Cheaper insurance by wayneman
Started on: 06-16-2014 06:02 AM
Replies: 31 (547 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-25-2014 03:03 PM
wayneman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the favorite classic car insurance among fiero club members?

Got a quote for 480 yr.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Grady (?) but I'm restricted to about 2500 miles per year. Guess the real answer is whether or not your ride is a daily driver or not. for an agreed value of $7,500, 300,000 - 100,000- 100,000 policy I pay under $100 per year.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The classic insurance companies have gotten very restrictive on how you can use the car. I was going to switch to a classic policy but didn't like not being able to use the car for pleasure use whenever I wanted to without worrying about a claim being denied. I don't own my cars to leave parked in the garage all the time, I own them to use them when I want to.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive had plenty of classic cars. I dont use any of the classic insurers due to all the fine print and restrictions. All mine were insured with State Farm...who have classic insurance themselves. Most were valued at around $30K and insurance was $100-$200 a year full coverage Agreed Value.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out JC Taylor. Look at the online application pdf and calculate your cost. Very reasonable rates and minimal restrictions. Underwritten by Foremost Ins..

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 06-17-2014).]

wirthy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wirthySend a Private Message to wirthyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have mine with Grundy. I think I have my replacement value between $5,000 - $7,000 and it only costs me about $130-some/year. They do not have any mileage restrictions, as long as it is only used for pleasure. They do, however, say that the car is to not be used as a daily driver, secondary vehicle, or used to commute to work.

[This message has been edited by wirthy (edited 06-17-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wirthy:

I have mine with Grundy. I think I have my replacement value between $5,000 - $7,000 and it only costs me about $130-some/year. They do not have any mileage restrictions, as long as it is only used for pleasure. They do, however, say that the car is to not be used as a daily driver, secondary vehicle, or used to commute to work.

I also have Gundy. For three Fieros $480/year. The "restrictions" are cars to be stored in a garaged and you are to use them for pleasure. I took my 87 GT to the Dells from Florida, 3000+ miles in 8 1/2 days. I have a daily driver for routine use.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive had plenty of classic cars. I dont use any of the classic insurers due to all the fine print and restrictions. All mine were insured with State Farm...who have classic insurance themselves. Most were valued at around $30K and insurance was $100-$200 a year full coverage Agreed Value.

Roger...Great information!...expect no less from you though...going to go speak with StateFarm tomorrow...since BluDrm would need to be around the same value.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest using CHROME which was on the Power Tour back in 2012. It has been really great, although I haven't made any claims ever. Their website is http://www.anpac.com/classic-car-insurance/

I had my car appraised for $150 and have a complete folder and booklet for my car that I emailed to CHROME. It was insured as a 1.8 and total appraised value was $30,000. I pay $25 a month and that value is agreed value. Anything that happens to the car, I get that total value back. My deductible is $1,000 but I don't plan on making any claims ever.

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grundy here too.
There can be differences in all companies state to state and city to city.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive heard from some here that their State Farm Agencies dont have same coverages, so it does all vary by location.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I looked at JC Taylors website it said collector cars were only covered for club activities and parades, that's way too restrictive for me. I like to drive my Fiero's at least once a week on a pleasure drive thru the Ocala Forest and sometimes drive them into town to the store.
wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thanks for all the great input. I'm going to put my wife on it…..she is a relentless shopper "tenacious" to say the least. I'll keep you all posted on my findings.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

When I looked at JC Taylors website it said collector cars were only covered for club activities and parades, that's way too restrictive for me. I like to drive my Fiero's at least once a week on a pleasure drive thru the Ocala Forest and sometimes drive them into town to the store.

Read the site carefully and in total. I think you will find they allow you to drive all you want just not for work, school or everyday daily driver. You might also call the office to get the details from them personally.

Another nice thing is you know exactly how much it will cost for the coverage you want as you fill in the application form, no secret pricing scheme. Agreed value like all the others.

I had Grundy and saved a bunch with JC Taylor with greater coverage. No claims experience with them yet over the 4 years. Also they don't automatically jack up your coverage yearly based on some inflation factor, that's up to you to do. All good.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 06-18-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Fremont Insurance with full coverage on vehicle. It is insured at the appraisal value. The appraisal came out to $6500. Ike has an appraisal company based out of Jenison Michigan. His expertise is Corvettes. He did a fair appraisal on the 88 and when it was hit, Fremont stepped to the window and delivered as promised. After experiencing the total situation with the 88 I highly recommend Fremont. You get what it really is worth not what Craigs list or ebay has for listings. At first I thought Ike was high with the appraised value of the 88. But when it came time to replace it, he was spot on the value.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

I had Grundy and saved a bunch with JC Taylor with greater coverage. No claims experience with them yet over the 4 years. Also they don't automatically jack up your coverage yearly based on some inflation factor, that's up to you to do. All good.

I told Grundy to turn that "inflation guard" off and they did.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I looked into Haggarty and Grundy years ago about my cars. I asked very specific questions like could I drive it to take a date out for dinner (pleasure driving). They said absolutely NOT. ONLY to car events, club meetings, and parades. Not even allowed to drive it to a garage for service...had to be trailered. Absolutely no Sunday pleasure drives (unless to an event). Thats why I ran away from all of them. Mile limits didnt work either, going to lots of shows in the summer, I put up to 1000 miles a week on one. I put 100,000 on my Ferrari kit in 7 years, 28,000 on my SuperBee in 4 years 150,000 on one of my SLs in 11 years.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember where you live/drive, your age, etc will affect cost so Posts above comparing X co means little.
Many w/ low rate because of age etc.

I have Fiero on SFarm <$400 but I'm over X age, short drive to work, have house policy, and so on.

If I move to another state then the price will go up/down even when everything else is same.

Sadly yes "Collector" insurance, sim to many State historic etc tags, Limits driving. You need to read restriction first before you sign.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I looked into Haggarty and Grundy years ago about my cars. I asked very specific questions like could I drive it to take a date out for dinner (pleasure driving). They said absolutely NOT. ONLY to car events, club meetings, and parades. Not even allowed to drive it to a garage for service...had to be trailered. Absolutely no Sunday pleasure drives (unless to an event). Thats why I ran away from all of them. Mile limits didnt work either, going to lots of shows in the summer, I put up to 1000 miles a week on one. I put 100,000 on my Ferrari kit in 7 years, 28,000 on my SuperBee in 4 years 150,000 on one of my SLs in 11 years.

Things must have have changed alot since then.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, called yesterday just for shitz and giggles. Same questions using my Ferrari kit as reference...can I take it out for a Sunday cruise or out on a date. Grundy....Nope.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never asked. Dont ask dont tell.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True in most cases...but you dont want to find out when you have a fender bender and they refuse the claim... I ask questions in advance about everything that isnt absolutely clear. Ive found most insurance companies dont exist to try and get your car fixed, they try to find a way they can get out of paying your loss.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, called yesterday just for shitz and giggles. Same questions using my Ferrari kit as reference...can I take it out for a Sunday cruise or out on a date. Grundy....Nope.

Weird we can do that here.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I filled out Grundy's online quote form and printed out the policy application last Friday. This is for an agreed value $6000 policy on my 85 GT with 2500 to 5000 annual mile allowed to be driven. Each household driver has to have a daily driver insured elsewhere. The conditions stated on the policy are that the car only be used for car club meetings and car events and occasional pleasure drives. That is fine for what I use the car for. Premium will be $118 a year with $300,000 iliability
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That part about 'occasional pleasure drives' is what made me question them. That alone is not very clear...and I asked to clarify it. Occasionally is just too indefinate / subjective. Is that once a week, once a month...20 miles, 100 miles....? If you can take a girl out on a date in it, or go on a little country roadtrip, that apparently depends on where you live. You can, I cant.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess it does vary by State and location, although I didn't ask them specifically if I could use it for dining out. I did notice that Hagerty actually sponsored a classic car rally that was from New York all the way to the Villages here in North Central Fl.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That part about 'occasional pleasure drives' is what made me question them. That alone is not very clear...and I asked to clarify it. Occasionally is just too indefinate / subjective. Is that once a week, once a month...20 miles, 100 miles....? If you can take a girl out on a date in it, or go on a little country roadtrip, that apparently depends on where you live. You can, I cant.

You really need to move dude. I have seen many threads about how bad your neighborhood is anyway.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
American Modern Home Insurance is the cheapest. Limited to 5,000 miles per year and pleasure use only but only drive the cars 1000 miles per year as I do not want to destroy the condition.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

American Modern Home Insurance is the cheapest. Limited to 5,000 miles per year and pleasure use only but only drive the cars 1000 miles per year as I do not want to destroy the condition.

Have details on cost?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

You really need to move dude. I have seen many threads about how bad your neighborhood is anyway.

It WAS one of the best in the city till the undesirables moved in and brought all their crime and crap with them. Ive been trying to get rid of this place for years now and dont even get offers for a1/4 of what it cost 30 years ago. I already have 2 other places, one out of the country. Its entirely possible some of the insurance crap IS due to the neighborhood as it is now. But then my State Farm coverage on my houses and cars is pretty cheap compared to others. The closest comparable coverage on my motorhome for example was 3-4 times what SF charges and its parked at the bad property $200 @ year vs $650 for less coverages. SF even pays for rental car and motel in case of a breakdown. Soon as they opened a low cost apartment complex on the outskirts, crime jumped by hundreds of percents within a year. Now its 1000 times higher than 10 years ago and almost all the ones arrested (or described) are from those and other infected areas that have popped up all over.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

49601 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I buy and build cars I ENJOY just driving. I wont own a car I cant drive whenever I want. Like I said, I drove my show cars 1000 miles in a week or two. I used to do like a show one day in Cinncy, that same nite in Wheeling, next day in Ft Wayne, and another day or two at other cities around the state like Cambridge, Lima, Toledo. That was a typical summer week.

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Have details on cost?

Three collector cars on that policy. 300-500 liability + fire and theft. $158.00 year.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock