Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Jscott1 Indy #1578.... Indy fans, I think you will like this. (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Jscott1 Indy #1578.... Indy fans, I think you will like this. by jscott1
Started on: 05-13-2014 10:38 PM
Replies: 54 (1957 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-12-2016 10:28 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After nearly 10 years of working on Indy #623 I more or less gave up.

It was my vision to make it my daily driver, but even though "all it needed was an alternator" many, many parts and build threads later it was still not reliable transportation.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-1-042082.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-051917.html

and multiple fires

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-066985.html

Here's the good news... I am now the Proud owner of Indy #1578

For those keeping track this Indy used to belong to Maryjane and before that CenTexIndy.

The east Texas sun has taken it's toll on the paint and it's not as nice as it appears in the photos, but it's waaaay nicer than Indy #623. And there are dozens of minor issues, but nothing that prevents me from driving it. And it will be a driver, and not a garage queen.

Welcome to the Family....Proud-4

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-14-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! I was wondering who bought it form Don.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what happened with #623?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks BlackThunderGT

I still have #623 and I am torn between

a) selling as-is

b) continuing the decade long task of making it a running driving car, or

c) parting it out.

d) none of the above

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-13-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sell it.
It'll be a drain on time and money from #1578. Let someone else have a whack at it. I wouldn't part out any Indy that was savable.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Sell it.
It'll be a drain on time and money from #1578. Let someone else have a whack at it. I wouldn't part out any Indy that was savable.

Yeah, selling it as-is would be the smartest thing.

I'm not really thinking of parting it out...

right now it's just sitting, (option d) but there are a handful of parts on it that are nicer that would easily slip over to #1578....

So that's more of a cannibalistic thing...

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-13-2014).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats. Looks sharp.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you Indy drivers forgot to tell me about the "sticker effect" After one day of driving it, I discovered that it draws a LOT of attention. First fill up and a guy came over and admired it. Of course he knew someone that had a Fiero and wanted to reminisce.

On the highway, a group of teens pulled up beside me and were gawking at it.
Slow91GP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow91GPSend a Private Message to Slow91GPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get a lot of nods of approval in mine at red lights, I love it! Good luck with this one, hopefully it treats you better.

------------------
1991 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - 136,000mi
1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy - 72,000mi

Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive been there also with my indy as well - "all it needs is an alternator" .

Had the exact same thing happen to #71 when i first bought it. Turned out it need ALOT more work.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

As for your previous indy; I echo what others say about your first one.. keep or sale as is.. don't part it out. To few remain that are salvageable.

As for folks stoping and catching looks.. yep they do that.

[This message has been edited by Spaxspore (edited 05-14-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Slow91GP and Spaxspore!

Okay everyone relax... parting out Indy #623 is not an option.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-14-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad it found a new home, and it's someone deserving of it, especially considering all the years you have supported the Texas Fiero community, and made so many contributions to PFF.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I'm glad it found a new home, and it's someone deserving of it, especially considering all the years you have supported the Texas Fiero community, and made so many contributions to PFF.

Thanks Don!!

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see the Indy went to a new owner that will enjoy the car and bring life back to it. Looks good and will have to check it out when I come down that way here shortly....

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
#623 = father and son total ground up rebuild. (he WILL be driving soon or whenever the #623 is running good)

Don must be getting older and letting them slip away .....

So now no reasons NOT to have it(and you) @ RRR this year....right?!?!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

#623 = father and son total ground up rebuild. (he WILL be driving soon or whenever the #623 is running good)

Oh I'll be at RRR, unless there is a hurricane or something.

Yes my son will be driving soon. I am going to attempt the parent taught system despite everyone telling me that's a bad idea.

my Boss caught me driving the Indy into work today.

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Indy's intimate me. I like to change things up, but man do I also enjoy reading the rebuild threads of this type of Fiero. Awesome find!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

c) parting it out.

nix nix
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It couldn't have gone to a better Fiero enthusiast! You gonna do an engine swap?
Don said in another thread that he has another Fiero to let go of, but I don't recall what it is.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to replace the altenator in the silver 86 I had. Wasn't to bad of a job. If you need a hand I am around 30 min from you.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

It couldn't have gone to a better Fiero enthusiast! You gonna do an engine swap?
Don said in another thread that he has another Fiero to let go of, but I don't recall what it is.

An Indy

Thanks Joe, but the joke is I changed the alternator years ago, but #623 needed a lot more than that.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

An Indy

Thanks Joe, but the joke is I changed the alternator years ago, but #623 needed a lot more than that.

Oops!
Spaxspore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

An Indy

Exactly.. i bet we both wished it was just the alternator. Its a labor of love though.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the "new" Indy! I know all about fixing an Indy that's been sitting a while...

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took this second picture of your car Oct. 10, 2004 in Kerrville, Tx. CenTex sent me the upper picture to use as a Desktop. You were in Proud-2 that weekend.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 05-17-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks... it's kind of weird seeing picture of your car before you owned it. Kind of like seeing pictures of your wife with her previous boyfriends....creepy and weird but at the same time I can't look away.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks... it's kind of weird seeing picture of your car before you owned it. Kind of like seeing pictures of your wife with her previous boyfriends....creepy and weird but at the same time I can't look away.

Let me help ya out with that creepy feeling.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let me help ya out with that creepy feeling.

Thanks... if only your house was a little higher you could put a full garage under there.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Tried to fill the a/c the other day but no-go. Performed some trouble shooting to reveal that the pressure cycling switch was not closing. I went and grabbed the one off of Indy #623 and voilà the compressor kicks on and sucks in the refrigerant and I have cold air. Who knows for how long but let's hope it's manageable. I've been feeding the leak on Proud-2 for 12 years now.

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have guages and a vaccume pump J man if you need them
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had it leak checked 2-3 times at the local shop, and they could never find the leak. A charge usually lasted about 30-40 days.
Coolant could use a flush or at least replacing--never had any problem with it running hot tho.
Pretty sure I just topped it off with water when I got it started for you to pick it up.
I have a new poly dogbone for it somewhere--I'll have to find it tho.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-18-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had it leak checked 2-3 times at the local shop, and they could never find the leak. A charge usually lasted about 30-40 days.
Coolant could use a flush or at least replacing--never had any problem with it running hot tho.
Pretty sure I just topped it off with water when I got it started for you to pick it up.
I have a new poly dogbone for it somewhere--I'll have to find it tho.

Thanks for the heads up.... 30-40 days is a bit faster than I would have hoped... but if I keep topping it off with refrigerant with dye the leak should become really obvious I would hope? Unless it's hidden somewhere where it can't be seen. I have gauges too. Just put the adapter on the back so that I can see what the high side is doing. I have a vacuum pump around here somewhere as well. I need to be able to fix these a/c systems myself otherwise it's way too expensive.

I just noticed today the dogbone didn't look entirely fresh but the engine is running so smooth the dogbone is not really doing much.

I need to put on an O2 sensor before I do too much more. It's running in open loop and using more gas than I would like, but more importantly it's setting the check engine light which I would rather not see.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the heads up.... 30-40 days is a bit faster than I would have hoped... but if I keep topping it off with refrigerant with dye the leak should become really obvious I would hope? Unless it's hidden somewhere where it can't be seen. I have gauges too. Just put the adapter on the back so that I can see what the high side is doing. I have a vacuum pump around here somewhere as well. I need to be able to fix these a/c systems myself otherwise it's way too expensive.

I just noticed today the dogbone didn't look entirely fresh but the engine is running so smooth the dogbone is not really doing much.

I need to put on an O2 sensor before I do too much more. It's running in open loop and using more gas than I would like, but more importantly it's setting the check engine light which I would rather not see.

If you can't find the dye on the line fittings, then think evaporator core. If there is florescent dye in the system, drive it in the dark some, then check the dripping water in your drive way with a black light.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 05-19-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

If you can't find the dye on the line fittings, then think evaporator core. If there is florescent dye in the system, drive it in the dark some, then check the dripping water in your drive way with a black light.

thanks I never thought to do that before.

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats JScott!... hope you enjoy yer new ride...

When you gonna chop it, drop a caddy motor in, and put some bling wheels on?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Congrats JScott!... hope you enjoy yer new ride...

When you gonna chop it, drop a caddy motor in, and put some bling wheels on?

Thanks!

But been there, done that...got the t-shirt.

I'm going for a bone stock look, but I've got a vented brake upgrade kit and Eibach lowering springs on-order ... safety and handling requires that I bring certain aspects into the 21st Century.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my plates for the indy today:

Two things to note for Texas residents...

1) the generic personalized plates don't exist anymore. You either have to go through www.myplates.com or personalize one of the existing specialty plates.

2) The good news is that "Classic Auto" plates are now available at no additional cost. You don't get any benefits like "antique" but at least you don't have to pay the price for specialty plates on top of the personalized fee.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-31-2014).]

revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the differance between Classic and antique plates?
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Score JScott. Can't wait to see it at the next gathering.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

What is the differance between Classic and antique plates?

Antique are special plates that are good for 5 years, and no inspection required and cost about $50 but come with restrictions that you are only supposed to drive to shows, parades, and events of public interest.

Classic cost the same as regular plates and give you no special privileges other than they are only issued to cars 25 years or older but you can daily drive them to work or school without being worried. They used to charge extra for them, but now they are available at no extra cost. So all Fiero owners can switch to Classic at any time for no extra charge.

I just picked Classic because it's way cheaper than going through Myplates.com

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-31-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay