fiero frame scrap price? by nickbrown
Started on: 05-09-2014 08:45 PM
Replies: 32 (1221 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 09-26-2020 04:03 PM
nickbrown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-09-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickbrownSend a Private Message to nickbrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how much does the frame weigh? and what is the scrap value.

[This message has been edited by nickbrown (edited 05-09-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Value... depends.
Weight is reported as ~700 lbs.
nickbrown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-09-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nickbrownSend a Private Message to nickbrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is it steel or iron?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steel of some sort.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm told that scrap steel is going for $8 per 100 pounds so that would be $56.... hardly worth hauling it to the scrap yard.

If you have the entire car you might get something in the $150 to $200 range for scrap.

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last summer I got $176 for this shell after removing the wheels. I don't remember what scrap value was and the bottom of the engine and auto transmission were still in the car.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent a completely stripped space frame to the junkyard and got about $60 for scrap value. Problem was it cost $65 to rent the trailer to get it there and it had to be cut up to fit in. It was quite the experience.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MulletproofMonk and Jfrost confirmed what I said earlier. A completely stripped Fiero space frame is worth about $60 and a mostly complete Fiero is worth $175 for scrap.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a junked 84 for 250 and like a good boy I was going to black tag it. It would have cost $250!!! I didn't tag it. Will a salvage yard take a "salvaged" car without a title? At what point is a car not a car but a clump of steel?

------------------
Goody

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

Will a salvage yard take a "salvaged" car without a title? At what point is a car not a car but a clump of steel?

I don't know for sure, but most scrapyards want a title for a scrap car. Texas has a loophole that helps....Here you can get an "Unrepairable Vehicle Title" that only costs $10 so you can take it to the scrapyard without issue. Your mileage may vary.

You would have to cut up a space frame in pretty small parts before it no longer resembled a car.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-10-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I scrapped a Fiero after stripping all the good stuff off of it. I called the junk yard, they sent out a flatbed tow truck to pick it up, and cut me a check for $150. (The scrap yard owns the tow truck, and the driver works there, so there is no overhead for them to send out the truck) I did not have the title for the car. What I did was call the Sheriff's Office and had them run the VIN before I picked it up to confirm that it was legit and not reported stolen at some time in it's past. I informed the junk yard of this, and they had me sign a waver. They then had to keep the car in a side lot for a short time till their paperwork cleared.

Moral of the story:

1. Call someone to pick it up, they will pay you
2. In most cases you do not need a title
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At what point is a car not a car but a clump of steel?

For most yards, it just has to be cut up to the point that no one would consider trying to put it back together. Like this:

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I scrapped a Fiero after stripping all the good stuff off of it. I called the junk yard, they sent out a flatbed tow truck to pick it up, and cut me a check for $150. (The scrap yard owns the tow truck, and the driver works there, so there is no overhead for them to send out the truck) I did not have the title for the car. What I did was call the Sheriff's Office and had them run the VIN before I picked it up to confirm that it was legit and not reported stolen at some time in it's past. I informed the junk yard of this, and they had me sign a waver. They then had to keep the car in a side lot for a short time till their paperwork cleared.

Moral of the story:

1. Call someone to pick it up, they will pay you
2. In most cases you do not need a title

Ayup, I was at a bone yard picking up a alternator for something else I am working on and know the guy fairly well as I go there a lot and asked him what he would give me for the dodge mini van I have just gotten for free?

he explained it fairly well for those thinking of scrapping the cars, I knew about everything he was talking about ahead of time. first a bone yard, recycling center, pick a part lot doesn't always need a title for their cars depending on age and other factors, like the state you live in, here in Maine a car only needs a title for 15 years after that a bill of sale is all that's needed.
next it depends on the miles they have to travel to pickup the vehicle, gas ain't cheap no days and he figured to get to my place and back he would have 35 bucks in gas just going to my place and back so subtract that from whatever they can get for steel after they strip all the resalable parts off, remember even if it has a lot of sellable parts he has to hold onto those parts for a lot of time before someone wants them.

So he offered me 200 bucks for a dodge caravan and I thought that was reasonable as I would have to do nothing but hold my hand out for the cash and paid nothing for the car. I already took the AM/FM cassette player out as it still worked and the cassette player in my dodge ram of the same years cassette is not working. I also took the solid steel antennae off as they are great for getting into locked cars when you lock your keys in. as well as if you ride a motorcycle they are easy to slip in under the seat for when dogs chase you.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the Guru's idea the best. Around here, we have several places that will "Pick up that junk car for free". It would only be my guess they would require the same paperwork.

Then, there is the other option and that is to restore it like I am my 87. I would make the Esprit my daily driver with just a GM 3800 in it and leave my 87 for my weekend trouble maker. There seems to be some kind of je ne sais quoi to having 2 Fieros--one a notch back and the other a GT.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Here is my donor car I will either scrap or rebuild. I've seen worse and certainly better.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is definitely one of those "your mileage may vary" topics. Is states where titles are not needed for old cars you have more leeway. Here in Texas they are getting more strict on titles not less. They are forcing people to title cars in 20 working days or the fines start piling up. So an old car you've had sitting around can never be titled in your name without a bill of sale and a signed title dated within 20 working days. Or they start charging $25 a month.

I called around and there are some places here that will come out to get a scrap car without a title but they won't pay any cash with no title.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Cash on the spot!"

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I expect it is just another way for the government to squeeze more money out of us. Oddly enough, when I was visiting with the tag agent, she said if I waited until August it would only cost $150--I have no idea why or what she said as I was still stunned by the idea of paying $250. But now get this: When I tag my 87 it will only cost 22.50 because it came from out-of-state and the last tag date is irrelevant! Because the notch back was purchased in-state I have to catch up on all the back tags.

So, now this brings up another question: At what point is a Fiero frame junk. It seems to me the passion we have for these cars would make it difficult to throw away something that could maybe hold an engine. I suppose it comes down to how much money you want to spend on it--and what the neighbors are thinking.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, now this brings up another question: At what point is a Fiero frame junk/

Yes on the Government squeezing more money. Used to be that you could just take in a signed title here and get a tag....not anymore. They want you to pay $25 a month...up to $250 to catch up. Even if the car has been sitting in your backyard. It's just a way to extract more money out of us.

And some day scrap Fiero frames will be hard to find. Maybe not in my lifetime so I'm not banking on it. But unlike classic muscle cars or even a model T I don't think there will be a market for reproduction frames. So when they are all gone they are just gone. But maybe by then the 3D printers will be able to just print one out of aluminum!

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate this entire conversation. Pictures & all!
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Yes on the Government squeezing more money. Used to be that you could just take in a signed title here and get a tag....not anymore. They want you to pay $25 a month...up to $250 to catch up. Even if the car has been sitting in your backyard. It's just a way to extract more money out of us.

In KY you can register a car as inoperable. By doing so, it doesn't need plates and it isn't subject to personal property taxes, so you can hold onto the car almost indefinitely for free. Then when the car is ready to get put back on the road you can go and register it as operable again (no inspection required and no fee), show proof of insurance, get plates, and be on your way. I have used it a few times.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, now this brings up another question: At what point is a Fiero frame junk.

Whenever the repair exceeds your desire to fix it, your desire to give it another owner, or your willingness to keep looking at it.

Its different for everyone... for example our good friends to the north are much more willing to spend time/effort repairing a rusty spaceframe. If it has rust holes, I normally send it to the scrap yard and get another one, but a rust free chassis is much easier to find in KY and south.

The chassis that I cut up and put in the back of the truck was rust free, but was sandwiched in a wreck so the front and rear portions of the frame were pushed in about 6" or so. I kept all the good stuff and the parts I needed, then cut of the rest.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-11-2014).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen numerous responses from no2pencil and it seems to crave social confrontation. Though it appears most are wiser (then I) to do anything but ignore his presence. Perhaps it is lead in the pencil he lacks?

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Whenever the repair exceeds your desire to fix it, your desire to give it another owner, or your willingness to keep looking at it.

This says a lot. I think I'll take what I learn on my 87 and perhaps apply it to my 84. I just can't bring myself to cut it up and melt it down.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This says a lot. I think I'll take what I learn on my 87 and perhaps apply it to my 84. I just can't bring myself to cut it up and melt it down.

Another thing to think about the Fiero Superstructure/frame is that when someone gets in an accident sometime we need frame sections that are not available anywhere else but from a bare frame/superstructure so I could never bring myself to junking one, hell our first 84 is still out back as a parts car for the 86. I had someone who wanted to make a sand rail out of it and I just couldn't do it. some of you others might, I just can't.

But think about what I just said, there were only so many made and so many frames and when one of us gets in an accident and needs frame sections to repair a good one we need to have some available. when I was at the bone yard Friday I asked him if he had any and he said no, last time I was there he did but had sold all the parts he thought he could and had scrapped it for steel price.

Steve
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen numerous responses from no2pencil and it seems to crave social confrontation. Though it appears most are wiser (then I) to do anything but ignore his presence. Perhaps it is lead in the pencil he lacks?

Hrm... I didn't mean for confrontation. What I'm trying to say is that on one hand I can't bear the though of scrapping a fiero in any shape (even bare bones, there are topics here where people take it to that level for a rebuild), & on the other hand keeping it & getting charged.

Photos of fieros to be scraped are just depressing. Thus my comment. I don't like anything about this topic! It's bad ontop of bad. I'm not looking for confrontation.

I just can't bring myself to cut it up and melt it down.
My point exactly! There, now I'm agreeing with you.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 05-11-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In KY you can register a car as inoperable. By doing so, it doesn't need plates and it isn't subject to personal property taxes, so you can hold onto the car almost indefinitely for free. Then when the car is ready to get put back on the road you can go and register it as operable again (no inspection required and no fee), show proof of insurance, get plates, and be on your way. I have used it a few times.

It works nearly the same in Texas. You can title an inoperable car with no problem, doesn't need plates, and you don't even have to register it. When it's running, then you register it and you are on your way. But you WILL pay the tax on it up front. That's the key.

What's changed is that you can't just tuck the signed title in your pocket and transfer it years later into your name without being stuck with a $250 fine for deferred title transfer (i.e. for not paying the tax when you were supposed to). For a nice Fiero that's not too painful, but it totally removes any value from a scrap Fiero.

The good news is that there is no tax on a Fiero anymore. They are worthless as far as the state goes. So if you get a parts car here with a title bite the bullet and pay the $33 for a title transfer, otherwise the car will be economically unaffordable to title in the future.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-12-2014).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
What's changed is that you can't just tuck the signed title in your pocket and transfer it years later into your name without being stuck with a $250 fine for deferred title transfer (i.e. for not paying the tax when you were supposed to). For a nice Fiero that's not too painful, but it totally removes any value from a scrap Fiero.

The good news is that there is no tax on a Fiero anymore. They are worthless as far as the state goes. So if you get a parts car here with a title bite the bullet and pay the $33 for a title transfer, otherwise the car will be economically unaffordable to title in the future.

I would never recommend leaving the title signed but not transferred unless it is just a parts car that you never intend to sell or try to put on the road again.

In KY where there is personal property tax due on vehicles every year (about $15 for the Fiero), I have seen it happen where the seller gets their tax bill (because the buyer didn't transfer the title) and goes to the county clerks office and asks about it. The clerk tells them that the only way they don't have to pay the tax bill is to junk the title in the system (no hard copy needed as they are the current title holder in the system), so many have the title junked. Now when the buyer takes the signed title to the county clerk to register it, the title will come up as being junked and the buyer can't register it at that point. It takes a lot of work (and cooperation on the seller's part) to restore the title from being junked in KY.

In KY, transfer the title the same day you buy it...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would never recommend leaving the title signed but not transferred unless it is just a parts car that you never intend to sell or try to put on the road again.

In KY where there is personal property tax due on vehicles every year (about $15 for the Fiero), I have seen it happen where the seller gets their tax bill (because the buyer didn't transfer the title) and goes to the county clerks office and asks about it. The clerk tells them that the only way they don't have to pay the tax bill is to junk the title in the system (no hard copy needed as they are the current title holder in the system), so many have the title junked. Now when the buyer takes the signed title to the county clerk to register it, the title will come up as being junked and the buyer can't register it at that point. It takes a lot of work (and cooperation on the seller's part) to restore the title from being junked in KY.

In KY, transfer the title the same day you buy it...

Totally agree with you. If you ever intend to register the car and drive it, you best do the title transfer as soon as possible. In Texas they do recommend the buyer and seller BOTH go to the tax office and do the title transfer on the same day you buy it so there are no surprises.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you guys scrapping what looks to be perfecty good frames?

There are people in the rust belt who would kill for frames in that condition.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Why are you guys scrapping what looks to be perfecty good frames?

There are people in the rust belt who would kill for frames in that condition.

Because people in the rust belt are not going to pay to ship a bare frame halfway across the country. If they are then feel free to send a truck or trailer this way with cash and I'll load them up.

PFF
System Bot
JohnyWalter

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2020 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyWalterSend a Private Message to JohnyWalterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should always explore all possible options of how to get the most of your money while selling out your old vehicle. Rather than contacting your car dealer to sell it, or donating it to a metal dealer, you should contact an auto dismantled company like us to earn some good cash from your old car. I use the services of a junk car removal company in Toronto
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need the archiving turned back on. How the hell do you find a thread this old?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock