Emergency fuel container by 2.5
Started on: 06-04-2014 01:36 PM
Replies: 20 (466 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-10-2014 08:57 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anything safe to keep in the front compartment (or anywhere else) for example that could be used as fuel if a fiero ran out of gas? For example cans of heet or octane boost or whiskey?
Keep in mind when added to the gas tank the tank would have little to no gas in it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Butanol. It's only moderately flammable. Slightly more than kerosene and can be used as a substitute fuel in most gasoline engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanol_fuel
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cristy Drygas of Massachusetts used to make a product like the Extra Fuel. It was in it's hey-day back in the 70's gas crunch era. The Extra Fuel would probably work well with the Fiero, since we know there's usually about 2 gallons of gasoline left in the tank to mix with a half gallon of Extra Fuel. Reading the customer's reviews, something flammable mixed with the Extra Fuel is needed to make it burn.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, gasoline in one of these.
http://www.jerrycans.co.uk/...l-jc005yex-102-p.asp

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure I'd trust that Jerry Can. It says it was approved by the UN. If it were filled with gasoline and got crushed in a rear-ender, there's good potential for a fire. Even at $35 for the half gallon of the substitute stuff, I'd rather have it.

Better still, carry a cell phone to call someone to bring some fuel, or refill before you get below 1/4 tank.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

http://amzn.com/B008BLFSWA

I had a bottle of similar stuff and I agree with the commenter... although it's not gas it is highly volatile and you can smell it inside the car. I heat sealed mine in a plastic bag and you could still smell it. A gas can would be far worse, but be advised anything outside of a real fuel tank with vapor recovery is going to smell bad.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I had a bottle of similar stuff and I agree with the commenter... although it's not gas it is highly volatile and you can smell it inside the car. I heat sealed mine in a plastic bag and you could still smell it. A gas can would be far worse, but be advised anything outside of a real fuel tank with vapor recovery is going to smell bad.

This is why I'm thinking fullly enclosed unopened bottles. Hopefully small enough to sit down in my the brake booster or spare tire.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by fierofool:

Better still, carry a cell phone to call someone to bring some fuel, or refill before you get below 1/4 tank.

Thinking of the other option (besides that)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

http://amzn.com/B008BLFSWA

$35 plus shipping for a half gallon?

ouch.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I used a 1 gal plastic gas can for a long trip I made. I put it in the front compartment. No issues. I took it out afterwards. I still have the can (but it is used for 2 cycle gas now).
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Personally, I used a 1 gal plastic gas can for a long trip I made. I put it in the front compartment. No issues. I took it out afterwards. I still have the can (but it is used for 2 cycle gas now).

Which type was it, the old school with a cap and a vent, unvented, or I think tehre is even a newer style one...?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Which type was it, the old school with a cap and a vent, unvented, or I think tehre is even a newer style one...?

old style with cap and vent. The spout stores inside the container.

similar to this:

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 06-05-2014).]

shawnk

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me find a pic of what i have. it came out of an 80's mercedes. it fits inside the donut tire. look for MB fuel containers
shawnk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shawnk

968 posts
Member since Mar 2008
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

This is why I'm thinking fullly enclosed unopened bottles. Hopefully small enough to sit down in my the brake booster or spare tire.

My container was unopened and you could still smell it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnk:

Thats pretty cool. You have this mounted in your Fiero spare?

So I suppose using stuff easily found like:
heet
octane boost
lead treatment
Marvel mystery oil
Lucas fuel treatment
Seafoam...etc
would be bad becasue of the low volume of gas with it?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-06-2014).]

shawnk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkSend a Private Message to shawnkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea it sits inside my spare and the bar that holds the tire fits right over it
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A little expensive, but a good idea if you don't have a working gas gauge that is still available evidently from MB directly if you want a new one.

https://www.partswebsite.co...zpartswholesale/?i=6

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-08-2014).]

Exotion

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to the hardware store get a few bottles of either echo brand or stihl brand premix synthetic ethonal free fuel it'll keep for years and is sealed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exotion:

Go to the hardware store get a few bottles of either echo brand or stihl brand premix synthetic ethonal free fuel it'll keep for years and is sealed

Thanks will check it out, a little lube for the top end too
Dont know why I didnt think of that.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay