Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  GM's Buy-back program for Fiero's back in the '90's (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
GM's Buy-back program for Fiero's back in the '90's by hcforde
Started on: 05-26-2014 12:41 AM
Replies: 62 (2035 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 06-26-2014 03:18 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife was pregnant with our first daughter so the Fiero was not going to work for us anymore. We needed 2 family type cars so we went shopping. When the GM dealer learned we had a 1984 Fiero, we were given a number to call about the Fiero buy-back program. We negotiated a price directly with GM and they offered us a check OR a larger sum if we bought another GM car. When I asked what they were going to do with the Fiero's they bught back, I was told they were going to be crushed.

Is there any information concerning how many Fiero's were bought back and crushed by GM?

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - being restored
1986 GT, runs but clutch/issue - Chop-top candidate
1986 SE, runs, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time I've ever heard of it. I know they gave folks with 84s new engines, but never knew they had a buy back program. Although they typically keep that quiet anyway.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

First time I've ever heard of it. I know they gave folks with 84s new engines, but never knew they had a buy back program. Although they typically keep that quiet anyway.

I never had a problem with my engine. I loved that car, It reminded me of the Lotus Europa I owned in the mid 70's. The handling was not quite as tight as the lotus was, but good enough.

BTW, isn't it time for you to do another project? I will give you one of my Chop-top candidates and you give me your chop-top. That works for me. lol

PM sent.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First time I've ever heard of it.

After a year or two of looking I bought my first Fiero in '95, & another parts car either in '96 or '97. Of any place I was looking, car dealer or otherwise, I never heard of this.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

When the GM dealer learned we had a 1984 Fiero, we were given a number to call about the Fiero buy-back program.

Was this really from GM, or just a dealer looking to make a sale by making it look like there was some sort of official program to re-acquire certain older models?

On the occasions where I've bought cars brand-new, I got all kinds of stuff in the mail wanting to "buy back" my car after a year or two-three years. "There is a nationwide shortage of 19XX Chevys just like yours and are offering top dollar - call today!!"

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Was this really from GM, or just a dealer looking to make a sale by making it look like there was some sort of official program to re-acquire certain older models?

On the occasions where I've bought cars brand-new, I got all kinds of stuff in the mail wanting to "buy back" my car after a year or two-three years. "There is a nationwide shortage of 19XX Chevys just like yours and are offering top dollar - call today!!"

This sounds more likely. I get this crap all the time. Along with the crap that tells you that you manufacturer's warranty is expiring. They call me about my 2007 Chevy and when I ask "which one?" all I get is silence. They are just reading from a script and don't have a clue.

originally posted by hcforde

BTW, isn't it time for you to do another project? I will give you one of my Chop-top candidates and you give me your chop-top. That works for me. lol

PM sent.

Not likely to happen, lol. My choptop is in self imposed timeout. My bank accounts have still not recovered from the last trip to Archie's in 2008. Almost, but not quite.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a bunch of those too about 2 years after I bought the Magnum. I actually went to that dealer to see what it was. They offered me about $10K less than what they were going for in retail used market, and I laughed and walked out. Wasnt a big deal, I went right past them going to a friends.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I got a bunch of those too about 2 years after I bought the Magnum. I actually went to that dealer to see what it was. They offered me about $10K less than what they were going for in retail used market, and I laughed and walked out. Wasnt a big deal, I went right past them going to a friends.

Why do car dealers feel it necessary to steal your trade from you? I mean I know it's the American way to make money but if I buy a new car at a fair price why can't they buy my car from me at a fair price? Every trade I have ever made I feel like I was robbed, but I did it anyway to avoid the hassle of selling on my own. But occasionally the trade-in offers were so ridiculous I did sell on my own. Is it in car dealers DNA to rip people off?
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is it in car dealers DNA to rip people off?

It is not a rip-off. They are trying to buy something at a low price and sell it at a high price. It is not rocket science, and it is not a rip-off. Nobody is forcing a person to trade in a car at a dealership. Much like real estate agents, car dealers "create" their own industry by making it seem necessary to use them for the transaction. Nobody is forced to agree to a trade-in: you exchange a lower sale price for the convenience of not having to sell the car privately yourself.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My wife was pregnant with our first daughter so the Fiero was not going to work for us anymore. We needed 2 family type cars so we went shopping. When the GM dealer learned we had a 1984 Fiero, we were given a number to call about the Fiero buy-back program. We negotiated a price directly with GM and they offered us a check OR a larger sum if we bought another GM car. When I asked what they were going to do with the Fiero's they bught back, I was told they were going to be crushed.

Is there any information concerning how many Fiero's were bought back and crushed by GM?

Hard to believe they would crush their trade-in and deliberately loose money on the deal. Better odds would be to tuck a connecting rod somewhere in the engine compartment (smoking gun) and set the car on fire. Then collect the insurance. In reference to the recall, Who would know?

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 05-26-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was a legit offer from General Motors itself. Remember, this was back in 1990! None of the negotiation was handled locally and the cash out deal I was offered way more than Bluebook or that I could have gotten selling it outright. I remember that I had purchased a new set of tires, when they learned about that the offer went up even more than the cost of the tires. The voucher I was given, (I was looking for a new car), was good at any GM dealership.

This wasn't a dealership scam, it came out of corporate. I worked for GM in the 70's in their accounting department. It may have been in response to the issues with the 1984 model fiero's but they corporate people told me they were were taking them off the road and were going to crush them. It may have been limited to that model year and one of those quiet 'recalls'.

My interest was sparked by a recent post where the poster thought there was a waning interest in Fiero's. I do not share that view but would like to kind of get an idea of how many Fiero's may be around. There is natural attrition, and then the buyback and destroy program. Just wondering how extensive it may have been.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 05-26-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This was a legit offer from General Motors itself. None of the negotiation was handled locally and the cash out deal I was offered way more than Bluebook or that I could have gotten selling it outright. I remember that I had purchased a new set of tires, when they learned about that the offer went up even more than the cost of the tires. The voucher I was given, (I was looking for a new car), was good at any GM dealership.

My question to this is, what did you do?

Did you sell or trade?

Inquiring minds need to know
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

My question to this is, what did you do?

Did you sell or trade?

Inquiring minds need to know

I went to the dealer looking for a larger car. I traded it in!! I also got an added rebate for being a recent MBA grad from the University of Texas at Austin so it ended up being a very good deal for me. I bought a Red 1990 Grand Am. Got a ticket 2 hours later. Took it back and they allowed me to change it to a grey one.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

It is not a rip-off. They are trying to buy something at a low price and sell it at a high price. It is not rocket science, and it is not a rip-off. ...

Okay "rip-off" is a bit harsh... what I meant to say is that no dealer has ever offered me what I consider a fair price for my trade. I mean I look at Kelly blue book, look at the black book, or Edmunds or whatever and no matter what the so-called trade-in price is listed at, every dealer I have ever talked to has offered only a fraction of that price.

To me that is what I call a rip off. Yeah you pay for convenience of selling it to them versus Craigslist or eBay or whatever, but If you are buying a car from them at full price you would think they would not also feel obligated to get rich off the trade as well.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why do car dealers feel it necessary to steal your trade from you? I mean I know it's the American way to make money but if I buy a new car at a fair price why can't they buy my car from me at a fair price? Every trade I have ever made I feel like I was robbed, but I did it anyway to avoid the hassle of selling on my own. But occasionally the trade-in offers were so ridiculous I did sell on my own. Is it in car dealers DNA to rip people off?

I felt the same way until trading my Hyundai in for my mustang. every place I went to was offering me 11-12K for my car than this ford dealership gave me just under 15K in trade towards my mustang... I left satisfied.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a new one to me and I have been in to Fieros since 1980 when I collected my first story.

I have seen GM offer a buy back on individual cars but not an entire line. There may have been issues here that they may have liked to get this one carb off the road. But other than that I have never seen more than the standard recalls on the Fiero.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

That is a new one to me and I have been in to Fieros since 1980 when I collected my first story.

I have seen GM offer a buy back on individual cars but not an entire line. There may have been issues here that they may have liked to get this one carb off the road. But other than that I have never seen more than the standard recalls on the Fiero.

GM may have wanted to buy back a car for further testing (related to brake or the heat shield recall, etc)...
THE REAL Fieronut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE REAL FieronutSend a Private Message to THE REAL FieronutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This story is in 2 parts, so read on down... http://forum.studebakerdriv...ight=wheeler+dealers

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by THE REAL Fieronut (edited 05-27-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, we seem to be getting a bit off track. Let me put down the facts and fill in some of the blanks.
1. I owned a 1984 Fiero I purchased new (in Michigan).
2. I went shopping for a car, there were no recall notices received by me.
3. I dealt with GM corporate, concerning the buy back, Not the local dealer.
4. I received the voucher directly from Corporate headquarters – Fedex
5. The voucher was good at any GM dealership

My Background:
Owned a medical products design & manufacturing business for 10 years which I sold in 1987. Entered MBA program at UT Austin in 1987 finished in 1990 with concentrations in Marketing & Management and post grad work in Advertising. I was offered a Phd with a stipend. As a business owner, a MBA from UT/Austin, then a consultant, I think I can spot a scam. So let’s take that off of the table.

Other things we know
1984 had problems because of the oil dipstick issue that created a potential for fires. That in turn gave Fiero’s some negative press. (About 3 months ago I was telling a guy I owned some Fiero’s and his remark after that was, “Don’t those catch on fire?”)

As I alluded to in my original post this seems to be a narrow focus on 1984 Fiero’s. It was probably done to reduce some of the negative word-of-mouth the cars were getting. Even if they had stopped making Fiero’s by 1990, the problem was still fresh in people’s minds(and apparently lingers even today). That kind of thing tends to tarnish the whole brand. When bringing back a smaller sporty car Pontiac did NOT bring back the Fiero name. They used “Solstice”. To me, that is ironic.

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the first time anyone has said anything about a buy-back from GM. I had an '84. I think this may have been a unique case and maybe had more to do with GM wanting a Fiero for another reason, other than to get them off the road.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

This is the first time anyone has said anything about a buy-back from GM. I had an '84. I think this may have been a unique case and maybe had more to do with GM wanting a Fiero for another reason, other than to get them off the road.

The topic title says this "GM's Buy-back program for Fiero's back in the '90's"

As I also said there was no letter of recall, I went in to get a car and when I did so, I was informed of the buy-back. This happened in the summer of 1990. If you did not attempt to get a new car in that time frame from a GM dealer AND have a Fiero to trade in there may have been no reason for you to be aware of it. I will also say this, a local dealer is not going to give you more than the invoiced price for a set of tires.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 05-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As I also said there was no letter of recall, I went in to get a car and when I did so, I was informed of the buy-back. This happened in the summer of 1990. If you did not attempt to get a new car in that time frame from a GM dealer AND have a Fiero to trade in there may have been no reason for you to be aware of it. I will also say this, a local dealer is not going to give you more than the invoiced price for a set of tires.

You are the only person that has ever mentioned a "buy-back". I am skeptical. I have been involved with Fieros for quite some time (including fiero.org mailing list) and this is the first time something like this was ever mentioned.

I also threw out the idea that GM may have purchased Fieros as part of a recall investigation. I didn't say it was because of a recall. GM may have wanted to look at vehicles that have been in service. The dealer may have seen a corporate memo about buying back certain vehicles and passed that info on to you. I am not saying you didn't experience this, but I am saying that there is no evidence of a "Fiero Buy-Back" program...

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 05-27-2014).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got any of the old paperwork from the buy-back? It would be fun to scan it and take a look.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no doubt it happened the way you remember.

However, it's odd that with thousands of people on this board, and many with GM insider information that no one ever heard of a buy back program. I think that maybe the circumstances of your deal were not exactly as what was told to you.

...I have a theory that someone at the GM plant was dealing in cocaine or some other drug and they were about to be cornered by the Feds and stashed it into the space frame of a Fiero. They carefully wrote down the VIN hoping to grab it at the other end of the line. Somehow it slipped out the door and it took him or her 6 years to finally locate the car. Then they concocted this buy back story to tell the owner and offered him so much cash he could not refuse the offer. That scenario is the only one that makes sense to me.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no doubt it happened the way you remember.

However, it's odd that with thousands of people on this board, and many with GM insider information that no one ever heard of a buy back program. I think that maybe the circumstances of your deal were not exactly as what was told to you.

...I have a theory that someone at the GM plant was dealing in cocaine or some other drug and they were about to be cornered by the Feds and stashed it into the space frame of a Fiero. They carefully wrote down the VIN hoping to grab it at the other end of the line. Somehow it slipped out the door and it took him or her 6 years to finally locate the car. Then they concocted this buy back story to tell the owner and offered him so much cash he could not refuse the offer. That scenario is the only one that makes sense to me.

No, you are confusing my story with John DeLorean. LOL, but that story quickly breaks down because I was offered the buyback before they got the VIN number. However, I like the storyline, we could make it into a movie of this 'years long' search. Think of all the near misses and dead-ends, and in the end the car is found only to discover that the person that wrote down the numbers was dyslexic.

The interesting thing is that there are a number of things that GM has apparently kept under wraps for many, many years that are beginning to come out if you have been keeping up with the news lately about recalls that should have happened but did not. There have been major issues with a lot of cars that have not been addressed properly.

Concerning records: Who keeps papers like that for 24 years. I can understand keeping records of a car you have in your possession, but once you sell it??? The 88 T-Top I have has about an inch high stack of receipts and misc papers regarding the car but when I bought it they could not find the title, that had to be sent for.

Concerning the people on this board: How many of the thousands on this board had 1984's that they decided to trade in, in 1990. That 'thousands' quickly goes down to a handful or none at all. How many who may have insider information would be interested in a Fiero recall VS a low key buy-back? Why would it even cross someone's radar enough for them to inquire about it if it did not affect them in any way? If you know any of the insiders I would be interested in them gleaning the information because that is the reason for my post. I wanted to know how many have been taken out of circulation by the company itself. My first and second post reveal my intent for this information.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013
I just thought of something. Maybe I can check with the Texas DMV, acquire the VIN, and see if they can trace the vehicle after I traded it in. Usually they will not give out names of owners but if I can find out if it was destroyed that will be a step.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just thought of something. Maybe I can check with the Texas DMV, acquire the VIN, and see if they can trace the vehicle after I traded it in. Usually they will not give out names of owners but if I can find out if it was destroyed that will be a step.

You can find this out...but it requires a small crime to be committed, maybe a felony. You have to submit a form and verify that you have an "interest" in the car and need to locate the owner, (for example the owner owes you money for repairs or has abandoned the car on your property). If you are just curious then that would not count and you could find yourself in a bit of trouble.

I think the buy back could make an interesting chapter in the Fiero story... I believe they recalled all the 88s with power steering that slipped out, but maybe I'm misremembering that? Maybe GM tried to get all 137,000 of the 84s back and pretend like they never existed? lol

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Concerning records: Who keeps papers like that for 24 years. I can understand keeping records of a car you have in your possession, but once you sell it??? The 88 T-Top I have has about an inch high stack of receipts and misc papers regarding the car but when I bought it they could not find the title, that had to be sent for.

I guess you don't know too many horders? I still have all the paperwork for every car I've ever owned.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess you don't know too many horders? I still have all the paperwork for every car I've ever owned.

I do too... Even used cars I got as hand-me-downs from relatives. Brand NEW cars, yeah, I have everything.

I think most here are going to be skeptical until we see some scans. No way this could have been kept secret all these years. The media likes nothing better than to rub GM's nose in every mistake it makes or bungled attempt to fix them.

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I do too... Even used cars I got as hand-me-downs from relatives. Brand NEW cars, yeah, I have everything.

I think most here are going to be skeptical until we see some scans. No way this could have been kept secret all these years. The media likes nothing better than to rub GM's nose in every mistake it makes or bungled attempt to fix them.

It is not my intent on trying to make you believe anything. It is my attempt to find out how many may have been destroyed by GM. Whether anyone wants to believe that this occurred is totally irrelevant to me.

1. Of the 5 cars I have listed in my signature I only have paperwork for the T-Top. The other 4 cars came with only a title. I am the 3rd owner of the 1988 GT from Illinois The second owner was a dentist. I am sure he kept his records on patients but keeping records on a car was not that important to him apparently.

2. Your first sentence shows what is called sociological imagination; because I or my small circle does things or thinks in a certain way, it become a valid assumption that everybody does it that way, or thinks that way. That becomes the first obstacle to overcome in conflict. GM has apparently kept a LOT of secrets over the years. Look at what is beginning to come out now. That negates your thought that secrets can not be kept all these years.

People once thought the world was flat. When they were presented with the idea that it could be round they became irate because it interfered with their 'common sense' and they had never heard that before.

My initial question stands "Is there any information concerning how many Fiero's were bought back and crushed by GM?" I am not interested in any side issues and as such I will not participate in them from this point forward. You are free to discuss other issues among yourselves, but my focus is to find out how many were taken out of circulation.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2. Your first sentence shows what is called sociological imagination; because I or my small circle does things or thinks in a certain way, it become a valid assumption that everybody does it that way, or thinks that way. That becomes the first obstacle to overcome in conflict.

Yes, but you were the one who asked who keeps paperwork for 24 years.

Whatever. Its your thread; have fun with it.

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Is there any information concerning how many Fiero's were bought back and crushed by GM?"

In that case...no, no information, no evidence of such.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im a packrat of paperwork too. Not so much for cars, but everything else. Ive got manuals and receipts for tvs, VCRs and cameras I bought 30 years ago for example.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My initial question stands "Is there any information concerning how many Fiero's were bought back and crushed by GM?" I am not interested in any side issues and as such I will not participate in them from this point forward. You are free to discuss other issues among yourselves, but my focus is to find out how many were taken out of circulation.

Initial answer....No.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Im a packrat of paperwork too. Not so much for cars, but everything else. Ive got manuals and receipts for tvs, VCRs and cameras I bought 30 years ago for example.

I am a technology hoarder, I once had a 10*20 foot storage unit filled with computer stuff for so long I could not give it away. If someone would have told me when I got rid of my Fiero in 1990 then 24 years later I would own 5 of them in less than a years time I would have thought they were nuts. While I still have a LOT of computer stuff it is pretty much up to date. I almost daily use my 3) 2560*1440, 6) 1920*1200, & 4) 1680*1050 monitors. With some very nice video cards. I am building a 16*12 foot storage shed with lofts to store my new addiction, Fiero parts.

BTW, I heard that if you want to bring a vehicle into Belize it has to be pretty new.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Initial answer....No.

Thanks, I am checking with a gentleman in the Chicago area, Paul Vargyas, about this situation. He is known as Mr Fiero up there. He has owned over 100 Fiero's and is a good friend of Archie who has done 2 V8 conversions for him. I bought my White 1988 GT from him last June and drove it down here to Texas without a problem. Archie might also be a guy I need to ask as he has been intimately involved in Fiero's for quite a long time also. I am also thinking it may be hotter southern states that would have more heat issues that this may have been targeted to. I did find on another site that a GM rep did do a buy back of a car that was a problem. but that to me is a different situation.
Figero88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Figero88Send a Private Message to Figero88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you still have the VIN of the car, CARFAX or Autocheck can tell you its history after it left your hands. If you don't have the VIN, your insurance policy may be able to provide you with it.

[This message has been edited by Figero88 (edited 05-29-2014).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Figero88:

If you still have the VIN of the car, CARFAX or Autocheck can tell you its history after it left your hands. If you don't have the VIN, your insurance policy may be able to provide you with it.

Great Idea, I just called my insurance agent to see if they have the VIN from 24 years ago. They are going to get back to me. I have no paperwork on the car whatsoever. That is much quicker than going through the state DMV to get the VIN. Thanks for the idea. I have a friend that works at a Volvo dealership here I can get him to run the VIN for me.
fierodriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodriverSend a Private Message to fierodriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I sold cars for eight years, first Ford, then Subaru. We told customers stuff like that ALL the time. And it wasn't dishonest, either, since we really did want to "buy back" their old cars. In conjunction with a new-car sale of course! And sure, it was "official" from Ford, too - see the "Ford" sign out front?

Eh, I don't miss those days. It was fun when I was young, but I wouldn't want to do it my whole career.

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can believe it , my first car ( yes I know it's different ) was a 76 Mustang two. I have looked for years to see
one in a car show , no luck. However I have been told for years that Ford quietly bought them back because
they had so many problems , and were an embarrassment . So if that's true who's to say G. M . didn't do the same.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock