all the engine fires?"

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 06-16-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, when one buys a car for that many zeros, a little censorship in the stupid comment section of the peanut crowd is included.
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Well, when one buys a car for that many zeros, a little censorship in the stupid comment section of the peanut crowd is included.

Yeah, I here what you are saying and I guess when you put it that way... I just want one year (with me in the country driving my Fiero) with no stupid engine fire comments. This gave me an idea though. I think I'm going to search through the web and print out every article I can find on exotic European sports cars catching fire, put them in a binder and put the binder in my car. Then when the seemingly inevitable happens pull out said binder and hand it to the offending party and say, "y'up, just like those European cars"...
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience.

I just as soon don't bother taking my time to educate everyone. If they want to think they all burned, great. I'm not trying to sell it to them, & I'm not asking for their approval.
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience.

I just as soon don't bother taking my time to educate everyone. If they want to think they all burned, great. I'm not trying to sell it to them, & I'm not asking for their approval.

Yeah, I know you are right. The wise course of action is always to ignore them. But, sometimes I just want to...
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last time I had some idiot telling me about all the fieros that burnt up I told him, yea I know,this car I have I had to rebuild 4 times due to fires.The moron believed me! He's probably still running around telling this fictional story.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 06-17-2014).]

fierofinatic84se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
porshe recently issued a recall on all 900 or so 911gt3-2.1 mark5 whatever it is they are on for possible engine fires, they replaced every single engine, because 1 of 900 or so may have had an issue, guess those zeroes are good for something
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Getting beat-down by idiot experience is real. Sometimes all you can do is look at them in amazement. Educating them IS an exercise in futility. Just agree with them and tell them that yours is the only one that is left. Then walk away.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 06-17-2014).]

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofinatic84se:

porshe recently issued a recall on all 900 or so 911gt3-2.1 mark5 whatever it is they are on for possible engine fires, they replaced every single engine, because 1 of 900 or so may have had an issue, guess those zeroes are good for something

Normally, I would concede you make a good point on this one. However, GM is currently recalling, what's the count up to now? 3 million plus vehicles? And those vehicles don't have all of those zero's in the price tag. I think this is a German company ran by Germans doing what they do no matter how many zero's are involved in cost. I lived in Germany for seven years and I figured out why they make good cars and it is NOT superior engineering. It's the nit-noid attention to detail stuff in the assembly process. I have been all over this planet and have never seen an entire culture of people so fixated on attention to detail and uniformity. They take it to OCD levels and once they settle on a "standard" for doing something, that is how it's done: PERIOD. (And that is not a liberal politician period either
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so seriously are fieros a fire hazard as compared to say the same year model firebird ?? Don't get me wrong even if they are in going to keep my new found fiero. But do they have common fire issues. I know a guy who had 2 and both caught fire. So don't get upset or anything. I'd just like an honest answer from all you dedicated fiero lovers with more knowledge than my apprentiance ship of these fantastic cars
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vesquar:

Ok so seriously are fieros a fire hazard as compared to say the same year model firebird ?? Don't get me wrong even if they are in going to keep my new found fiero. But do they have common fire issues. I know a guy who had 2 and both caught fire. So don't get upset or anything. I'd just like an honest answer from all you dedicated fiero lovers with more knowledge than my apprentiance ship of these fantastic cars

Only the 84 year fieros had the fire issues and most of them were recalled and fixed.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All mid engine cars Fiero included generate a lot of heat into the engine compartment because of the exhaust components and catalytic converter being clustered underneath the engine. Make sure there are no oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold from the valve covers or anything else, use the most expensive fel-pro valve cover gasket on the duke. Make sure all of the ignition wire separators are in place, they were missing on my duke when I got it and a wire touched the exhaust and caught on fire. Something for just our cars is the blower housing having a mouse nest or leaves inside it which can catch fire, make sure that is clean inside.
Vesquar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VesquarSend a Private Message to VesquarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks will look into a full shake down
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

Only the 84 year fieros had the fire issues and most of them were recalled and fixed.

.......is my understanding as well. like I never heard that the V6 caught fire??
that's all I have to say when confronted with the topic of fire....."it was only the 4 cly and the 1984 Fiero, only"
they usually go....."oh" and that's that!
til I mention I have a 350 SBC and a 3800 SC in my Fiero's.
well then the talk is all about the pavement fires and burnouts!! yeeeehaw!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the affected Fieros should long since have had the recall maintenance performed on them. That having been said, proper maintenance is VERY important on mid-engined cars. Proper cooling, no fluid leaks, etc. Also, don't park where dry leaves can collect above your decklid vents. Keep your oil full. Watch for leaks, as mentioned. Keep an eye on your gauges while driving, after verifying that your gauges are accurate.

Some 2.5 '85s were also affected. I once drove 298 miles in a 2.8 V6 that leaked about a quart every 50 miles. What a mess! The o-ring, some gaskets, the oil pressure sending unit, who knows what else leaked. It sure smoked, but no fire. Not my brightest moment.

Oh. I also carry a fire extinguisher in my car. Not just the Fiero. Old habit from a job that required my to carry one, as well as other emergency items.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When people spout off to me about them all catching fires, I tell them it was only the green ones that caught fire. It is priceless to see them pause and actually try to rationalize that statement with their little brains. If it goes any further, I continue to explain that that is why you never see any of the factory green ones on the road any longer, and ask when was the last time they saw a green Fiero on the road

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 06-17-2014).]

davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

When people spout off to me about them all catching fires, I tell them it was only the green ones that caught fire. It is priceless to see them pause and actually try to rationalize that statement with their little brains. If it goes any further, I continue to explain that that is why you never see any of the factory green ones on the road any longer, and ask when was the last time they saw a green Fiero on the road

LMAO! I hope you don't mind if I use that one. Maybe I should paint one green and pass it off as very rare model

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 06-17-2014).]

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The urban legend of the "green fiero" starts here! From now on when someone asks about engine fires, it was only the green ones!
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend painted his '85 2.5 green.

Situation just got dangerous for him!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My friend painted his '85 2.5 green.

Situation just got dangerous for him!

that is why you never see any of the factory green ones on the road any longer

I just look very serious and matter of factly when I say it was only the green ones. It is just so entertaining to me to watch their face go kinda blank, and they really do just try to figure some sort of reason or meaning to this. Better yet when they nod as if they already knew that, or that they believe what you are saying LOL
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well now maybe I just decided on the color to pant mine! Tell then is was only the green ones and walk away.
PFF
System Bot
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You really like messing with strangers about the fire issue, don't you?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ang84Indy:

You really like messing with strangers about the fire issue, don't you?

They started it!

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone knows they catch on fire. They always have.
Most haters just spit on them since they can't afford one, even after it's burned up.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

Normally, I would concede you make a good point on this one. However, GM is currently recalling, what's the count up to now? 3 million plus vehicles? And those vehicles don't have all of those zero's in the price tag. I think this is a German company ran by Germans doing what they do no matter how many zero's are involved in cost. I lived in Germany for seven years and I figured out why they make good cars and it is NOT superior engineering. It's the nit-noid attention to detail stuff in the assembly process. I have been all over this planet and have never seen an entire culture of people so fixated on attention to detail and uniformity. They take it to OCD levels and once they settle on a "standard" for doing something, that is how it's done: PERIOD. (And that is not a liberal politician period either

I saw this first hand in Germany. .. they won't even cross the street unless the walk sign is lit.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I saw this first hand in Germany. .. they won't even cross the street unless the walk sign is lit.

Why have rules if nobody follows them?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock