Started on: 05-27-2014 03:06 AM
Replies: 29 (1544 views)
Last post by: KaijuSenso on 06-03-2014 07:03 PM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a decade of peeling clearcoat I finally dealt with the blight of my car's exterior. Well, part of it at least.

I asked Metro Restyling to print me a black, red, and gray digital camo vinyl wrap. I gave them the color code for the Fiero red (my car's original color) and asked them to match it. They sent me a few samples, and I picked one to order a 4 ft x 45 ft sheet of. Just enough to do a Fiero. 30+ hours of work later, I'm done with the wrap. Took some photos tonight and came up with this:

Since my clearcoat was in bad shape on most panels, I had to sand it down to the layer of paint that was adhering well, so that the vinyl wouldn't come off later due to substrate failure. This made my vinyl install require about the same prep work as a full paint job. That means hours and hours of block sanding. If your paint is in good shape, a vinyl wrap doesn't require much prep work -- just remove some trim, clean the panels, and go at it.

The wrap itself took 20+ hours of work. This is the third car I've done a wrap on. I wrapped my Subaru Outback (photo here) as well as my friend's Evo X -- although that one is not quite done yet.

EDIT: For those curious about the photo, these are the two originals straight from the camera with no processing at all: Image 1, Image 2 I mixed the two images and removed the background.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 05-29-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is cool!

Question for you though: is putting the wrap on pretty much the same as vinyl racing stripes just covering everything?
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks wicked!

Great work on the wrap and the picture came out great.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! Nice work. Want to wrap my Indy for me?
------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 05-27-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOVE the HRD image. I am a photographer, so have some questions on that aspect Did you light paint the car? I see the time lapse streak in the air over the car, did you have someone behind the car aiming a light down and walking around? The end result is phenomenal , and has a very cool CG look to it.

[EDIT]. I originally thought it was an HDR photo, but now see it was 2 different angles that you took the photos from.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-27-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wrap looks good!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really great, any more pictures?

Nolan
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I originally thought it was an HDR photo, but now see it was 2 different angles that you took the photos from.

The two images appear to be shot from exactly the same angle... and then combined (minus the background).

The wrap looks great, and the posted image is cool as well.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Originally posted by Patrick:
The two images appear to be shot from exactly the same angle... and then combined (minus the background).

This is correct.

In fact I only used the driver's side door reflection and front corner of the fascia from the second (darker) shot. The first shot I used a fill flash; the second shot I did not.

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Looks really great, any more pictures?

Nolan

Not yet, barely had enough time to get this one done. RallyX coming up this weekend and then another weekend at the track.. I'll try to take some more pictures at the track.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 05-27-2014).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Wrap looks great, as does the photo! Hopefully I can learn from your technique That composite is stunning!
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing some more pictures. It looks great!.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always kinda wondered how the Fiero would look in Digi Camo, I like the red much better than ACU as far as being on a Fiero. Looks fantastic and that picture looks BA. Someone will probably make that their computer background or something.
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, more pictures please!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't had a chance to shoot more photos yet, but here are the high-resolution low-compression versions of the one posted above:

http://www.steventsnyder.co...G_7530-1920x1080.jpg

http://www.steventsnyder.co...G_7530-2560x1440.jpg

http://www.steventsnyder.co...G_7530-5472x3078.jpg
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a nice job of wrapping! How did you learn the tech&skill of wrap? beautiful pics also.
Torch-Red87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Torch-Red87Click Here to visit Torch-Red87's HomePageSend a Private Message to Torch-Red87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve that is car p*rn ... you know !?
Well done I must say, almost a prototype look .... even GM can't do better.

[This message has been edited by Torch-Red87 (edited 05-28-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

http://www.steventsnyder.co...G_7530-5472x3078.jpg

It became obvious while looking at this image that you need to touch up your rocker panels. Heh heh...
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat concept looks good; just needs a bunch of sponsor/hi pro stickers and such. Chump car, or want-a-bee?

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Neat concept looks good; just needs a bunch of sponsor/hi pro stickers and such. Chump car, or want-a-bee?

I don't have any sponsors. The only stickers it will wear is my numbers. It's just a track day car. I've been using it to work my way up through NASA HPDE so I can get my competition license. I just got approved to move into HPDE4 so I might try Time Trials, but I doubt I can make this platform competitive without big $$$ anyway.

I'm going to build another vehicle for wheel-to-wheel racing.

Originally posted by Patrick:

It became obvious while looking at this image that you need to touch up your rocker panels. Heh heh...

And the mirrors... and the black trim... and the sail panel logos.. and seat upholstery.. hahhaha, I know. This is the first major cosmetic work I've done to this car in 6 years. There's still a lot to do! :-)

PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must have missed something, or is this some new thing in the custom car world? Why would you do that to your car? Are you going someplace with black and red leaves where you don't want to be seen? I'm sorry, I don't get it.

But obviously it makes you happy, so that's great as far as I'm concerned. It just surprises me so much that I had to ask.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I must have missed something, or is this some new thing in the custom car world? Why would you do that to your car? Are you going someplace with black and red leaves where you don't want to be seen? I'm sorry, I don't get it.

But obviously it makes you happy, so that's great as far as I'm concerned. It just surprises me so much that I had to ask.

Car wraps are a staple in the racing world. It can be changed, adjusted, and adapted pretty easily. Personally I love the look of this car. Very unique as our cars are. I'm thinking about it on my car as well, but in a solid red as torch as I can get. But I want to move pretty soon. I'm sick of looking at my crappy clear coat peal.

BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like your front valance, if that's what you call it. Any info on it, build thread?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BOBBY D:

I like your front valance, if that's what you call it. Any info on it, build thread?

there's a thread over on RFT, on for his front aero mods, and one for the rear wing.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I must have missed something, or is this some new thing in the custom car world?

Your observation is correct. Durable vinyl graphics are relatively new on vehicles in general. The adhesive and materials have improved significantly over the past 10 years. Printed vinyl has been used on commercial vehicles longer than it has been in the custom car scene.

Why would you do that to your car? Are you going someplace with black and red leaves where you don't want to be seen? I'm sorry, I don't get it.

Why do you have paint on your car? The panels are plastic, it's not like they need any rust protection. It's because paint looks awesome.

Why are your clothes not natural fabric? It's because patterns and colors look more interesting.

Why did I wrap my car in a black and red pattern? Because I think it looks awesome . You don't wear a plaid shirt so you can go somewhere that you need to blend in with vertical and horizontal red and green stripes, right?

No need to explain your reaction -- I knew early on that the pattern was going to be surprising and possibly even outrageous. I also knew some people would love it and some people would hate it. I didn't even know if I was going to like it, even after I finished applying it I wasn't sure.. but I never let anyone -- even myself -- get in my way of trying something new.

Originally posted by BOBBY D:

Thanks! It's typically referred to as a front splitter, since it splits the air going over and under the car. It's made from 0.125" alumalite, which is an aluminum and corrugated plastic composite board, often used for outdoor signage. I bolted it to the subframe at the rear, and secured it with cables and turnbuckles at the front. The cables allow it to bend up, but keep it stiff and strong when it's generating downforce. The ability to bend is important at the track because I don't want the splitter to break off if I hit some curbing or have an off-track excursion. It's also useful for when I have to pull into gas stations on the way to and from the track, so it can rub on driveways without breaking. I originally had it attached with solid links but quickly broke them during transit.

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the vinyl wrap stick to primer?

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 05-29-2014).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Will the vinyl wrap stick to primer?

Yup!

I would use a UV-stable primer to avoid eventual substrate failure at any unwrapped/exposed areas or edges.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 05-30-2014).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took some pics up on Angeles Crest Highway yesterday after work while testing out my new oil cooler setup before the upcoming track weekend.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 06-03-2014).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loving the wrap, thanks for more pictures.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock