Started on: 05-20-2014 08:51 AM
Replies: 22 (805 views)
Last post by: Sourmug on 05-21-2014 11:21 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw some annoying things at Pick n Pull on the weekend...

The guys prepping the cars for the yard already do enough damage draining the fluids and fork-lifting them into place. But...

On a 1984 Fiero - seats cut up to remove the headrest speakers.
Who the hell needs 30-year-old, probably dead or blown speakers that badly that they ruin seats that weren't in that bad a shape?

In a different car, another dunce removed a CD radio with a tire iron, because he didn't bring a tool box or even a screwdriver.
He ruined the dash AND broke the radio which he then discarded anyway

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The guys prepping the cars for the yard already do enough damage draining the fluids and fork-lifting them into place. But...

Who the hell needs 30-year-old, probably dead or blown speakers that badly that they ruin seats that weren't in that bad a shape?

In a different car, another dunce removed a CD radio with a tire iron, because he didn't bring a tool box or even a screwdriver.

...nothing new...

Some of the stuff I have seen people take just boggles the mind - was it really worth the effort and time to go and get a used part vs. buying a new one that you know is good and has a warranty? I can understand some of the more expensive parts, but bulbs and such?
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We were one trying to remove (trim I believe) on a mustang for my friends car, & the glass broke. We went & paid for the glass. This was at a U Pull-It.

But I've also snapped a deck lid (without keys) to get tail lights, & destroyed a dash (in a Pontiac Bonneville) to take the speakers.

I also once slipped & fell in water. But I saved the tools from getting wet!
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All true, unfortunately.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I encountered 2 guys working in a very very nice 85GT that had been turned into the Cars For Cash program. The interior was of very good quality, as was the outside. I left them to their picking and went on to another car on the lot. They were still at it when I left.

Several days later, I returned to see what I might garner from the 85, especially the seats. I found that they had stripped the seat covers and thrown the seats over on a neighboring car, the dash was broken half in two where they were attempting to get something from underneath. Most of the interior had been destroyed. Even door panels were ripped off at the bottom, folded upward and cut off so they could get the door pockets.

On any car, I always try to take things apart without destroying anything. I think the only thing I've destroyed is to cut some harness ends for a 7730 ECM and digital EGR valve. Even if that Dodge truck, Nissan Altima, or Yugo isn't a collector or rare automobile, there may be someone who needs that part. Imagine if you looked up their inventory, found they had the car you needed a part from, then after driving down to the yard, find that some retard has ripped it apart.
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've restored a lot of old cars in the last 50+ years. I ENJOY JUNKYARDS!!!

A car at the Yard will probably never drive again, but can serve in other ways. When dealing with a tricky issue, I'll sometimes go to the pick 'n pull and disassemble, examine, and even practice - mostly nondestructively. I'll also leave with a bag of small items - specialized fasteners, connectors, fittings, sensors, jets, etc. that might cost $20 at the checkout but would be a PITA to find otherwise. I took Polaroids, too - though in these smartphone days there's a better way to document assemblies, wire/hose routing, etc. In my garage today are some very old small-parts bins: MGTD, Jag140, JagS, TR2A, Alfa Veloce, Buick GN...

For me, a trip to the junkyard is like a day at Disneyland. But today I'm reviving a long-stored '88GT, and cannot find one of our lovely little cars at any of the nearby junkyards. I've been learning the hard way, with help from this forum.

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 05-20-2014).]

geezer49

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for geezer49Send a Private Message to geezer49Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

. Imagine if you looked up their inventory, found they had the car you needed a part from, then after driving down to the yard, find that some retard has ripped it apart.

Inventory? The pick-a-part I go to in Detroit can't even tell you if they have a specific model car, let alone a part. I went there a while back to see if they had a part for our other car, a PT Cruiser. they couldn't even tell me if they HAD a PT on the lot. After wandering around the Chrysler section I realized they didn't. I still had fun though, especially in their "classic" area with the hulks of 1950 Fords, an Edsel, a couple Triumphs...

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by geezer49:

Inventory? The pick-a-part I go to in Detroit can't even tell you if they have a specific model car, let alone a part. I went there a while back to see if they had a part for our other car, a PT Cruiser. they couldn't even tell me if they HAD a PT on the lot. After wandering around the Chrysler section I realized they didn't. I still had fun though, especially in their "classic" area with the hulks of 1950 Fords, an Edsel, a couple Triumphs...

Hard to keep track of stolen vehicles

I know the feeling though.....
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Hard to keep track of stolen vehicles

I know the feeling though.....

"If we don't have it, tell us where to find it and we will go get it for you!"
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to spend a few times at a

All you can carry pull. You pay a set fee usually it was 35 bucks when I went.

Now if you have never been to one of those you have to go, bring all the tools you can carry in a back pack, whatever you might need to do any kind of pull of any kind of part you might find, I always carry a cheater pipe to use when things don't come off easily as well as wire for pulling a windshield, full combo wrench set, full socket set, short and deep, vise grips, and more. I have helped people pull everything from seat to windshields and more but I think the best thing I ever help pull was a V 6 Buick engine for someone else.

2 guys had paid 35 bucks each and brought a hand truck with them, that they carried a tool box full of tools on the way in, on the way out they after several others and myself helped them pull the engine out of the engine bay and put it on their hand truck and rolled it all the way to the line where they had to physically carry whatever they got, in this case a V6 engine a few feet to another line. So they got a low mileage V6 engine for 70 bucks.

That same day I went with someone else to pull a windshield for him and a set of mags for me, we also got a nice BOSE digital radio for another friend and speaker set for his Cadillac we put it all on a hood that we dragged around and did pick up and carry the several feet. My friend paid my way that day and I got paid 50 Bucks for the radio from the other friend who wanted the radio and speakers set.

One time at one of these events I found an old rambler that had the keys in it, so just for yucks I turned the key, low and behold it started right up, so I figured the trany must be gone. put it in gear and off I went driving around the yard looking for the cars I needed parts from.

People who destroy cars in bone yards are stupid, I have seen it myself and when I do I offer to help them with the right tools if I have them, and I usually do.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-20-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The company, Pull-A-Part, catalogs every car they receive by year make and model, but not trim level. In Atlanta there are 3 yards. One can go online and check inventory or at the entrance they have computers. They don't tell what part is on the car, though. That would be almost impossible.

You can even put in a request for a particular car (Fiero) at any yard or yards and when one is placed, you receive an email and a phone call telling you which yard it's on.

But on subject, I've even replaced parts like dash trim when I've gotten a CD radio or closed the deck lid to keep out rain when I got a distributor or intake plenum. I've removed the trunk latch and left it in the trunk when I've taken the lock cylinder and key, to allow others future access without damaging the lid.
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But on subject, I've even replaced parts like dash trim when I've gotten a CD radio or closed the deck lid to keep out rain when I got a distributor or intake plenum. I've removed the trunk latch and left it in the trunk when I've taken the lock cylinder and key, to allow others future access without damaging the lid.

I do the same , I try to take care when taking parts off. After all it's not my car , and the next guy may need the parts ( I may be the next guy )
that I leave behind. I even try to leave the car weather tight if possible as to not ruin any interior parts.
I don't see many in pic a parts , so I don't want to waste them.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the wrecking yard I go to, some jerk came along and smashed the sunroof of a Fiero for no reason, of course, the entire interior is ruined.

It's pretty depressing knowing that every car in that lot was once brand new, sitting on a lot, waiting for an owner. Now they're left to die.
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see stuff like this all the time at the u-pull-its around here. I've been looking for a fastback decklid for over almost 2 years, found four in the yards but all had been pried open, destroying the decklid and tail lights .
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, it's completely frustrating to see.

Did you find a harness?

Nolan
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2014 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pick Your Part here recycles a lot of cars a year, their only in the yard 3 weeks to 2 months at the most. So I've never felt too bad about destroying things to get what I wanted. One time when Fieros were common at this place I clamped a vicegrip on the side window and gave it a good yank in order to get to the bolts that hold the side mirror.
This is a heavy Mexican place. As new arrivals are set out a horde of them go over it, I'm not sure what for but one thing they do is pull the corners up of the rear seats looking for change.
On a Buick Reatta they have a lot of wires going to the computer thing in the dash and some Mexican had gone to the trouble of cutting all those wires out to sell the copper.
I see Mexicans removing good tires from the rims, I'm sure they work for used tire stores around here, that makes sense.
This place has a 1/2 price day once a month and I used to go all the time and I stockpiled a lot of Vega parts as I knew they wouldn't be available forever and I thought I would have Vegas until well into my old age, that turned out to be money wasted.
There was a guy with a big rig truck and he had a arrangement with Pick Your Part where he would get what he thought were good engines and trans and sell them in Mexico.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Imagine if you looked up their inventory, found they had the car you needed a part from, then after driving down to the yard, find that some retard has ripped it apart.

Happens here all the time BUT the people doing it are trolling the yards for stuff they can sell at flea markets, eBay, etc. - they don't even NEED OR USE the part, just hope to sell it. Meanwhile, guys that actually need the parts can't get them.

I've been looking for a 300ZX driver seat - found FIVE. Drove all over only to find ALL OF THEM had the power controls missing and the wiring harnesses cut ! 2 days and $30 in expenses down the drain.

Originally posted by notaguru:

I've restored a lot of old cars in the last 50+ years. I ENJOY JUNKYARDS!!!

For me, a trip to the junkyard is like a day at Disneyland.

I used to feel that way but that's not the way it is in hell-A. People too stupid to have a real job, troll the yards ripping stuff apart for things to sell and make a few bucks .

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-21-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Did you find a harness?

Nolan

Still looking. I sent an email inquiry to Fiero Factory yesterday.

(looking for 84 engine harness to ECM with A/C and auto - anyone?)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-21-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favorite salvage yard is LKQ. It's a running joke with my family, friends and co-workers because I call it The Happiest Place On Earth. It costs two bucks to get in and it's a bargain because it helps them keep prices low. This weekend it'll have a half-price sale, as it does every holiday weekend. I've bought several engines, transmissions and other large parts during the holiday sales over the years, including two Quad 4s and even a set of Fiero doors with all power options, switches and wiring harness included.

When I go I count on being there at least an hour, because I like to browse. The longest I've ever spent there in one day was six hours, when my son and I pulled an engine. We learned a lot of lessons that day.

I'm a little bummed because of what happened last week. I purchased a sunroof and panel and seats from a Fiero there a couple months ago, and saved all the interior parts by stashing them in another car. They weren't parts I really needed, but were in good shape so I figured I'd hide them until the half-price sale this weekend. When I checked the yard on Friday my hiding place had been sent to the crusher. I think I missed it by about an hour. There was a good dash, an unbroken console skeleton,plastic trim, seat belts, power window/mirror harness and switches, everything. Makes me sad to know they were just crushed or shredded.

I've seen the "work" left behind by lazy shoppers who damaged a part because it was in the way of the part they were after. But I've also found the exact part I was looking for sitting on the ground or on top of another car. I'm a good junkyard citizen; I never just rip a part out to get access to what I'm after, I remove the unneeded parts and set them aside for the next guy (or gal). As other commenters have noted, it's a great way to practice before attempting it on your own car.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Did you find a harness?

Nolan

Still looking. I sent an email inquiry to Fiero Factory yesterday.
(looking for 84 engine harness to ECM with A/C and auto - anyone?)

Fiero Factory wants $300 + shipping/handling.

I know that can't be NEW ...
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I priced a fender, tail light, and door skin, if I remember correctly, at Fiero Factory. I felt that they were quite proud of their parts.

PFF
System Bot
Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got real lucky 2 weekends ago, found a 87 GT that was only missing the tail lights (minor wreck to front pass side, car was labeled "drove in"). All the pieces I took are in excellent condition they are; the GT rear roof and body panel minus sail windows, deck lid with wing. bumper, SS vacuum lines, sunroof, headliner and firewall upper interior panel. ran out of money at this point..
Went back the last weekend to get more and found that about the only thing good left was the complete GT main gauge cluster, someone took yet another tire iron as a tool to remove the remote gauge pod, destroying the faceplates, radio, environment control, the trim panel, gear selector bracket and the elusive skeleton for the center console assembly.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, pricey considering the number of 84's that were made. did you try posting a "Want to Buy" thread in the mall?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock