Started on: 05-09-2014 06:20 PM
Replies: 35 (817 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-15-2014 12:04 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not that I have any trouble accessing the forum as it is now. At least from home.

Hence, the problem.
My work has blocked the Forum simply because it's from NL. Said that a great deal of malware comes from servers in the NL. That's all the reason they "need".

Of course, I can appeal the block "for business purposes", but we all know that's not going to happen. Proxies are completely out of the question, as well.

So... I know that it's not worth it for you to set up a US server just so that I can access the Forum during my down time, but if you ever thought about doing it for any other reason, now would be a great time, IMHO.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try accessing the forum with www.fiero.com , takes you to the same site.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 05-09-2014).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, it's the same IP. Many companies use GeoIP blocking, which behaves as described. Yes, it is unfortunate that some good stuff is blocked. I will say that there is a way around this, but won't say how--particularly because it would probably violate your company's usage policies, but also as a professional courtesy.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
...but won't say how--particularly because it would probably violate your company's usage policies, but also as a professional courtesy.

That's okay. The net cops at work are clever folks. I don't care to use any "end-arounds" in order to violate our rules.
They may work for a while, but it's just not worth getting canned over. Lost several very talented co-workers that way.

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:
Try accessing the forum with www.fiero.com , takes you to the same site.

That was my first thought. But all it is, is a redirect to fiero.nl. Still got the door slammed in my face. But thanks!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-09-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Not that I have any trouble accessing the forum as it is now. At least from home.

Get a Sprint Note 3 phone. It's nearly 6 inches and it has unlimited data. You can surf the forum on 4G LTE and your boss is none the wiser.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Get a Sprint Note 3 phone. It's nearly 6 inches and it has unlimited data. You can surf the forum on 4G LTE and your boss is none the wiser.

Did this (have a Samsung). Sometimes I have lots of "downtime" at the office - being held up because of waiting for information (and my direct supervisor knows this).
Although we NEED Internet access for work, they block gambling, YouTube, streaming radio/music/video and pron sites - and they can track the websites and TIME.
If someone cared to check they could see how much surfing is going on and I'm sure there's some built-in "alarm bells" for someone doing more surfing than working.

For those days when sitting and waiting - the phone is very handy to keep you from going "stir crazy"

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried using a US proxy?

You could even set up a VPN connection with your PC at home and surf the net through that.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Have you tried using a US proxy?
You could even set up a VPN connection with your PC at home and surf the net through that.

Thanks Cliff. All are considered "skirting the rules". Not worth getting fired over. We're allowed to surf during down time, but only if we do it "their way".

Again... I'm not suggesting that you (or anyone) set up a mirror server in order to fix "my" problem. Just mentioned that if it was ever being considered, that now might be a good time.
I figured that there might be other reasons that you may want to implement one, as well.

Obviously, There's another solution. Just involves carrying another device to work. Not the ideal solution since it takes my attention away from my primary desktop.

Anyway.... Thanks for looking. I seriously appreciate all that you do.
Now that you've seen it, I'll let it die.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If Cliff doesn't mind adding a ruleset to the webserver (apache/nginx) to accept from an address from my server, I could probably bounce traffic. That way dns to your work resolves to a US ip, & my server middle mans the traffic.

The fiero.nl url is hard coded in each page. So using a reverse proxy isn't going to be ideal.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 05-12-2014).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no2pencil

1523 posts
Member since Oct 2009
*PM Sent*

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 05-12-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

If Cliff doesn't mind adding a ruleset to the webserver (apache/nginx) to accept from an address from my server, I could probably bounce traffic. That way dns to your work resolves to a US ip, & my server middle mans the traffic.

The fiero.nl url is hard coded in each page. So using a reverse proxy isn't going to be ideal.

add a line to hosts.txt?
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then he (Raydar) is adjusting his local machine, which is against employee TOS.

I setup a reverse proxy one of my servers, however the url links used here are hard coded & not dynamic to the existing domain, so it's not working after the 1st view.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then he (Raydar) is adjusting his local machine, which is against employee TOS.

I setup a reverse proxy one of my servers, however the url links used here are hard coded & not dynamic to the existing domain, so it's not working after the 1st view.

run the html stream threw a stream processor?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously guys... I appreciate all the tips and effort.
I'll just get a tablet or take my netbook, or something.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

run the html stream threw a stream processor?

I was looking for something with curl, do you have any example of a stream processor for either apache or nginx? I've never heard of it, & when I google it, the results are for streaming audio.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was looking for something with curl, do you have any example of a stream processor for either apache or nginx? I've never heard of it, & when I google it, the results are for streaming audio.

It's plain HTTP. Any proxy can modify anything in-line.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With gzip enabled on the server, the reverse proxy was unable to properly filter the content. I disabled the compression & the reverse proxy is now working correctly.

http://fiero.akroncdnr.com/...ate.cgi?action=intro
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With gzip enabled on the server, the reverse proxy was unable to properly filter the content. I disabled the compression & the reverse proxy is now working correctly.

http://fiero.akroncdnr.com/...ate.cgi?action=intro

Yay. Maybe someone will be dumb enough to use it and give you their password in the process.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The url provided is in no way in association with Fiero.nl :

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The url provided is in no way in association with Fiero.nl :

Yeah. I got that.
Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I disabled the compression & the reverse proxy is now working correctly.

There is a reason why compression is enabled by default (as it is on most websites on the internets). It's to safe bandwidth and cut loading times.

I was actually already working on blocking requests that do not accept compression since those are usually coming from misbehaving bots who are responsible for tremendous slowdowns of the server every day (or from IE6 users, but people still using IE6 shouldn't be using a computer anyway ).

So just a heads up that one of these days, your reverse proxy will probably stop working because of that.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11600 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by dobey:

Yay. Maybe someone will be dumb enough to use it and give you their password in the process.

Although I don't suspect no2pencil has any malicious intent and is only offering his help, this should be a point of concern. Not only can traffic be intercepted, content can be changed as well. Any link can be redirected. Malicious code can be injected.

Again, not saying no2pencil has malicious intent (because I'm sure he hasn't) but if the proxy isn't properly secured, an outside hacker can have a field day with it.

So in short ( ) I strongly advice against using a proxy that's not from a source you trust 100%. I really appreciate you are trying to help others no2pencil, but I must strongly advice others against using it.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really appreciate you are trying to help others no2pencil, but I must strongly advice others against using it.

I agree, if you don't know me, don't use it. That's why I posted the disclaimer.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although I don't suspect no2pencil has any malicious intent and is only offering his help, this should be a point of concern. Not only can traffic be intercepted, content can be changed as well. Any link can be redirected. Malicious code can be injected.

Again, not saying no2pencil has malicious intent (because I'm sure he hasn't) but if the proxy isn't properly secured, an outside hacker can have a field day with it.

So in short ( ) I strongly advice against using a proxy that's not from a source you trust 100%. I really appreciate you are trying to help others no2pencil, but I must strongly advice others against using it.

Actually, a proxy isn't even required for this to happen. Anyone anywhere in the world could tap into the stream and read or modify data. It's just slightly easier to do if people are connecting directly through a proxy.

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

use ettercap with a filter?
code:

if (ip.proto == TCP && tcp.dst == 80) {
if (search(DATA.data, "Accept-Encoding")) {
replace("Accept-Encoding", "Accept-Rubbish!");
msg("zapped Accept-Encoding!\n");
}
}
if (ip.proto == TCP && tcp.src == 80) {
replace("www.fiero.nl", "new.adderss.com");
msg("Filter Ran.\n");
}

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 05-13-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... people still using IE6 shouldn't be using a computer anyway ).

That's rather presumptious. Some of us are forced to run older versions of IE to use our healthcare, scheduling, & payroll sites. Also, many switches and firewalls don't handle newer browser versions. IE11 doesn't work well. Edge mode is laughable. Compatibility mode was better in IE10. IE6 is great for testing code, rather than the sloppy versions newer browsers allow.

As for using the command line on the firewalls vs the GUI, some things just aren't feasible from the command line.

Don't give me static about small payroll companies, either. This is ADP.

Many government sites will not run on IE7 and higher, compatibility view or no. Small business loan processing only works with IE and only versions of IE prior to 10. Even then, we must use compatibility view, quirks mode. IE11 has issues with digital signatures, due to macro errors.

To assume that IE6 is by choice is unbelievable. Honestly, when I hit some site that blocks me based on browser version, or because I'm using one vs another, I don't change to another browser. I just never go back to that domain. If web developers can't do a better job, perhaps they have competence elsewhere.

Firefox is as bad as IE used to be. Chrome is spyware, but just doesn't do much, and won't handle a lot of business aspects, such as printing. Safari doesn't do much of anything right, and isn't compatible with much of anything. Maxthon isn't stable. The other browsers aren't worth mentioning. So, we're stuck with IE.

Bottom line, when bereft of facts, it's best not to throw stones. I have several systems that are running XP with IE6 either natively or as a VM. Until something else will do as good of a job or better, I'll stick with what works.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

<snip>

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only reason sites require IE is because they were written with Active X plugins. Instant lack of security for large corporations & government (sarcastic yay!)

To assume that IE6 is by choice is unbelievable. Honestly, when I hit some site that blocks me based on browser version, or because I'm using one vs another, I don't change to another browser. I just never go back to that domain.

http://www.troyhunt.com/201...ows-xp-and-ie-8.html

Major sites have started to force IE8 & prior browsers off of it's visitors list, as well as the department of defense has suggested to stop using IE all together until major security flaws are corrected & patched. Since Microsoft has publicly stated they will no longer patch anything prior to IE 9, well that's just disaster waiting to happen by companies & corporations that require IE 6.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 05-14-2014).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's rather presumptious. Some of us are forced to run older versions of IE to use our healthcare, scheduling, & payroll sites. Also, many switches and firewalls don't handle newer browser versions. IE11 doesn't work well. Edge mode is laughable. Compatibility mode was better in IE10. IE6 is great for testing code, rather than the sloppy versions newer browsers allow.

As for using the command line on the firewalls vs the GUI, some things just aren't feasible from the command line.

Don't give me static about small payroll companies, either. This is ADP.

Many government sites will not run on IE7 and higher, compatibility view or no. Small business loan processing only works with IE and only versions of IE prior to 10. Even then, we must use compatibility view, quirks mode. IE11 has issues with digital signatures, due to macro errors.

To assume that IE6 is by choice is unbelievable. Honestly, when I hit some site that blocks me based on browser version, or because I'm using one vs another, I don't change to another browser. I just never go back to that domain. If web developers can't do a better job, perhaps they have competence elsewhere.

Firefox is as bad as IE used to be. Chrome is spyware, but just doesn't do much, and won't handle a lot of business aspects, such as printing. Safari doesn't do much of anything right, and isn't compatible with much of anything. Maxthon isn't stable. The other browsers aren't worth mentioning. So, we're stuck with IE.

Bottom line, when bereft of facts, it's best not to throw stones. I have several systems that are running XP with IE6 either natively or as a VM. Until something else will do as good of a job or better, I'll stick with what works.

most have move to i.e.8 now... anyone still forcing i.e.6 is WAY behind the times. all the regulations have moved forward now.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only reason sites require IE is because they were written with Active X plugins. Instant lack of security for large corporations & government (sarcastic yay!)

Major sites have started to force IE8 & prior browsers off of it's visitors list, as well as the department of defense has suggested to stop using IE all together until major security flaws are corrected & patched. Since Microsoft has publicly stated they will no longer patch anything prior to IE 9, well that's just disaster waiting to happen by companies & corporations that require IE 6.

True, hence not by choice; however, a web site trying to force a visitor away from particular browsers or versions is just as bad as those forcing older versions. I don't get to make the rules. I just have to make things work within those rules, hence why I won't explain how to get around them. One of the posts was close, however.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

True, hence not by choice; however, a web site trying to force a visitor away from particular browsers or versions is just as bad as those forcing older versions. I don't get to make the rules. I just have to make things work within those rules, hence why I won't explain how to get around them. One of the posts was close, however.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah probly access it on a tablet instead.
How is that interface, such as android based, good?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-14-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I so LOLed.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow...
Talk about unintended consequences.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock