Fiero Odometer Question by jon2009
Started on: 04-03-2014 02:53 PM
Replies: 11 (723 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-04-2014 09:59 PM
jon2009

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

i recently bought a fiero, finally got it out of storage. the car only has one previous owner. The issue is that on the used vehicle information package (Carfax). There was only one entry found when the mileage was recorded. And the mileage recorded is higher than the one on the car. I asked the seller, and he told me the mileage was entered in wrong. How can i check if thats the case. Is there a vin number on the actual odometer?. Can the odometer be rolled back easily?.

Any suggestions or tips.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no VIN on the odometer that I know of, and YES the odometer is easy to roll back. Many Fiero buyers have discovered that their cars have had the odometers rolled back. The only way I know the mileage on my Fiero is correct is that I bought the car new and have a note book full of reciepts with mileage recorded when work was done. Unles you have such a record on your car, you are at the mercy of the seller's statement.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being in Ontario the sellers package might be of help
jon2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, i purchased the UVIP, and thats where i found the mileage recorded.

currently the odometer reading is 118,000 km.

in the UVIP, it's stated that it was 178000 back in 2008.

the seller says it was a mistake, it should of been 78,000.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon2009:

The issue is that on the used vehicle information package (Carfax). There was only one entry found when the mileage was recorded.

I wouldn't rely on Carfax for much of anything. Have a look at the thread below.

Can someone run a Carfax for me?

You could try another pay service, such as CarProof.

One way in BC to check mileage figures is to enter the VIN into our smog test site... HERE. If Ontario has something similar you might be able to try that as well.
jon2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon2009Send a Private Message to jon2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I wouldn't rely on Carfax for much of anything. Have a look at the thread below.

Can someone run a Carfax for me?

You could try another pay service, such as CarProof.

One way in BC to check mileage figures is to enter the VIN into our smog test site... HERE. If Ontario has something similar you might be able to try that as well.

Thanks for the advice. But the emission tests dont show the mileage.

is there any big difference between the UVIP vs Carfax/Carproof

Is it worth the investment.

would it possibly give me different results from the UVIP
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the advice. But the emission tests dont show the mileage.

In BC, the yearly smog tests available online (dating back a lot of years) show info on the vehicle including mileage. Comes in handy occasionally.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yes, i purchased the UVIP, and thats where i found the mileage recorded.

currently the odometer reading is 118,000 km.

in the UVIP, it's stated that it was 178000 back in 2008.

the seller says it was a mistake, it should of been 78,000.

Without any evidence to the contrary I believe the seller. It's doubtful that someone went to all the trouble to roll back the odometer 100,000km and that no one would notice. That is what 62,000 miles? That's a lot of miles and I think it would be obvious if the car really had that much mileage.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about Canada , but here in the US the BMV makes mistakes on mileage all the time.
some one doesn't pay attention when they type things in and the problem starts.
When you report it some people just guess so that also doesn't help.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Many Fiero buyers have discovered that their cars have had the odometers rolled back.

Can you tell if it has been rolled back by taking some stuff out and looking at the odometer parts?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In PA we have to submit our mileage and Insurance carrier name once a year to get registration. And once a year during inspection and emission testing the mileage is recorded and also put on the windshield stickers. Plenty of areas to verify mileage plus collision repairs I believe they record the mileage and date if insurance is involved.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've sold many speedometer clusters and I always ask the customer what mileage to put on the odometer so that they can maintain the correct mileage. If done properly there is no way to detect that the odometer has been rolled back...it only takes a couple of minutes to do the whole job if you are holding the cluster in your hand.

Still it seems doubtful that someone would commit a felony by rolling it back to deceive the buyer. And in Texas the mileage is not recorded on the title when the car is sold after 10 years. They will record it during safety inspection though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock