New member. Help and info?? by ATH87fiero
Started on: 04-02-2014 11:31 AM
Replies: 4 (188 views)
Last post by: ATH87fiero on 04-02-2014 02:24 PM
ATH87fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ATH87fieroSend a Private Message to ATH87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone! Just bought my dream car over the weekend and I'm excited to get started. It is a 1987 gt (fastback) with no motor/trans. I spent 300$ on this diamond in the rough, but it should be salvageable. I'm looking for any and ALL info you veterans can give me, so please assume that I know absolutely nothing about anything car related (which is not true). There is no better way to learn and gain information. Anyways, I'm so excited about this project that I just purchased a 6speed transmission from a 2006 g6 for $500. I am planning on running a 3800 s/c engine for the time being. Few quick questions, did I just get in over my head or is this 100% possible with parts available? Should I have went with a different trans? Prolly should've asked before I jumped on this transmission, but I heard I shouldn't let it get away from me since it was so cheap. Any and all help and info is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!!

-Aaron
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with reading other 3800 swap threads. Theres alot of questions at this point, a car that wasnt running and driving when purchased means not much is known about what works and what doesnt. What is your budget? How much know how/tools, etc do you have?

I suggest you get another Fiero to drive while you work on this one, its a safe bet it could be quite a while til she's done.

a sample thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000130.html

ATH87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ATH87fieroSend a Private Message to ATH87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been researching here and there for years now. I have good "how to" skills as well as any tools that I would need. I really have no budget just not trying to spend a small fortune. I guess I'm just wondering if I should just go back to what was in it originally, the 4 speed. Not too worried about getting it done anytime soon, I've always thought the longer you wait, the better the results lol. I'm also looking for info that I may need to know that I don't already. Sorry if I'm being short and giving little info....

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No prob, I havent swapped anything myself.
Looks like your main question is the difficulty of using that 6 speed transmission, I'm sure someone will know.
ATH87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ATH87fieroSend a Private Message to ATH87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't "purchased" it yet. I have it on hold with a deposit. I think I'll cancel it and go a different route. :/ switching to an automatic is out of the question, I've wanted a stick for far too long.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock