Started on: 05-03-2014 09:47 AM
Replies: 65 (1551 views)
Last post by: Rare87GT on 05-16-2014 10:13 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just relating a recent experience with a customer:

Customer ordered front upper and lower ball joints. The lower ball joints were the 1" drop. Plus my Zero lash end links that are longer to match the 1" lowering ball joints. I made a mistake and sent standard length Zero lash end links. The customer received the order and told me he needed the correct end links sent over night as his car was in the shop. So I did over night them at my expense.

A good businessman would have told the customer:

I'm sorry we made an error. You can send the wrong end links back and once we receive them we will ship the correct end links and refund to you the return shipping.

The customer wants the replacements over night. A good businessman says:

We can over night them but you will be required to pay the additional cost over the cost of standard shipping and we will need to charge you for the longer end links. Once the short end links are returned we will refund the cost of the short end links and reimburse the cost you incurred to return them.

So I'm a bad businessman because I over night the longer end links at N/C to the customer and he now wants me to pay the return shipping on the ones he returned. I wish I was a better businessman and followed the process above like a good businessman would have. This guy has sent me numerous emails telling me what a bad business person I am, calling me names etc. Like no one ever makes a mistake. If this guy is looking to do business with businesses that never make a mistake I think he will spend the rest of his life looking as they do not exist.

Doing this for almost 20 years now I have more than a few stories I could tell.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like the customer is a businessman too because he said he had the car in his shop. He should understand that mistakes happen and he shouldn't be sending childish and nasty emails either. I have been very happy with what I have bought from you and you provide good and unique products that no one else does.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try dealing with people buying animals from you!

We sell puppies and farm animals, we had a woman all pissed off at us because her female golden retriever wouldn't pass the hip x-ray. after she ran over the Biatch with her 4 wheeler. said it was still our fault and wanted a replacement puppy .

Your not a bad businessman, your a good one trying to satisfy you customer base, you customers are a pain in the ass. you can't satisfy everyone no matter what you do. its a losing proposition.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,

I have purchased several times over the years from you and have been very happy with your products and customer service.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A customer recently bought a Getrag shift cable. He put the cable on the top of the arm on the trans instead of on the underside like the OEM cable was installed and the cable broke. So he insists I should replace the cable. We duh: Take off old part - put on the new part the same way the original was installed. Why is is it my fault you installed it incorrectly?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
How much time and effort so I spend trying to get orders in postal flat rate boxes saving my customers many $$$. A good businessman just ships everything UPS or Fed Ex and charges the customer big $$$. I ship many things in the small postal flat rate boxes for $7 shipping. Shipping these same items UPS or Fed Ex would typically cost twice that.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by Csjag:

It sounds like the customer is a businessman too because he said he had the car in his shop. He should understand that mistakes happen and he shouldn't be sending childish and nasty emails either. I have been very happy with what I have bought from you and you provide good and unique products that no one else does.

In my opinion this customer should have said: Wow this guy shipped the replacements over night and did not charge me anything. The least I can do is send the others ones back at my expense. That is what I would have done.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep been there with a few people and learned you can not please every body nor should you have to in some cases.
Your business practices are just fine as well as your reputation.

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not saying no business does this but show me any business that says if we ship the wrong part we will overnight the right part so you have it the next day at no cost to the customer for this overnight cost of shipping.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 05-03-2014).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you're a bad business person, I think you're just trying to be honest, helpful, and personal in your dealings with your customers. I think this is something that has been lost in good business practice over the years.

A "good" businessman now has the stereotype of putting money and profits first before the customer experience. Since I'm assuming this is your full time job, it's obviously important that you maximize your profits but at the same time, taking a small hit once in a while can net you more money in the end when that person doesn't hesitate to give you return business or recommend you to a friend.

Also, I know that shipping via USPS instead of UPS or FedEX to us customers in Canada is extremely helpful. Any seller who is willing to ship USPS to me will ALWAYS, 100% of the time get my business. With UPS/FedEX I can expect my package to cost me an extra $20 or much more when it gets to my door.

Based on the amount of praise you get around here, I would say that you're doing a good job. I don't think I've read a poor review about you on Pennocks in the 10 or so years I've been on the forum.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a bad customer. You made a mistake and went out of your way to make good on it, which is as it should be. Shipping overnight to correct was the right thing to do at a high cost to you. Now the customer wants to fight over a few bucks in shipping charges to send the parts back. That isn't something that I would do if I were in his shoes.
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on my experience dealing with you, you are a first rate businessman that provides excellent customer service.

The parts I have purchased are nothing but the best, always on time and well packaged.

I am grateful that you make the Fiero parts available that you do at a fair price.

I work for a business that sells online also and there are some customers that just don't get it, they have unrealistic expectations and you can't make them happy no matter what you do.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm usually the first one to jump on the complaint train, but you did right by me. Actually, my order of the air intake was right the first time, and arrived in a timely fashion. I couldn't have asked for better.

Some places are geared for when everything goes right, but have no contingency plan, and things just go downhill from there.

It sounds as if the customer is in the wrong, here.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have told the customer to have the shop put on his old end links so he could drive home and reschedule when you send out the correct parts. As far as the guy with the shift cable, once and idiot, always an idiot. You definately shouldn't have sent another cable.

You have always been a great vendor for Fiero parts. I wouldn't be too concerned and for the future and I also wouldn't bend over backwards too much Rodney. I found out that with the Fiero crowd, no matter what you do, people are still going to complain about something and expect a freebie thrown in. I have spoken to you a few times over the phone. You are professional and handle your business VERY well with almost no mistakes and provide very high quality parts. Besides, if someone came on here bashing you, you know what would happen.....the mob would take care of it

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-03-2014).]

Brucepts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My take as someone who also tries to ship my orders as cheap as possible via USPS around the world to save my customer's some $$$; He's hoping you say "don't send them back it's not worth the effort" and then you will see them show up in the Mall

I just sent a replacement part to OZ this AM, shipping was $50.00 to replace a customer damaged +$300 part. If they send it back to me I'll repair it and offer it off as a refurb part to someone at a discount and make some $$$'s back. But, I'm not paying return shipping to my shop . . . sometimes it's just better to take a loss, my profit margin is based on some loss. You have to do what you feel is best for your business which you already know, you can't please everyone

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney

I have bought from you many times over the years and everything has been fantastic.

Thank you for providing the parts that you do!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I think you did everything you could to resolve the issue. Issues in packaging up the wrong parts will happen from time to time, but isn't a big issue if it is infrequent and you are willing to replace the item.

Had you not had to overnight the replacement part, I am sure you would have been willing to cover the return shipping. But since the customer had to have it overnight (which will greatly increase your shipping costs), then he/she should have be willing to cover the return shipping which worst case would be about $7 or less.

However, some people you just can't make happy... and it really isn't worth fighting over $7 or risking bad PR, so I would take the high road, pay the return shipping, and move on.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been very pleased with orders I've placed with you over the years.

The only issue you have is: You are dealing with the "Public" and some of them aren't very intelligent.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,
You have shipped my parts the same day when I have asked (usually I am in a pinch). Your shipping is very reasonable and your parts are quality.
That said, mistakes do happen. You did everything reasonable to get him the right part. Some people just can't be satisfied.

Let me use this as an opportunity to say thanks to all the Fiero vendors out there!

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many 87/88 Fiero owners that have called me thru the years wanting new gears for their headlight motors. I tell every one you probably do not need new gears. I can sell you new gears but as an honest and ethical person I can't just take your money. Few insist. Most get the torque pins and side gaskets as I suggest they get. I think in 15 plus years I had maybe one or two call back that actually had a damaged gear. Now if I was a better businessman I would say one or two?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney your ok... I've always had nothing less than A+ service and parts. Your always friendly to talk to on the phone and in person... You have always gone out of your way to help and provide for special events. Someone had a bad day and you were the dog to kick.. Keep up the great job 99.9% of us think your great!

Vince

------------------
Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - PnP Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings

For Sale: 87 GT, Met Orange

Rides:
86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, , 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban, 04 Trailblazer

PFF
System Bot
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney you're a good businessman for sending things overnight. To be even better you should pay for return shipping.

The mistake was your fault and you should have to pay for it. Is it your customer's fault for having his car out of service for longer than he wanted? Or for having to pay a shop to hold his car overnight? Or having to put up with other unintended expenses and frustration because of your mistake?

He shouldn't have to eat the cost of your mistake. Other businesses that think their customers should eat the cost for their mistake are bad.

So, yes your a good businessman, but you can be even better.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cyrus88

394 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm not saying no business does this but show me any business that says if we ship the wrong part we will overnight the right part so you have it the next day at no cost to the customer for this overnight cost of shipping.

Summit Racing has done this for me, and has even done it when it was my fault.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One can drive a car without sway bar end links. Tie the sway bar ends up to the frame. If it was the wrong ball joints or something that would be different.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by cyrus88:
He shouldn't have to eat the cost of your mistake. Other businesses that think their customers should eat the cost for their mistake are bad.

A good businessman would have told the customer:

I'm sorry we made an error. You can send the wrong end links back and once we receive them we will ship the correct end links and refund to you the return shipping.

No cost to the customer. Most (virtually all) businesses work this same way. The customer requested the over night shipping.
------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 05-03-2014).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should sleep fine. You went up and above. Unfortunately there are very few great vendors like you. Also unfortunately there are to many a$$ customers like that one for good vendors to deal with. He probably is the kind of guy that goes to Walmart and buys a ladder to paint his home and then returns it for full refund one month later with tiny paint drops all over.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I refunded him his $6.00. Lesson learned on my part. I should have handled it like I mentioned above:

The customer wants the replacements over night. A good businessman says:

We can over night them but you will be required to pay the additional cost over the cost of standard shipping and we will need to charge you for the longer end links. Once the short end links are returned we will refund the cost of the short end links and reimburse the cost you incurred to return them.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I'll start out by saying that I've purchased many parts from you over the years with the most recent being the deck lid strut for my 88GT and I'll continue to purchase parts from you in the future. You've done a lot to help the Fiero community.

In business mistakes happen, we're all human. Sending the part overnight went above and beyond, IMHO, but was the right thing to do. Most places would have sent a new part, but it would have been by which ever method the buyer originally ordered the part.

With regards to paying shipping back on the return part, I could make an argument for either case.
For: It strengthens the business reputation and be done by sending a prepaid shipping label.
Against: You already paid to have the part overnighted and it wouldn't cost the buyer much to send it pack via slow boat mail.

What would I do? I'd probably eat the shipping to have the original part sent back, but do it the cheapest way possible that has tracking. Problem solved. Done. The end.
Are you a good business man? Yes. How many other Fiero vendors have been in business as long as you have? How many Fiero vendors have the resources to bring new products to market? How many dedicated and loyal customers do you have?

Regardless of how the current issue ends, I'm going to continue to be a customer and my guess is that the statement is true for nearly everyone on the forum.
------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

[This message has been edited by Chris_narf (edited 05-03-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have gladly paid the return shipping had the customer paid for the upgraded overnight shipping (amount over standard shipping). Standard shipping is $6.00. Overnight is $20.00. Minus the $6.00 return amount he owes me $8.00. Yet to make him happy I had to give him $6.00 back. And get called all sorts of degrading names and told many degrading statements to the type of person he thinks I am. Oh well.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would have gladly paid the return shipping had the customer paid for the upgraded overnight shipping (amount over standard shipping). Standard shipping is $6.00. Overnight is $20.00. Minus the $6.00 return amount he owes me $8.00. Yet to make him happy I had to give him $6.00 back. And get called all sorts of degrading names and told many degrading statements to the type of person he thinks I am. Oh well.

Yup. The joy of working with customers. Sometimes you've gotta have a pretty thick skin. As a customer, I've found that it's usually better to remember that the other person is a human being and try to work through things like an adult. I'm glad things are worked out; now life goes one.

BTW - I just ordered that front hood strut that I've been wanting.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i had a problem once with a product of your, you fixed the issue right away, and i was more then happy with the service you offered, **** happens, we sell parts on ebay at my work, and it seems anyone with a "car enthusiast" like name you wont get any issues from if something goes wrong, but the guy named "mrhappypants003" will cry and complain nomatter what you try to do for them...
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How many 87/88 Fiero owners that have called me thru the years wanting new gears for their headlight motors. I tell every one you probably do not need new gears. I can sell you new gears but as an honest and ethical person I can't just take your money. Few insist. Most get the torque pins and side gaskets as I suggest they get. I think in 15 plus years I had maybe one or two call back that actually had a damaged gear. Now if I was a better businessman I would say one or two?

You told me this when I ordered my Headlight Gears. I just wanted them for the added security and "while I'm in there, might as well" LOL! I won't have to worry about the headlight motors for a long time. You made a mistake and the customer took the opportunity to attempt to capitalize on it. You went above and beyond and they were just flat out disrespectful and unappreciative.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I have bought from you several times over the years. I have to say you are an ethical and nice businessman. It is a pleasure to do business with you. Even when I screw up you stand behind your products. I find that amazing in the business world of today. And I salute you.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have been an awesome vendor for the Fiero community.

Now I will say that folks have been spoiled by Amazon...They are so big that they can eat the cost of a mistake here and there. They have the A-Z policy no questions asked and they will reship at their expense and will tell the customer to keep the wrong item. Item lost in the mail they ship another no questions asked... it goes on and on.

I sell stuff on Amazon and it scares me to death that I'll get a chargeback because I will have to give the money back no questions asked and I don't get the item back. It sucks being a small business.

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to say it Rodney, but you've learned exactly the wrong lesson.

If it's your mistake, then you, as business, should pay for any inconvenience you may incur to make your customer happy.

Think not of the few bucks you lost, but the advertising you have gained. If you make your customer happy, not only will he be singing your praises and buying more from you, he will also send more business your way! You'll more than make up your losses from your good reputation.

If nothing else, you can claim such losses on your taxes.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:
If it's your mistake, then you, as business, should pay for any inconvenience you may incur to make your customer happy.

I agree but on a very rare occasion a customer comes along that is over and above what one can take. This guy was arrogant, demanding and a jerk from the first email on. Says it is for his kids Fiero. Poor kid. Having to live with someone like that. I bet the kid turns out the same way.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I manage in the retail sector, and I feel your pain. The customer isn't always right, but the same entitled disease infects customers as does our nations electorate. Somehow, they feel everything is theirs, and they can treat you anyway they want. Not that it really needs to be said, but you are one of the finest vendors I have ever dealt with. Just let it go, and don't lose sleep over this.

Jim
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney tell him to go" F{bomb}" himself with a 6" bit.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a tough one. Back when I had my business I always went above and beyond regardless, sometimes it cost me and sometimes it didn't. I do see both sides.

But when I had issues with an amazon order. I was sent the new part over night and had free return shipping. This was due to "buy these together". Which didn't work. So they fixed that error and made it right for me.

I don't know the whole story here. But if it made it to a post and it wasn't a "scam"...I am not sure I would want it to go that far.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you already "took the hit".
I think you probably did the right thing, in spite of the customer acting like "an appendage".

I would probably just write it off, but going forward, I would probably decline any future business with that customer.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-04-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock