Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Possible new gauges (overlays) for the Fiero. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Possible new gauges (overlays) for the Fiero. by JohnWPB
Started on: 05-19-2014 04:52 AM
Replies: 51 (2824 views)
Last post by: Australian on 05-15-2021 03:53 AM
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Guess this is never going to happen

I believe this is still in the cards for John to do...But I think he is trying to concentrate all his time with MAACO fixing the royal screw up that they did to his Fiero at the moment.

IP: Logged
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, what a useful & well thought out post..... and such an optimistic outlook! Kudos to you!

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:
I believe this is still in the cards for John to do...But I think he is trying to concentrate all his time with MAACO fixing the royal screw up that they did to his Fiero at the moment.

Yea, that has been a priority lately..... what a mess, but that discussion is in another thread....

At the moment, I have all of the Fiero gauges rendered into my dye cutting machine's format. I also have sourced back-lit panels for all of the stock gauges. I have been working on different materials, and trying to find a way to print / dye / transfer the images onto a thicker, more permanent material.

I have the reverse gauges pretty much sorted out. Such as white or yellow gauges with black or dark lettering. The light is Ok to bleed through the background on these, as you want to see the color back lit. It is the dark faced gauges that I am having a problem with light bleeding through the background. Typically on a black gauge, you want the light just to illuminate the lettering, tick marks and such.

This project is not dead yet, but just being worked on in my spare time, and testing different ways to do it.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-11-2014).]

Daleford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John.Glad to see this thread for 2 reasons. I spend my winters in WPBeach , and I need to fix my dash cluster that has developed some problems. I bought the Black gauge kit with Ferr@ri emblems from J. Brian Riley when he was in business. are you familiar with his products. [I can't find him now] the tach is OK but the speedo overlay has hairline cracks that let the light show through.
When you get this up and running I will probably be a customer.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is pretty cool John! Updates on the project?
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates .... or selling these ....I'm in need of overlays in metric KPH
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a custom job when he's ready to take requests
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Sorry, I am still working on an answer. I am trying to find a way to make the tick marks, other than drawing each one by hand. I am going to need some sort of script or way to automate the process.

I don't think it would be as simple as rotating the gauge 2 MPH or whatever. It would have to adjust each MPH mark whatever % difference in speed the new diameter changes it cumulatively for each MPH increase. Basically, if your tire puts you off 4%, at 100 MPH that's 4 MPH off, 75 your 3 MPH off, 50 your 2 MPH off and 25 your only 1 MPH off. Right? At least that's how the tire guy explained it to me.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah its a shame. I really liked those carbon fiber overlays.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2015 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I forgot all about this.... I never intended to leave anyone hanging with this. I just never found a good enough solution that would work well.

I have the ability to print the gauges on anything that will go through a laser or ink jet printer. The problem is, any of that material I have tried lets light bleed through what is supposed to be dark area's. For this to work, it would somehow have to be silk screened or some other technique that would absolutely block all light in areas, other than the tick marks and numbers.
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump....John, did you give up on this?
88Soarin2.5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2021 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Soarin2.5Send a Private Message to 88Soarin2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnWPB, I know it's about a good 4-5 years since last update. Was curious about an update, I am kinda new to the community and I've had my Fiero since 3/23/2021. I had come across some cluster gauge overlays and I have been wanting some now for my Fiero, I know that I cannot be the only one interested by reading through all of these comments. Was there any further success with your project? Do you think you'd be able to take another jab at it? Keep us updated, would like to hear further
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ausfiero had guage overlays and you could download the files from his web site a couple of decades ago feeling old now. Jim are you around tbh he has done so much for community without reward as kept it all going as long as possible.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-15-2021).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock