Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any info on using custom driving lights instead of figuring out headlamps

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any info on using custom driving lights instead of figuring out headlamps by tucson86fiero
Started on: 05-06-2014 01:43 AM
Replies: 6 (330 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-07-2014 12:04 AM
tucson86fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tucson86fieroSend a Private Message to tucson86fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Visiting a pick and pull spot in town this week to obtain some relays for the 86 Fiero with strangely schizophrenic headlights.

Have a three-week old GM installed right lamp motor. It stopped 'working' last week. The left lamp was left standing.

A few days later the right headlight started working again with the left now inactive. Read up in the archives here about what could be happening but frustrated.

Wondering if I could just visit one of those aftermarket shops and get some bright driving lights melded into the front spoiler. Would that be legal?

Thinking separate on/flip switch tied into the parking lights. Love the pop ups but this is insane. Car is clean, well maintained, no rust, little rain exposure, 70k miles, so not expecting this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be relays or wire connection issues. There are many folks here who can probably help you fix the factory healights. At worst case some people leave them up all the time. Using running lights is illegal in many places because of the height off the ground requirements for the lights.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Could be relays or wire connection issues. There are many folks here who can probably help you fix the factory healights. At worst case some people leave them up all the time. Using running lights is illegal in many places because of the height off the ground requirements for the lights.

Ditto

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some years ago I came across this '88 coupe with an Ecotec swap at a local auto-x. The owner had installed driving lights into the front fascia, and with the '87-'88 style they fit in nice.

However yes you do need to be warned that there is a DOT requirement for headlight height, and if your lights are not at least to the lowest point allowed then you can be cited for it in most all jurisdictions. I too would also echo above that you can likely resolve the problem with simple diagnosis and at the most a complete rebuild of the headlight assemblies (which isn't hard nor expensive to do).
msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there are still some people out there selling flush mount kits to replace the headlights.

I'm not sure how the newer ones are, but I know the design I have really requires driving lights.

I'm kind of surprised no one has found an electric actuator to replace the stock motors.
tucson86fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tucson86fieroSend a Private Message to tucson86fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for the deep thinking. Will replace the relays. Headlight height should not matter- maybe length of light beam and breadth of coverage. Met a gentleman today walking out of Safeway with a black late 50's Tbird. He parked right across from the Fiero. Was menacing, huge and glorious. Batmobile like. A Herman Munster car. Dude appeared to work at Ace Hardware given is shirt, said to me "'86 huh? Have not one seen in awhile." (I said I have not seen your car around much either. How did you know it was an '86?) . He ignored the question and said, "Northstar V8 bolts right in.". Said I'm planning to hot rod it out in a couple years but enjoying the low mileage on the V6. He said, "It's a new car then." I laughed and headed to the post office to mail two Mother's Day cards.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving lights, like fog lights, are only allow when low beam HL are on in most states.
If you drive in other states, their rules when you do.
Many DMV have easy to read rules and are online.

Driving/fog light installed like pic in Fiero84Freak post will make park/turn very hard or impossible to see to other drivers. Meaning Turn signals are useless when drive/fog is on.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock