Fiero named one of the worst Indy 500 pace cars by tucson86fiero
Started on: 05-18-2014 02:58 PM
Replies: 10 (856 views)
Last post by: geezer49 on 05-20-2014 03:15 PM
tucson86fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tucson86fieroSend a Private Message to tucson86fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This post bugs me more than it probably should:

http://roadtrippers.kinja.c...-cars-1004038520/all

"Where to start with the Fiero? The production car certainly had its issues, but is, admittedly, somewhat endearing. The pace car did set some records as being the shortest and only mid-engine to pace the race. Kudos for that. But the ’84 Indy Fiero feels like a bait and switch when you find out the production car has about 40 less HP and may catch fire in your driveway."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bugs me too.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great another "They catch fire" person. More Lamborghinis have caught fire than Fieros. More Chevy Cruzes have caught fire than Fieros.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012...ire-hazard.html?_r=0

Apparently the new Chevy SS Catches on Fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGD-jj6u8Uc
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I bugs me a bit more than it should too. I think the saving grace that obviously this author forgot to mention though (and seemed to rather focus on incorrect HP differences) is the glaring fact that the '84 Fiero beat the new C4 Corvette to the deal. It must have been a real slap in the face for the Chevrolet division to see their newest model flagship sports car beaten by the Pontiac divisions' Fiero "econo-box," and what likely contributed ever more to initial Fiero sales to see a new Pontiac sports coupe pacing the 1984 Indianapolis 500. I think that fact alone really makes it one of the more intriguing vehicles to pace the Indy 500 throughout history.

... and speaking of Corvette, I'm sorry, but this horrid excuse for a pace car get's my vote for one of the worst Indy 500 pace cars made. Now the C5 Corvette is a great all-around car and obviously this car did not need much - if anything - to make it worthy of pacing duty, but I don't know what Chevrolet was thinking when they came up with this purple and yellow paint scheme. It's like looking at a car that paced the Barnum and Bailey Circus rather than a race. I feel even the purple and white on the prior C4 was a better scheme than this car.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heh. They obviously forgot this one...
http://roadtrippers.kinja.c...e-most-in-1578170322

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-18-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't let it bother you, consider the ignorant source. The first Corvettes had a boat anchor inline 6 and an oxcart suspension. Stories like this keep our cars affordable.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the plus side though, idiots who write stuff like this help keep the price down so we can collect even more fiero's Of course, it does not help if you try and sell yours...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"But the ’84 Indy Fiero feels like a bait and switch when you find out the production car has about 40 less HP..."

I can agree with that. The 2000 sold to the public only looked like the Pace Car.
The Pace Car was extensively reworked from a production Fiero to make it perform.
Besides the SD4 engine it had F-body brakes and host of other changes.

GM definitely cheaped out on the SD4 engine and 16" Centerline wheels for the production model.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-19-2014).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's not forget John Callies discussion at the 25th and 30th. The SD4 was in development while the '84 was in production. In fact, after blowing up a stock transmission in January of '84 on the IMS during a trial run, it was clear that a new tranny setup was necessary with the added hp. The best Pontiac could have done was offered a detuned version in the '86 model year and frankly that would have been pushing it. That is one of the reasons that you could get the SD4 and parts through the dealership later on.

I do think that the article is ignorant, but I think by now we are used to that.

No worries.
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always loved the Dodge M4S Indy Pace Car

geezer49

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for geezer49Send a Private Message to geezer49Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Great another "They catch fire" person. More Lamborghinis have caught fire than Fieros. More Chevy Cruzes have caught fire than Fieros.

Reminds me of a clip on the local TV news a couple years ago. It must have been a slow news day and they showed a "viewer video" of a Chevy SUV going up in flames at a local gas station.
The front of the SUV was a ball of fire but the back wasn't burning, in fact, you could clearly see the spare tire cover proudly proclaiming "BLAZER".. Oddly no one at the news channel mentioned the irony...

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock