eBay Hacked - User Action Required! by canfirst
Started on: 05-21-2014 10:46 PM
Replies: 4 (285 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 05-22-2014 12:19 PM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an article on the news today about eBay being hacked. Some people have lost money as their PayPal accounts were linked to their personal bank accounts. Users are being notified to change their passwords when they login to their eBay account.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, no PayPal information was accessible, & only the eBay usernames & encrypted passwords were retrieved. Otherwise they would issue a request to change passwords for both eBay & PayPal.

At any rate, this couldn't come at a worse time as I made a large purchase with PayPal & now the account is 'locked' until they verify activity. I had to wait 2 business days to get he money cleared into the bank (which is bs, because it was actually 4 business days, the day of the transaction & first available day don't count as their "2 day wait"). Now it's going on a week plus.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Posted what happened to me a month ago when my eBay got hacked.
That falls in line with how far back this actually goes.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ont-explain-why.html

Originally posted by fierosound:

I think someone accessed my eBay using this. [heartbleed virus]

I'd been using my eBay around that time from my computer at work (was only saving things to "watch list").

TWO days later I'm checking my emails at home and I get a pile of emails from eBay.
The first was confirming me changing my location from Canada to United Kingdom.
The next 2 were confirming "purchases" I made in the UK and Europe ($1100 and $760).
There were a couple emails from the Sellers requesting Payment (all in a timeframe of a couple of hours).
The last was a legitimate email from eBay saying my account was compromised and locked and to call them.

Thank goodness their security program picked up this unusual activity!
I got eBay on the phone, accessed my account and got everything cleaned up.
A total of FIVE unauthorized purchases were made - eBay had already invalidated them all.

I still had to change my email, password, security questions/answers AND do the same on PayPal just to be safe.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-22-2014).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, this new issue is separate from Heart Bleed. Heart Bleed was a security hole in the ssl protocol (https), where as this is an incident with eBay's database/servers security being bypassed.

But I could be wrong.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saying, my problem may not have been the Heart Bleed virus after all.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock