Started on: 04-16-2014 09:53 PM
Replies: 9 (587 views)
Last post by: Francis T on 04-18-2014 04:24 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I had planned on making our intakes and headers again, my health won't allow. My back is better, but my CHF recently got worse and I just don't, -lol- have the heart for it anymore. I get exhausted too easy to do much. Whereas we still have intake manifold base flanges in stock I can sell then to anyone looking to build their own intake manifold or a dual TB setup. I still be here now and still hope to get my car done, with some help. Later....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very sorry to hear about your health problems
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your poor health. I'll send some well wishes your way. Health comes before Fieros.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear that, Francis Curious if your son(s)? have any desire of picking up the torch and carrying on?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Sorry to hear that, Francis Curious if your son(s)? have any desire of picking up the torch and carrying on?

Probably not, the profit margin is too small. Although, when I told him I was thinking about selling the inventory, jigs and what-not, said no to?
Thanks to all for the support.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe let a forum member of your choice have the rights to re-produce them until such time that you choose to pass the venture on to a family member or sell the rights alltogether? I know I've heard good things about your intake. It would be a shame to lose another fine product. I can understand if someone dies unexpectedly and the product is lost. You have the opportunity to allow your design to live on. Something to think about.

Either way, I hope your health improves and you're able to enjoy your car in the future. Good luck!
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... if the torch does get passed on, I think Rodney would have access to all the resources to pull this off. This would have been my next step if I had kept the 2.8L.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there photos of these installed?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Francis,

I'm sorry to hear that your health is still messing with you. I wish you well, and hope that your design can carry on.
I wish that I knew how to weld. I'd be inclined to "pick up the torch" (not to be punny) as your manifold made it worth keeping my 3.4, instead of swapping to something else. I believe I mentioned that in another thread.
I ended up selling that car, only because I couldn't find a buyer for my 4.9 car, but I still miss it.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-17-2014).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks people for the well wishes. As for passing it on, a few problems come to mind:
A- we sold them at a lose whereas they take a lot of work to build, I did them as work of love sort-of.

Fir anyone thinking about it, here's a partial list of the work involved

After drilling holes for 6 runners, cut 6" dia main plenum in half. This was done a jig
Cut runners from J pipes -special jig-
Press ends -special jigs- into triangles to match lower intake flange
Tack weld runners to plenum and to our custom base flange
Cut and form 1.5 dia tubing into velocity stacks
Weld V-stacks to inside of runners. Complete all runner welding. Note base welds must be done on 1" thick jig
End-mill TB flange to customer's needs if greater than 47mm
Weld front plenum flange in place.
Drill and tap rear flange for 3 vacuum fittings
Weld rear plenum flange on.
Cut 3"dia TB runner and fit between TB and Intake flange, add ERG fitting if required
Cut and fit and weld TB cable brackets
Work air grinders inside of runners for smooth airflow. A PIA must do.
Mount closed base testing flange, EGR and vacuum plugs and TB testing flange.
Pressure test unit for leaks, fix leaks and clean and prep for powder coating.
Ops , make a bracket for the MAP sensor. Powder coat intake and tops of 8mm 1.25 pt
cap bolts provided.
Ops again, surface grind base -table belt sander-
I''m sure I forgot a bunch of other steps. Also, this is very tedious work, if anything is off, it either won't fit or have vacuum leaks.
I would also have to spend at least a few days with anyone wanting to buy or whatever all our inventory and jigs to insurer they can build the intakes.
Minim required machines etc, Metal lath or end mill, TIG or MIG welder, min 4" x 24" table sander, 12-14" Miter cuter with stone wheels, Drill dress, vertical 3 ton hydraulic press. Good size band saw.
Materials : 1- 6"dia x 10" Tub, 6 - 1.25" dia J-pipes, 1 -3" dia Jipe, 5 custom CNC flanges.

With the market small, I just don't see anyone stepping up to the plate. Bummer too, as the intakes work great, make the 2.8 / 3.4 come alive. Dyno proven.

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 04-20-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock