Started on: 06-04-2014 09:38 AM
Replies: 47 (1135 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 06-09-2014 07:11 AM
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an observation, but the Fiero marketplace seems a little dead to me. I have decided to attempt to sell a Fiero and listed it locally for sale. Now, it is the only running V6 for sale in about 75 miles, overall is in pretty good shape (including fairly recent paint, solid chassis) but has garnered zero interest.

I last attempted to sell a Fiero in 2011, and although it took a while to come to a deal (it was a nice 88 t-top and I was trying to get as much for it, so not really dealing), I found that there was a decent amount of interest. Back in 2010, I was even able to fairly easily move an Formula which had bad paint, a dead engine, and rough interior (for $500 too).

I know it isn't the most desirable model Fiero (85 2m6), but the silence of the crickets is deafening. Even a quick look at ebay showed a lot of cars with zero bids at all.

Are they just reaching an age where most people don't want to get involved?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 2m6 should do better than a 2m4. If its an automatic I usually dont look twice. How much you asking out of curiosity?
The market is very small for stock-ish Fieros, the general public doesnt seem interested, kids these days dont drive for fun as much as they used to and mommy wants to buy them a Toyota. Many Fieros I see for sale are usually basket cases havent run for unknown years and are over priced. But nice running ones are selling for less than I would think they should.
Probably the general public doesnt know the first thing about auto repair and is scared of older cars, many in the classic car crowd doesnt know what to think of Fieros.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell me about it ! ! I have been trying to sell my 1987 GT for three months. I have had 2 lookers and both wanted it free and one that is about 100 miles away that has not made it here to look at the car. The car needs to be gone but I simply will not give it away. Wish I could find some youg whipper snapper that likes old cars and has some mechanical skill to purchase it.
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

85 2m6 should do better than a 2m4. If its an automatic I usually dont look twice. How much you asking out of curiosity?
The market is very small for stock-ish Fieros, the general public doesnt seem interested, kids these days dont drive for fun as much as they used to and mommy wants to buy them a Toyota. Many Fieros I see for sale are usually basket cases havent run for unknown years and are over priced. But nice running ones are selling for less than I would think they should.
Probably the general public doesnt know the first thing about auto repair and is scared of older cars, many in the classic car crowd doesnt know what to think of Fieros.

I think I am slightly high on price at $2500, on purpose, to see if it generates interest. Yet, may not be too high. Details are: 85 2m6, 4 speed stick, 101K miles, sunroof. Exterior fully painted (including redoing all trim) and in excellent shape. Interior a little rough, based on age, but not terrible either (helped by custom seat covers over the worn seats, but even worn they are not shredded). Leaks some oil, but runs pretty strong. Clutch has about 25K (as does master/slave) and works fine. I can (and sometimes do) daily drive the car. The only blemish is a cradle which had some rot under the battery, and I had repaired by boxing it with new steel welded in (not a spec of rust anywhere else on the chassis). Really, someone could buy this car and drive it tomorrow without spending a dime on repairs.

You are definately correct that the younger crowd doesn't seek fun as much anymore, and views cars even more widely as appliances than anything for enjoyment or hobby. That hurts, since younger guys would likely be the target audience for such a car. I think pushing 30 hurts it too, as I am sure it is viewed more as a fragile antique than a driveable car.

The ability to sell them seems to be getting more difficult, quickly.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kids are not interested for a couple of reasons.... it isn't a fastback and it is old. Kids are looking for newer vehicles that are reliable and attractive (ie... newer). Parents are not interested in older cars, as there is an increased potential for breaking down and let's face it... it doesn't have a lot of safety features, like newer cars. Yes, the Fiero is safe, but you have to know about fieros to understand.

Personally, I am cheap and wouldn't pay more than a few grand for a non-fastback. Maybe a little more for a t-top, but probably not. Automatics are not interesting to me and if it was modified, I am not interested, as I like stock cars.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most "average" people would care more about nice seats than rust. (though its not smart to do so)
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Most "average" people would care more about nice seats than rust. (though its not smart to do so)

Well, they look at the car and think... the interior is ratty, the rest must be bad also. Also, rust on a fiero is not something the average person thinks about because they can't see it. They don't know about hidden rust.
V8 Vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Around here its possible a Mexican would buy it just for basic transportation completely unaware of any collector value.
I spun my 87 GT 5 speed out in the rain on the freeway and hit the wall hard. The front bumper , nose was shoved in under the hood, you couldn't open the hood. It was a nice car, good paint, interior, and ran good, I drove it regularly, 160,000 miles, comparable on Craigslist was $3,000. I lucked out and sold it in a few days to a guy who was real happy to get it for $600. He knew it would be hard to fix. I told him to go to Pick Your Part regularly until he finds the parts he needs. I'm old and didn't want to fool with it anymore, I had had it 12 years.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

Tell me about it ! ! I have been trying to sell my 1987 GT for three months. I have had 2 lookers and both wanted it free and one that is about 100 miles away that has not made it here to look at the car. The car needs to be gone but I simply will not give it away. Wish I could find some youg whipper snapper that likes old cars and has some mechanical skill to purchase it.

Wish I could find some youg whipper snapper that likes old cars and has some mechanical skill to purchase it. Good luck on that one. Don't know what's wrong with the kids nowadays. My daughter's boyfriend, 21. I don't think he knows what a combination wrench is much less a timing light. Many times, I'll be working on the Fiero or anything else. Last summer I had the Mustang engine torn down and was putting it back together. He walks by and says hi. At that age, I would've been all over that. Can I help, can I at least watch. Heck, at this age, (49 for 20 days), I'd still be asking those same questions.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the ready made, push a button society that we live in today, it is not puzzling why the car hobby market is finding less interest. People have interest in collector vehicles but todays collector wants to just put the keys in and drive a picture perfect car. Even if you have a #10 restoration, Fiero's are still hard to sell. The car is basically a limited production model and doesn't have a reputation for performance. For the money that some are asking for a high end restored Fiero you could buy a Camaro, Firebird of Corvette

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the life of me I can't understand why kids don't seem to want to drive. When I was getting old enough to get my license, I couldn't imagine waiting any longer than that day to go take the test.... Now kids just don't seem to care.

wow, I'm really starting to sound old..... I didn't even have to walk to school up hill both ways..... hold on, I have to go yell at these kids to get off the grass!
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

For the life of me I can't understand why kids don't seem to want to drive.

They have social connections that don't require them to leave their location. They are constantly connected by voice, video and text. Also... at nearly $4 a gallon for gas... it is an expensive to drive. Then add in the cost of insurance and the hassle of owning a car (if it needs repairs)...

I know of a few kids who didn't get their license right away. They could get where they were going without a car and it worked for them.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as a "young whippersnapper" myself... A fiero at $2500 is a horrible bargin compared to actual sports cars priced similarly... RX7, miata, CRX, 2nd gen MR2, Supra, conquest, DSM, are all WAY WAY WAY better cars for the same money or less than a fiero in similar condition. The market is just overall flooded with old 2 seaters that will out handle, out horsepower and out MPG a fiero.

I just bought a perfectly clean airizona miata with a great turbo setup making 200whp on excellent wheels, tires, new suspeion parts all over, etc.. for $2500. A stock fiero with a repaint is worth $350 next to a miata like that.

My turbo CRX was $1000 running off craigslist (although it was a sorta bad deal).. Reality is I still have less than $2500 into it not including some elbow grease and its a 350whp car with pretty good reliability and a billion times better handling, mpg, storage....
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know what you mean. The younger guys only want a cell phone and a car that thinks for them. We now have cars with so much smarts that they are actually smarter than a lot of the drivers on the road. I grew up under cars and greasy finger nails. I got it from my Father and rand Father they were car nuts and fixed stuff because there was not enough money to pay rent and pay a mechanic to fix the cars. I think the car hobby is suffering now because at the car shows you only see older people with the old cars and the younger ones with some Honda with a turbo and NOS. Even the car manufacturers are going that way, a present Hemi is not a true Hemi. A Hemi has wide chrome valve covers with the spark plugs going through them, an aluminum intake with a big carb or multiple carbs, big red spark plug wires coming out of the distributor, 426 cubic inches and they sound like they would eat your children, that is a HEMI. Displacement is supposed to be Cubic Inches not Liters. I can forgive Liters as a measure of beer but not motors. Enough of my rambling. "Live fast, love hard and leave a beautiful memory." By the way any one want a 1987 GT?
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

as a "young whippersnapper" myself... A fiero at $2500 is a horrible bargin compared to actual sports cars priced similarly... RX7, miata, CRX, 2nd gen MR2, Supra, conquest, DSM, are all WAY WAY WAY better cars for the same money or less than a fiero in similar condition. The market is just overall flooded with old 2 seaters that will out handle, out horsepower and out MPG a fiero.

I just bought a perfectly clean airizona miata with a great turbo setup making 200whp on excellent wheels, tires, new suspeion parts all over, etc.. for $2500. A stock fiero with a repaint is worth $350 next to a miata like that.

My turbo CRX was $1000 running off craigslist (although it was a sorta bad deal).. Reality is I still have less than $2500 into it not including some elbow grease and its a 350whp car with pretty good reliability and a billion times better handling, mpg, storage....

Sounds like a good deal on the Miata. However, the market there must be different. I could not touch a running Miata in decent shape for that much here. People want no less than $4000 for a Miata pushing 200K, rust holes in the fenders, and a top that needs replacement.
Metalflake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MetalflakeSend a Private Message to MetalflakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if it's because people are are just charging too much for what amounts to a old niche car in a niche market? I've been cruising fleaBay for the past little while, and 88GT's are running anywhere from $8-10 grand for an automatic, and as much as $16,000 (!) dollars for a 5-speed in decent shape. Crikes, I could buy a nice C4 Corvette, 300ZX or Supra turbo, or Camaro Z28 in good shape for that kind of cheddar. Even very rough 84-85 4-cyl's seem to be getting listed at close to $2000...that's just silly money, all things considered.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a lot of Fieros for sale, often without bids. The prices are generally VERY high. 8000 for a beat up stock car with more than 150k miles is unrealistic. I wouldn't pay $2500 for an '85. I've been seeing '86 v8s with new tires, paint, headliner, coolant tubes, brakes, shocks, struts, battery, power, sunfoor, leather seat covers, and 180k for $3,000.

Many nice-looking Fieros are just rust buckets.
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta chime in here.

I just bought my first Fiero. It's an 88 GT T-top automatic.

I live in Canada. The T-Top was never sold here (at least that's what I've been told).

The car I bought was imported from the U.S. 6 years ago with 11,000 miles. It now has 25,300 miles on it.

I paid $9,000 Canadian, which is about $8,226 US. I think that's a great deal.

My two kids, 16 and 18 love it. They take it to school and have told me lots of kids think it's cool.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One the thing to keep in mind is that the ebay market is primarily bought into by people who don't have any good local deals. Either the cars are rare in their local areas, or they rust out. So the ebay prices are "premium" prices. I wouldn't never expect to get more than that. The true value of the car is less than the ebay closing bid prices.

Also, I think there is less interest in a stock car in good condition than a stock car in bad condition, since a lot of interest is in engine swaps, exterior modifications, and other custom work. No point in paying for nice parts that are just going to get thrown out.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pcgold:

Gotta chime in here.

I live in Canada. The T-Top was never sold here (at least that's what I've been told).

The car I bought was imported from the U.S. 6 years ago with 11,000 miles. It now has 25,300 miles on it.

My two kids, 16 and 18 love it. They take it to school and have told me lots of kids think it's cool.

That car is considered to be the absolute top dollar you would ever see out of a fiero. I have sold an 87 non ttop in similar shape for comparable money, so yes it is a good deal. The cars we are talking about in this thread are not the gem collector cars with well documented rare features/mileage though, we are talking about the good shape driver cars. These cars will never have any value outside the amount of miles you can drive it and how fun it is to drive... and when you get into this category you are mixing it in with A TON of very good 2 seaters that you can throw around onramps for cheaper, do it faster, or while in general looking cooler (notchback anyway).

Sounds like a good deal on the Miata.

Yeah, i hardly believe I own this thing every time I drive it... it was an amazing deal.

some examples (dont grill me here guys I just quickly searched craigslist) of cars that you are competing against...

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4477824729.html

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/4485262875.html

http://toronto.en.craigslis.../cto/4453099560.html
Jack Mehoff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jack MehoffSend a Private Message to Jack MehoffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The obvious answer is: Supply vs. Demand.

You forgot a very important one, darkhorizon
http://miami.craigslist.org.../cto/4442468955.html
PFF
System Bot
Bebop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BebopSend a Private Message to BebopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a 88GT with 79,000 miles on it. One owner car and paid $6000 for it. Always garaged. Everything works and I think I got a good deal.

[This message has been edited by Bebop (edited 06-04-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny thing about kids. My oldest, 17, would have trouble checking the oil. No way he could do an oil change without me guiding him every step. Youngest boy,13, has been elbow deep in dirt bike motors may times. Heck, he even split cases and changed out a crank on his 65 when he was 9 (I had to do the heavy lifting, lol). He wants an El Camino for his first car. Both raised in the same house, both spent every day riding the bus to my shop for years. The thing with old, not super well known, cars is you have got to be able to sit on them a while. Don't think a Fiero is a car that can make quick cash.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

racingfortheson

377 posts
Member since Aug 2013

Originally posted by Fformula88:

Sounds like a good deal on the Miata. However, the market there must be different. I could not touch a running Miata in decent shape for that much here. People want no less than $4000 for a Miata pushing 200K, rust holes in the fenders, and a top that needs replacement.

I just got my wife a 03' 2nd Gen Miata with new top and tires, leather seats and the Bose system for $3300. Only 119k miles. We had to drive to Arkansas, about 2hrs, but it was a great deal.
CorridorCulprit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CorridorCulpritSend a Private Message to CorridorCulpritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I sold my Fiero, I did it right when the nice weather came and I had it up for 4k, 86 2M6 with year old paint, automatic. I had 4 calls the first day and sold it to the first guy that showed up. There were 2 or 3 other Fieros on at the same time, one was as good as mine, but up for 6k instead.
Ironically, I picked up a NA Miata to replace the Fiero. I originally never thought I'd have a car that was more fun than the Fiero, I could never be more wrong.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CorridorCulprit:

I picked up a NA Miata to replace the Fiero. I originally never thought I'd have a car that was more fun than the Fiero, I could never be more wrong.

Nice Job ! If it wasn't for building a car the way i want it, I wouldn't touch a fiero with a 10 foot pole when there are cars like the miata around.

I think a fiero used to be more marketable when it offered more advantages compared to other cars available in its price range. It was good on gas, easy to park and fun to drive. You could also repair it yourself kinda easily with kinda common tools.

Now there are a ton of cars that offercomparable or better mileage, way more power/throttle response, without the short-comings - VERY limited range (small gas tank), No friggin' room, and you have to work on it All the friggin time fighting the evil GM designed into it to make you take it back to the dealer.

I think pretty much all that's left is the hobby crowd and high school kids with little money

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-05-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pcgold:

Gotta chime in here.

Cool. Yeah, we can tend to be pessimistic sometimes, I know some 16 year olds who think Fieros are cool too.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
The more Miatas folks buy, the More Fieros left for the rest of us
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with Dark and Paul. I love my Fiero but there are far far better cars out there. Quicker, better handling etc. will I sell my last Fiero? Nope.. But is the general public as into them as I am? Not even close. You basically sell to young kids with a tight budget or other Fiero fanatics- most of which already have a Fiero...and you won't get top dollar unless you have a crazy mint, rare one...
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is the younger generation does not know about this car. I can't think of one time a millennial came up to me and knew anything about my car. Normally they come and tell me my car looks really cool and ask if it is an old Ferrari. (Sadly, I had a gentlemen from the "Boomer" generation ask me if it was a Ferrari last year... ) B/C of this they do not even know to enter Fiero in the search engine on Ebay or anywhere else. This makes it difficult to generate "virtual traffic" for these cars. I would try and find a used car dealer that will sell it on consignment for you. You will definitely get more people looking/asking about it. Taking it to local cruise ins with a for sale sign would probably not be a bad idea. Also, if you have a high power Fiero a trip to the Friday night test-n-tune would not be a bad place to generate some interest. Run it down the strip in under 13 seconds and I'll bet some kids come ask about it...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys, there's a live one over in O/T.

my god Fiero prices have shot up
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

I don't think he knows what a combination wrench is much less a timing light.

Uh, what is a timing light?

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wish I could find some youg whipper snapper that likes old cars and has some mechanical skill to purchase it. Good luck on that one. Don't know what's wrong with the kids nowadays. My daughter's boyfriend, 21. I don't think he knows what a combination wrench is much less a timing light. Many times, I'll be working on the Fiero or anything else. Last summer I had the Mustang engine torn down and was putting it back together. He walks by and says hi. At that age, I would've been all over that. Can I help, can I at least watch. Heck, at this age, (49 for 20 days), I'd still be asking those same questions.

They are to busy with the electron based social lives and shopping to want to get their hands dirty. The definition of "cool" is no longer related to transportation appliances.
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hey guys, there's a live one over in O/T.

my god Fiero prices have shot up

LOL.

Well, I have noticed some with high prices. Not too far from me is an 88 Formula with 30k mileage, price $9000. Seems high to me.

Thing is, how many are selling?

I am not sure what the local market even is. $2500 which I figured is a fair asking price (not necessarily what I would expect to sell for) has generated no interest.

Question is, does the price scare away buyers and is too high, or is there nobody looking at it which makes the price irrelevant.

I think it is the latter.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would change the title on the ad to "Pontiac", that way anyone searching under Pontiac would see it.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
On the Miata, I know its a good car but it's too small for my taste and I don't really care for the styling.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've kind of noticed that too. I have several younger friends that are a few years younger than me (they're all at or reaching 30), and none of them have any interest in cars either. It seems the younger they are, the less interest they have. I will put it this way, not trying to be political... but the "get your hands dirty" kind of kids who's parents are Republican do still seem to be interested in cars. The kids across the street from me both have Jeeps and they work on them. But that's pretty much where it stops. When I go to the junkyard, I see people my age (mid 30s) and middle-aged people looking for parts for their cars.

When I was ~18... and I used to go to the yard, there were all other 18 year olds and kids going. No matter when I go, I no longer see young people going to the yards.

It must be a societal difference in how people perceive their freedoms.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A big percentage of the young people around here have jacked up pickup trucks mostly in pretty crappy condition, the ones that have cars have flat black crappy looking small imports with fart cans on the back.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I tell some young person that gas was 25 cents a gallon, a coke was 5 cents, etc. they look at me like I am crazy. When they ask for my cell phone number and I tell them I do not have one, the look at me like I am crazy/ When I tell them that I went to grammar school bare foot in a pair od jeans and a T shirt they look at me like I am crazy. When I tell them that there was no color television and I listened to the radio for entertainment, they look at me like I am crazy. When I ask them if they can drive a stick shift, they look at me like I am crazy. When I tell them that my first job paid $10.00 per week, they look at me like I am crazy. The good old days are dead and gone and I miss them, I am crazy.
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

When I tell some young person that gas was 25 cents a gallon, a coke was 5 cents, etc. they look at me like I am crazy. When they ask for my cell phone number and I tell them I do not have one, the look at me like I am crazy/ When I tell them that I went to grammar school bare foot in a pair od jeans and a T shirt they look at me like I am crazy. When I tell them that there was no color television and I listened to the radio for entertainment, they look at me like I am crazy. When I ask them if they can drive a stick shift, they look at me like I am crazy. When I tell them that my first job paid $10.00 per week, they look at me like I am crazy. The good old days are dead and gone and I miss them, I am crazy.

That's hilarious

For me gas was 50 cents a gallon a coke was 35 cents. So the generation gap just keeps getting wider for us.
On a side note as a skilled tradesman we are not seeing the number of young people needed, coming into the trades to replace us older guys.
College isn't for everyone a white collar job isn't for everyone and that's........ OK.
When I was in high school the big push was for kids to go to college, get a degree in computer programming, land a high paying high tech job. It seemed at the time a blue collar job was something people would look down on.
Ironically, that computer programming job and many engineering jobs are now outsourced to India or where ever the costs are lowest.
The class C high school I graduated from had a Metal Shop, Wood Shop, Auto Shop, Printing Shop (graphic arts) and Mechanical/ Architectural Drafting classes.. They also had another program with other school districts where they would build a small house and sell it.
The class A high school my son attends, has 0 in house industrial arts programs. If you interested in any industrial arts programs you get bussed to a Vocational Tech. Center, where other school districts send there students also.
I hope some day in the near future, our culture will recognize how valuable skilled trades are to our way of life, and its ok to say.....I'm...... proud to say..... I'm a BLUE COLLAR MAN.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock