The most expensive fiero ever? by Zeak
Started on: 04-05-2014 09:03 PM
Replies: 61 (1506 views)
Last post by: California Kid on 04-12-2014 09:53 PM
Zeak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$45000
I get that it looks clean and all, but it's still just a stretched 87 with an NA 3800.
Oh and it has an automatic trans...
What do you all think?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4386200408.html

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he'll be lucky to get that price. He sure isn't too keen on shooting photo's or sizing them, had to tell just how nice the car really is. Also didn't see anything about just how used the engine is.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think he's dreaming
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks alright...

If the car was built by someone we all know and could be confident the work was done properly. And it would need a little more motivation than a 3800 NA, like maybe an LS7...then it might be worth it.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the individual that owns that is a member here but has not posted in quite some time. I remember seeing some larger photos of it a few years ago.

It's a pretty well put together car with custom touches. The custom touches - primarily in the exterior components with the custom rear and the toneau style roadster top - is what's going to limit it's market-ability however, since individuals that purchase kit cars and replicas look for authentic work. From what I can see though the rest of the car looks well put together.

If you think this is expensive though then you probably have not constructed a kit car before or priced out what it takes to build one. I can guarantee you that he did not spend below $45K assembling it. The kit is a D&R body originally, which is one of the more higher priced Diablo kit cars (aside from the NAERC). If he started the work a few years ago then he likely wasn't out the original cost of what they ran when D&R was still in business but he still probably paid a bit over what typical Diablo kits go for. That interior work likely ran him well into five figures alone and it looks really good for a Diablo replica. Somewhat simplistic, but good. The automatic transmission does seemingly detract but a lot of individuals who build and drive kit cars of this type do so for the looks, not for actual sport driving, so in this case it probably is not a hinderance. At least it's not running a Getrag or other Fiero manual trans. He does however appear to have some money tied up into the suspension work for the car, so it's not all pre-'88 Fiero underneath it and probably handles better than a good deal of Fieros out there. I would guess $60K-$65K is not an unreasonable low number for the cost of the build if he had to dish out $$ for some labor - go up or down if labor rates were more known.

In a nutshell you're probably going to have to look at this from it's market standpoint. He may not get $45,000 immediately, but if you think he's going to get somewhere around $20,000 you're mistaken. He'll sell it for well above that, or break down and find someone to trade him something roughly in the value of $40K-ish. It also looks like according to the 7th pic it's not his "first rodeo", so to speak.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes the guy who built the car is a member of this forum and his name is rodriguez.

Anyone who frequents the kit car forums knows of his build and his quality workman ship.

i agree those scoffing at the price don't know much about what it takes to complete one of these cars.

Is the car worth what he is asking ? Heck yes !

Will he get that price in this economy ?? Who knows, but all it takes is the right buyer. there rare a ton of kit car guys about to sink tons of money into building a project, when they can get an already finished one at a fraction of the price.

Rod is currently building another lambo which is probably why he is selling this one.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Is the car worth what he is asking ? Heck yes !

Will he get that price in this economy ?? Who knows, but all it takes is the right buyer. there rare a ton of kit car guys about to sink tons of money into building a project, when they can get an already finished one at a fraction of the price.

Rod is currently building another lambo which is probably why he is selling this one.

I didn't know the car so I couldn't assess the build quality. if the build is good then it's worth it. But I personally would hold out for one with a better powertrain. The auto trans alone kills it for me.
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is very nice it may look short in the pic but he did a good job building it . the owner name is "Rodriguz" on here but it is well done.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That price is actually standard for any Lamborghini turnkey. It looks great and by the way, I think a few other people have the highest price Fiero on here. One being Troy and the other Curly.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected, just because its not my cup of tea doesn't mean its over valued.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price for that particular car isn't too bad. However the na engine is disappointing for a car like that. That may be the only down fall in this economy to get that price

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That price is actually standard for any Lamborghini turnkey. It looks great and by the way, I think a few other people have the highest price Fiero on here. One being Troy and the other Curly.

I know of several Fieros with well over 50K invested.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I know of several Fieros with well over 50K invested.

I was talking street cars, not race cars You probably have $30,000 just in your motor.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was talking street cars, not race cars You probably have $30,000 just in your motor.

For street cars, anyone with a standard LS376+F40 swap from Archie, probably has close to that just in the swap.

But yeah, there are several people with well over $50K in their Fieros, particularly if any labor costs are included, and a few have definitely had over $100K put in them.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

For street cars, anyone with a standard LS376+F40 swap from Archie, probably has close to that just in the swap.

Thats true.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't a lizardo for sale at Daytona for 35,000?
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting 50k into a Fiero is just madness I say, madness....
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

Oh?

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For 50,000 I would buy a Corvette
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I was thinking just a little more and you can have a Z51 C7

I love Fiero's but I have my limits. For $45K it had better be a original track used pace car or the 1990.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

True but you would be one of many. But then again you have guys who have 100,000 corvettes when they could have just purchased a used Lambo or........ . Boys with our toys don't try to make sense out of it because you can't .
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

LOL... Now that's just FUNNY!

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3678 posts
Member since Feb 2003

I'm always left out
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told that the Dirty Rat had well over 50000 in it before I picked it up....indeed...I have reciepts from Chester for almost 28 not including the engine or custom body parts it has on it. Is it madness to spend that much on a fiero? Most certainly I would have to say, but I do like owning one that I have no where near that amount of money in. I can justify the 1100 hours or so that I have into it for labor, but I don't count that because it's my time and doesn't cost me.
In the end I hope to have a car that looks as good as Curlys or Troys but only have about 5000 in it which I feel is justifiable.

------------------
87 GT....SBC...fast as hell...
Proud new owner of....THE DIRTY RAT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

But yeah, there are several people with well over $50K in their Fieros, particularly if any labor costs are included, and a few have definitely had over $100K put in them.

Dollars spent and resale value are two very different things. Fieros are the diamonds of the car world. Typically you can hope for 10% of the money you spent on the Fiero coming back out the other end.

I'm afraid to add up what I've spent on mine, but it's probably in the $45K range and it's not even rocking an LS motor or rebody.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Dollars spent and resale value are two very different things. Fieros are the diamonds of the car world. Typically you can hope for 10% of the money you spent on the Fiero coming back out the other end.

Yes they are. While the Lambo kit in question here is a nice car, it's still a Fiero. $45K may be a reasonable price to pay for a completed kit that looks that nice, but it's a waning market, and the seller will be lucky if he gets half that for it.

A Fiero is not an investment, unfortunately.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not big fan of that Lambo body style, but it looks line he did darn good job of it. Too bad it's an automatic and not a V8! Yeah I know I've always said modified V6s are great for the Fiero, but an outrageous body style like that, needs outrageous power and 5 or 6 spd stick. I don't think his price is insane, but he's going to need to find the right buyer. Someone that can't drive a stick, and don't care that it only looks crazy fast.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

rodrieguz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrieguzSend a Private Message to rodrieguzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most cars are built for the owner @ the time of construction without a thought of ever selling. This car was a labor of love, I wanted a Diablo so bad and knew I couldn't afford a real one 10 yrs ago but I knew I had skills and could build a nice car. This car is not for everyone some like it some don't.. That's a discussion for entertainment, we as people will never like or love everything someone else does. At the end of the day our opinions are just that opinions.
I have over 50k in this car not including labor, Do I expect to get it back not at all. There are some fieros out there with way more than that , it's not about the money to a true car enthusiast it's about the Love of the hobby and pushing our limits to achieve what WE want.
I did all the work on this car myself, in a drive way and a 1 car garage. Sewed the interior in my family room. When I fist started I didn't have 50k to spend on a car but I did have a Dream, Desire, & Determination. Just because we don't like the way others do it, don't kill their dream.
The right buyer will come along eventually and the car will be sold.
rodrieguz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrieguzSend a Private Message to rodrieguzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rodrieguz

134 posts
Member since May 2003
Tony selling this one to make space, I still have the other v12 lambo but I just ordered a Vaydor g35 kit. I probably keep the orange car too and have my wife and daughter each tail me to all the car shows with 3 bad ass rides.
Sometimes I wish I could just show all my cars to the haters out there to give em more amo
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without knowing anything about the build, and having built quite a few kits myself, I think hes very high...but it is an asking price. You can buy brand new 'factory' conversions built for you...your color, interior, wheels, etc for just over $30K. Ive let cars go for 1/3 off my asking price before. I sold a '2000' Diablo roadster that was all brand new, tires, correct wheels, crate 2.8, brakes, OEM glass, Pearl Red, etc...that was all finished except for interior and driving for $7000. It was a Warlock that was 'supposed' to be the best body out there, but I felt was far short of that. It needed a few minor mechanicals fixed like a sticking caliper and some inop gauges (all SW), shifter cables, seat covers, carpet and door panels.

rodrieguz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrieguzSend a Private Message to rodrieguzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ifg kits/cars are no where in the league to be called replicas at most it looks like a Diablo, but the body was sculpted and very poorly . Please show us were you can get a quality built Diablo replica built from a factory for 30k. I will show you a scam if you can. Anyone who has built a good replica before knows what it takes to do it.

[This message has been edited by rodrieguz (edited 04-07-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodriegus, any chance you could bring the car to gateway classic car grand opening may 10th offallon il. (if notsold by then) the Stlouis fiero guys plan on being there. Would love to see that car! Im sure you would enjoy the cars he has there.
rodrieguz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodrieguzSend a Private Message to rodrieguzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just there last week, glad they moved closer to me. If there aren't any family events planned I will try to bring the car. Hate I missed the fiero meetomg couple weeks ago. I just sold my Fiero thoughfor a new toy.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodrieguz:
Please show us were you can get a quality built Diablo replica built from a factory for 30k. I will show you a scam if you can. Anyone who has built a good replica before knows what it takes to do it.

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont have a dog in this BUT I can tell you this you won't find ANY well built diablo replica for 30K Not gonna happen, and if you do you can bet there will be MAJOR corners cut. I spent 5 years building an award winning D&R diablo, I had over 50K plus the time it took.

I try not to bash others work cause in the end it's what you like! Rod is a perfectionist and anyone that really knows anything about replicas will tell you this is a quality build thru & thru, nothing has been hacked like so many have done. Will the car sell for 45K ? only time will tell but I can tell you this it aint gonna sell for 30K

There is an old saying "you get what you pay for" If you buy a crappy replica for 7k then what you have is a crappy replica plain and simple and I am not throwing stones at anyone in particular. Just my 2 cents worth
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not knocking your car, simply saying you can buy a lot cheaper. There all over EBay (at least were last I looked) for high $20s to low $30s brand new. I know what they cost, Ive built 6. I had just over $32K in my custom 308 Ferrari and sold it for $10K to someone on the forum. I spent $20K + on my Lambo as it was. I had $25K in a GT40 I remade with a Porsche 911 drivetrain and sold it for that all finished except it did need the Webers rebuilt. I also had $20K in a custom Fiero GT V8...all new bumper to bumper I sold with 4000 miles on it for $5000 at a car auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rep...rucks#ht_1512wt_1030

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rep..._Trucks#ht_59wt_1030

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rep...Trucks#ht_722wt_1030

https://www.carsforsale.com...countach_225136775_1

Yes I realize these are not the final selling prices, but bidding isnt very hot either.

Your quality may be superb, but I have no way of knowing any more than I know about these.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-07-2014).]

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Roger help me to understand of the 3 cars you just quoted you had roughly $77,000.00 in those 3 cars and you chose to sell them for roughly $27,000.00 ?? Man You either have TONS of cash to burn!! Or am I missing something? That is a $50,000.00 LOSS on your part, Now what about the other three cars you built? Same result? Not bashing just asking cause spending money and loosing like that would cause me to go into another line of work. I'm just saying.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger, you said: "You can buy brand new 'factory' conversions built for you...your color, interior, wheels, etc for just over $30K." None of these links prove that.

The first link you posted has a Diablo that's unpainted, doesn't have a completed interior, runs but is not street worthy and is being sold as-is with a starting bid at $11.5K... apples to oranges here.

The second link is for an LP 640 with a starting bid of $31.3K... that's likely not the price he's willing to sell it for... until someone places a bid there's no telling how high his reserve price is... it could be $60K.

The third link is for a Diablo with a current bid of $35K with the reserve NOT MET. You can't assume anything about how high the reserve is... it may be $80K.

The fourth link isn't even in the same league as second and third link you provided, nor is it close to Rodrieguz' car.

How do any of these cars support what you said earlier?

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

So Roger help me to understand of the 3 cars you just quoted you had roughly $77,000.00 in those 3 cars and you chose to sell them for roughly $27,000.00 ?? Man You either have TONS of cash to burn!! Or am I missing something? That is a $50,000.00 LOSS on your part, Now what about the other three cars you built? Same result? Not bashing just asking cause spending money and loosing like that would cause me to go into another line of work. I'm just saying.

I agree! Holy cow!

------------------

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rogers second link came up for discussion on the mad mechanics forum and the authority on the subject murcie-me warned everyone about it. Factory $30,000? There have been lots of them sold for that price that the buyer never got to see. There is no other business that has as many outright scammers and thieves in it as the replica business. OK, that might be an exageration, but it's really bad. Anyone who is buying one should be knowledgeable and only exchange money when they actually get the car. I believe Rodriguez and that would still apply for me.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock