Cradle drop without hoist. by 87FieroSport
Started on: 05-14-2014 10:50 PM
Replies: 9 (561 views)
Last post by: 87FieroSport on 05-17-2014 08:36 AM
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2.8V6 Auto, I believe the transmission has finally crapped.

I replaced the Coil connector today, ran fine. I then went to replace the TV Cable - Adjusted it multiple times.
First was 2 inches or so sticking out when pulled to WOT... Tested, No.

Re-adjusted, Tested.. No...

It feels like it's Short-stacked (Goes through all the gears at a very low RPM) with the TV cable.
I cannot find the right adjustment at all..

I've pulled a cradle or two before
I don't have an engine hoist, could I:

Jack up the Fiero on blocks (Placed before the cradle, Loosen and disconnect it all first)
Gradually increase blocks per corner until desired height (Cradle stays on ground on a dolly)

Would that work? I don't mind stripping the top of the engine. I can get that done in 20 minutes.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't need a hoist. Many people put a 4x4 across just in front of the forward cradle bolts, and use that as a jacking point to raise the car. Just need a standard floor jack. I've never done it that way, but I'm sure others can elaborate.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. 4x4 and a decent sized floor jack(that can go, say, 21" high). make a dolly for the cradle. 4x4 just ahead of the front cradle bolts. jack it up, leaving the engine/cradle on the dolly/floor. Pull it out through one of the wheel wells. Be careful!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what we did :

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's really close to the center of gravity of the car. When I've tried it, the front wanted to come off the ground instead of the back.
Just something to be aware of.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done it the 4x4 long ways across the car way. Having a dolly or pallet jack to move the cradle assembly out when the car is up in the air helps tremendously. Some people use a cherry picker and let everything sit on it's legs. You can reduce the amount of height you need to raise the car a small bit by removing the intake plenum. I wouldn't dig into the engine deeper than that. That saves a few inches or so. Some people have had to remove the front fascia if they have an aero nose but you shouldn't have to if you do the above to save a few inches of raise.
87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill take the whole intake off down to the LIM.

I just need to figure this out.. I've dropped cradles before using a hoist.

Just need to do the finicky cradle bolts... Oh joy.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With hoists as cheap as they are at Harbor Freight, I'm wondering why you don't just get one. Their fold-up model only takes up a 2x2 foot space in the garage when not in use.
Here's some pics of when I had to drop the cradle on my 88 t-top coupe, just to change the throw-out bearing (a lot of trouble for a cheap part).

------------------

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Jacking to Clear Engine

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a hoist.

Now it's just a matter of finding the 4T60 brackets
And the correct gov cap.

No yards local to me has older Gm's

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay