High Idle Issue by rice.1
Started on: 05-08-2014 12:32 PM
Replies: 7 (496 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 05-10-2014 07:02 PM
rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've searched for this and still haven't found a potential answer to my issue.

I got my vac lines connected last night and did a quick test. I'm currently idling at start up around 2k. I haven't allowed it to warm up since I have a coolant leak, and I didn't refill.

I have new SS vacuum lines from Rodney installed. I had a vacuum leak and couldn't find it right away, so I ordered the new lines and had everything apart. Figured if I just replaced everything, I could find the leak, as well as inspect the rubber fittings. I found a couple worn fittings, as well as a line that was cracked. I replaced everything, got it back together, and still have a high leak.

I had replaced my EGR tube last year with a new, flexible one from Rodney as well.

I haven't checked my IAC yet, so that may be a issue, as well as the EGR itself, but I didn't have a high idle until I replaced my valve cover gaskets. That's why I originally thought I had an issue with my vacuum lines, maybe forgetting to re-connect one after putting everything back together.

Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't thatt normal, on start up when cold or not been driven yet mine is at 2k then in a few seconds it's drops to 1000
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 four cylinder motors that do almost the same thing. When I start the cars they will idle at 2K or higher. Then they will increase idle to 2.5K then start to drop. After about 1 min the idle will drop to 1200 then down to about 800. If I don't let the engine warm up the idle will never drop. And when I say warm up I am not talking about heat. It doesn't make any difference what the engine temp is.

I have tried ever part I can think of and the problem hasn't changed. And like I said this is on two different cars.
rice.1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, alright, maybe I have the issue fixed then. If I recall, before I changed the lines, it was idling around 2400, so if idling at 2k at startup, I'll let it warm up a bit and see how it turns out. Thanks for the responses.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. High idle at start up when cold and then it will ramp down. IAC will toss a code. So probably not an issue here. EGR will not, but that will cause a different symptom.

Edit to ask: Year and engine will be relevant here....

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 05-08-2014).]

rice.1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

Yes, I suppose it would. It's a 1987 2.8L V6.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check or replace your PCV valve if you haven't already.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1700 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Also make sure your vacuum is correct to the EGR.

Edit: And see if you are seeing a code 32 when checking the ECM. You will get a light with the 87 2.8.

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 05-10-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock