Autocross, Rally, road racing. by Josh52894
Started on: 04-20-2014 04:24 PM
Replies: 14 (590 views)
Last post by: 2002z28ssconv on 05-15-2014 08:54 PM
Josh52894

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to get into racing and would just like some input, is there anyone here who races their Fiero? Ive thought about it and have not been able to convince myself a Fiero would make a good track car. Who has experience and how well do they compare?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to an autocross event last summer for the first time and my Fiero did pretty well. It was my first time so I didn't place though.
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have raced autocross three seasons in my 86gt. Finally got it tuned in and placed 6th in raw out of 60 drivers on rs-3s. Could have gotten better but ended up totaling the car on a back road. Very capable car for sure. I can tell you how my car was set up if you want, but I don't feel like typing it all out unless you want that info lol.
ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mid engine cars have their own unique driving characteristics, a fiero would work nicely in stock but isn't going to be a good platform if you want to get into a faster class.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alright, I was gonna try the higher classes. like street modified and prepared, I was hoping someone would talk me into racing a fiero. maybe ill start stock with a fiero and decide later rather than build a strait up racecar and suck later. havnt started yet but im about to get my dream job a month or so from now and need to decide what im gonna spend my extra money on.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coming up will be my 5th year of autocross. I never worry about winning my "class", mostly because there are faster/better handling cars out there. But hey, for a fraction of the money that a lot of these guys have sunk into their cars, I have a helluva lot of fun. And occasionally... I surprise these guys.

The first four years have been with a 5-spd '84 duke with tweaked suspension. This year will be with a 5-spd '88 Formula. I'm looking forward to the extra power coming out of the sweeps.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first experience, my car is second (GOLD)

-Mitch
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

My first experience, my car is second (GOLD)

Fix that scraping dust shield.

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I think ill try what you guys are saying and stick to the stock class, if I get deep into ill build an all out racecar. Those fieros didn't look too bad out there, also looked like a lot of fun, I had tossed around the idea of autocrossing my 90 Thunderbird Supercoupe but I'd much rather do it in a Fiero not to mention the supercharger puts it in a higher class it wouldn't even be competition in.

Josh
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won the region title in SSM, so its not totally true that A Fiero isn't competitive in the higher classes.

You just have to know how to set your car up. And lets face it, its 80% driver, 20% car. Seat time, seat time, seat time. I cant stress that enough. Experience in the sport will help tremendously. Hell I didn't get "Good" till about halfway through my 3rd season (I am starting my 4th season this year)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattman134:

I won the region title in SSM, so its not totally true that A Fiero isn't competitive in the higher classes.

What alterations from "factory" are you allowed in that class? (engine, wheel size, suspension, etc)

And what types of cars were you up against?
PFF
System Bot
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
READ the RULE BOOK! SCCA puts the fiero, any fiero, in the slowest class. But you can still have a blast. Go have fun.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

READ the RULE BOOK! SCCA puts the fiero, any fiero, in the slowest class.

Not sure who that post was meant for, but my understanding is that there are several classes that a Fiero can be assigned to depending on modifications.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ssm is unlimited.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first Fiero was an 85 GT dedicated race car, stripped and gutted to 2300 pounds, 2.8 with auto that I converted to 4 spd. Our class was CR but that equated to something else in SCCA rules. It was still a "Race" class with race tires, unlimited suspension mods, unlimited weight reduction and all the intake and exhaust mods I could make but the engine displacement had to remain stock ( plus no more than 15%). It was fun but never really competitive. I did ok against the Civics and almost won my club's points championship one year but then the Audi's and Mini's came to that class and handed me my arse. What I can tell you is that the Fiero (or any mid or rear engine car) is a lot different to drive at the limit. I was used to racing a 2002 Camaro SS and would steer with the rear every chance I could. In the Fiero, losing traction to the rear tires is VERY unforgiving. Once the weight of the engine starts going sideways you don't just casually manipulate the throttle. So car control is EVERYTHING. The Fiero was tons of fun and would have been terrific if it had more power. But a bigger engine would have bumped me to the highest mod class with Corvettes and Vipers and such. So decide if you want to win or if you want to have fun.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock