Kind of a Fiero (i.e.: Riatta) by Bruce
Started on: 06-11-2014 03:38 PM
Replies: 5 (337 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 06-12-2014 08:50 AM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's been a Riatta (sp.?) on a used car lot for a few weeks, and I've been playing with the idea of buying it and fiddling around with it. Is this a foolhardy decision, or are these Buicks worth the time?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My cousin has three, two convertibles and one hard top. The 3800 engines are great, but some of the electronics have issues. The first generation anti lock brakes have a "funny" feel to them. They are comfortable to sit and drive them, like driving from an easy chair.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
depends on the year.. remember they are an old hand built car with VERY expensive parts. crack the windshield its totaled. ABS light means at least $1000 worth of repair. I have a convertible and they are fun to drive but a hassle when they break.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

There's been a Riatta (sp.?) on a used car lot for a few weeks, and I've been playing with the idea of buying it and fiddling around with it. Is this a foolhardy decision, or are these Buicks worth the time?

Here's one I saw the other day, the older guy that owns it had a 3800 supercharged engine installed in it.

Every Reatta included a leather book containing the owner's manual and pen. In 1990 and 1991, a zippered owners folio was included. In addition to the owners manual, it also contained a "Craftsman's Log" with the signatures of the supervisors for the assembly of the car at the various craft stations, a pen, flashlight, and tire gauge, among other items. These slightly unusual items were an attempt to sell the mass-produced car as one built with individual care.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

depends on the year.. remember they are an old hand built car with VERY expensive parts. crack the windshield its totaled. ABS light means at least $1000 worth of repair. I have a convertible and they are fun to drive but a hassle when they break.

Not necessarily true. Could be accumulator ball, wheel sensors, etcetera and not necessarily the main pump unit. You are referring to a worse case scenario. There are other cars that have the diabolical Teves ABS system too, you know. Windshields are not cheap, true but that's why some either claim it on their insurance or they get a used one from a PNP. Best Reatta to get is a 91, especially the vert if you can find one. And lastly, parts are not VERY expensive as you indicated. Some parts are getting pricey like windshields, abs wheel sensors, headlight switches, etc but there are many GM parts common to the 3800 and to the E platform which it is based. (ie Riviera )
Kit
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The electronic dash board can be very troublesome. Check the Riata forums for the details.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock