Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Another Katatak Fiero Adventure! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Another Katatak Fiero Adventure! by katatak
Started on: 04-20-2014 09:16 PM
Replies: 71 (1826 views)
Last post by: katatak on 08-09-2014 10:15 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick -I like these wheels. Just not sure they will fit and I hate to buy them and find out that they won't work. A guy I work with has some kind of wheel offset, etc. tool. He does a lot of circle track racing and does all kinds of stagger and offset wheels for different tracks. He's going to come by this weekend and take some measurements. I'll know for sure what will and will not work.

On another note, A fellow Forum member has sacrificed a spare fuel tank for the wide body. That will save me a trip crawling around in the pick and pull searching for a good used tank. My injectors are on their way back from the injector service. It's possible to have it back up and running in another couple weeks! I need to strip the AC and heater lines out of my roadster project - the lines in the wide body are shot so I'll use the Roadster lines in the Wide body. There will be no use for them in the Roadster.

More to come!

Pat

P.S. Page 2 ownage!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 05-23-2014).]

IP: Logged
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Injectors came in the mail today - and I picked up the intake and valve covers from the chrome shop - just had them bead blasted so I can paint them.

More later!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a little done today on the Wide Body. Was a busy day - Spent 12 hours smoking a couple pork butts for tomorrow, sold my Honda VTX1800, changed the TCC solenoid in the Wide body trans, and cut the Y pipe for some porting.

Butts on the Smoker:

So long scooter!

TCC replacement:

Y Pipe Cut and ready for porting

Injectors ready to go

Bead blasted intake and valve covers - these will most likely end up in the Mall. I purchased a Powder coated set form another Forum Member so I doubt I'll put anymore time or effort in these.

Ran out of time but I also picked up a new filter / gasket for the trans.

More later!

Pat

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Pat,
LMK how the ported Y pipe works out. I had my 88 Y pipe ported but the welds have not held. I think the muffler shop used the wrong material to weld it back toghether. I am now hunting for another undamaged 88 Y pipe. I have an 87 Performane Y pipe from the Fiero Store if you know anyone interested..
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a Box in the mail today - well actually it was on the porch - Thanks to "h.d.fire" - I now have a good clean ready to install gas tank - Thanks Mike again for helping me out.

More later!

Pat
h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry for all the Styrofoam dust! I wanted to make sure it got to you "dent free" !
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another delivery today! Thanks Blue87t-top.

Some Bling for the Wide Body............

Will be putting it all together this weekend. If I was really ambitious, I could be driving it by Sunday?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by h.d.fire:

sorry for all the Styrofoam dust! I wanted to make sure it got to you "dent free" !

It's all good Mike - nothing some compressed air won't take care of.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Pat! See your PM's

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 05-30-2014).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm back to you Rick.

While installing the valve covers today, I found that I am missing one valve cover bolt. I took great care to tag and bag everything. I used to just toss all the bolts in one bin - never lost one that way. But my old buddy Frizlefrak gave me "flak" about it one day so I changed my ways - now it's all his fault........

Anyway, I put up a request over in the Mall - someone will have one or two they can spare. Been kickin around the idea of a motor swap - 3.4 with some mods? 3800NA for a later turbo project? 3800 SC? If I go 3.4 PR, I think it should have a 4t60 too? Been back and forth and have decided to just put the original motor /trans back in for now.

More later!

Pat
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

There is someting to be said for a nice running stocker. Until you decide what to do you can still have fun driving. You can build you swap driveline on another cradle and take your time. Jan seems to be happy with the 3.4/125 combo but a 4 speed auto would be much better.

I wonder if a six speed auto from a late model 3.6 V6 Malibu would bolt up. It's pretty amazing how good these small engines run with the six speed autos.
Shoot, if somone could figure out the wiring harness You could swap in the whole 3.6 PFI, 6- speed auto out of at 2008 or so Malibu. They have about 260 horspower and move the Malibu around pretty well. This would make a cool Fiero swap.

I also like the old 3.4 Twin Dual Cam for the broad rpm range, but that would be a better swap with a manual. It would also be a natural for the Mera.
Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 05-31-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those that know me - know that I can't leave stuff alone. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy but I'm finding that most times, my sickness to "dig" deeper pays off. It's painful in many ways but that's part of the fun - right?

So I pulled the water pump off because I did not like the look of the sloppy install job by the PO and, it looked like it ay be leaking from the impeller shaft. My suspicions were correct. Looks like the PO used an entire tube of blue silicone on the pump. While I was cleaning up the mess, I noticed there was a lot of oil residue in front of the intake - on top of the timing cover. Looking at the front of the intake, I could see a "large" amount of sealer - it appears that this intake has been off at some point in the past? So I pulled the intake - once again, my suspicions were correct. The front of the intake was void of sealer in one area and it looks like someone tried to fill the gap with black silicone to stop the oil leak. Now I'm wondering if it was assembled at the factory with this sealer void? So anyway - now I have a mess to clean up with the old intake gaskets.

This can't be factory?

Note the void in the sealant? Did the factory use silicone or is there supposed to be a rubber seal here like a SBC?

This is going to be a mess to clean up!

More later!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made some progress today. After spending most the day looking for a "Lisle 48500 Push Rod Removal Tool", I had no luck. I really wanted to be able to remove the push rods without removing the rockers to clean and install the new intake gaskets. After rummaging around my garage, I found the perfect tool. It's a "spanner" wrench. Worked perfect to remove and install the push rods. Got all the old gaskets removed and the heads cleaned. I pulled a few of the lifters as well to inspect for wear. Was really happy to find the lifters nice and flat. Everyone spins freely in the bores. I do believe that the intake has been off in the past.

My "special" Pushrod removal tool and a make shift pushrod organizer.

Ready for intake gaskets

Putting the pushrods back in

Ready for the intake

Intake installed and torqued

Valve covers installed - ready for the middle intake and the injectors

Water pump is ready to install

Hope to have it all buttoned up by tomorrow afternoon. Still need to find the small o ring for the cold start injector tube, clean up the T Stat housing and boil out the TB. Also need to finish porting the Y pipe and re weld it. I was hoping to stuff it back in the car this weekend - maybe next weekend???

More later!

Pat
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat I purchased my full intake set at RockAuto. I am thinking it was part of that set.
-Joe

P.S. question:
Did you put the engine on #1 before you added on the valve covers? And, this is an easy time to put a new National Seal in the timing cover.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 06-08-2014).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Pat I purchased my full intake set at RockAuto. I am thinking it was part of that set.
-Joe

P.S. question:
Did you put the engine on #1 before you added on the valve covers? And, this is an easy time to put a new National Seal in the timing cover.

Thanks for the tips Joe - I did not see it in the intake set but when I purchased the intakes and valve covers, they came with a complete motor kit - I'll check that one out to see if it's in there. Yes - she is on #1 TDC - I've made that mistake before.....
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
A little more done this AM. Middle intake on, injectors and fuel rail installed, cleaned up the wiring and vacuum tubes, cleaned and painted the alternator bracket and the T Stat housing, Water pump installed, etc. Need to pick up a bushing for the temp sensor - ruined the one I tried to remove from the old intake. You don't realize it until the reassembly starts but there is a lot of "stuff" attached to the top of these little motors. I really believe it would be easier to do a 3800 SC than rebuild . reassemble the stock 2.8!

More later!

Pat
h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good Pat!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat paint the top pulley. It is very visable with the trunk lid open. The lower one is low and outta sight.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pat paint the top pulley. It is very visable with the trunk lid open. The lower one is low and outta sight.

Sheesh Joe - picky picky! But you are right - I'll pull it off and paint it.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

I sent you pics of the performance Y pipe awhile back. Did you look at them yet?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Pat,

I sent you pics of the performance Y pipe awhile back. Did you look at them yet?

I got them Rick - shoot me a price - Shipping might be fun though.

PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More done - but I failed to get pics. As per instruction from Joe - I painted the pulleys. My youngest son works for a company that rebuilds aircraft engines. He took my alternator bracket to work and worked his magic - stripped it, did some kind of anti aluminum corrosion coating and then powder coated it - looks like it's new! All new temp sensors. oil sender, Dizzy back in. Cold start injector installed - that was fun - I could not find a proper o ring for the feed tube. I fabbed up a nylon collar that fit the tube and the fitting. Slid it up against the metal collar on the tube then installed an o ring that was the correct inner and outer diameter but is thinner than the original. The nylon collar made up the loss of the o ring thickness which allowed the original collar to sit up above the fuel rail fitting enough to allow the nut to tighten down on it and seal. Also cleaned up the wiring. I'll take some pics this afternoon.

More later!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After tinkering with the Roadster project, I managed to get a little further on the Wide body project. Just need to install all the vac lines and the intake/TB - weld the Y pipe back together and install the exhaust. I also picked up a set of Monroe Sensatrac struts and front shocks (Thanks Mike!) so I'll get those installed this weekend. I could get the motor stuffed back in this weekend? All depends on how much ambition I can gather. But there will be a little more work to be done before she hits the road again. I ordered all the pieces and parts to do the grand am brake upgrade and a new AC compressor / accumulator, orifice tube and seals. Still need to install the new AC and Heater lines along with the gas tank. With any luck, I'll be driving it sometime after the 4th. Still need to decide on wheels and tires too but I wanted to get the motor back in and do some measuring before I spend money and find out the wheels/tires won't fit!

More later!

Pat
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I got them Rick - shoot me a price - Shipping might be fun though.

PM Sent.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motor looks good.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Motor looks good.

Amazing what a little paint will do........ I'm really having a hard time not tearing it completely apart and rebuilding it. I'll put this one back in and drive it - I can always swap something into it later on.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been awhile - I have been tinkering with the Wide body - mainly focused on the Roadster project but once an awhile I do something with the Wide body. All that's left to finish before the motor goes back in is finish the exhaust. I ordered a new AC pump and picked up a new alternator. Every time I add another part, I stop and think how easy it would be to stuff a 3800 SC in there. Then the evil Fiero mechanic in me comes out and thinks I should take the wide body and put it on the roadster - build a Wide body Roadster with an LS4? It has some appeal. For now, it will go back together with the 2.8 and I'll make a nice driver out of it. When the 2.8 dies, the glove come off and there will e no "rules". More fun to come!

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I pulled the trigger on a motor swap for the Wide Body today. Bought a LS4 out of a 06 SS Impala with 95k on it. Was able to hear it run and drive the car around the junk yard. Car was destroyed in a Hail/Tornado a few weeks back. The yard will pull it early next week. I have the 2.8/trans up for sale over in the Mall:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069649.html

Will start gathering swap parts now! I can't wait.

More later!

Pat
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanna play too!!!
-Joe
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wanna play too!!!
-Joe

Hang on Joe - it's going to be a bumpy ride! Here we go..............
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:
You don't realize it until the reassembly starts but there is a lot of "stuff" attached to the top of these little motors. I really believe it would be easier to do a 3800 SC than rebuild . reassemble the stock 2.8!
Pat

........and it seems like you have more room in the engine compartment when the 3800 is intalled.........

It just seem like a more elegant solution, I have yet to attempt either mind you but just by looking at it and the fact that you can get more complete OBD diagnostics with a 3800SC.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well as most projects go, I'm going a little different direction now. Was doing some "inspecting" of the front end on the 86 Widebody and found a lot of rust and stuff that makes me nervous to use this chassis with an LS swap. So, I will strip the good parts off this chassis and use the body on my roadster project. It will require a little rework of the IMSA Body - it will require the roof section to come off and then mold it to fit the Roadster. I will install the LS4 into the Roadster and end up with one Fiero out of the two. It's the best way to go anyway. I can't dedicate enough time to both of them - I'll do one and be done. For further updates on this car / body / parts. check out this thread:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094322.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock