Replies: 61 (4321 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-04-2015 10:50 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hadn't driven my Fiero for over 3 months and as it turned out that killed my battery. I was very happy with this battery: it was 85Ah and had 800 SAE CCA. I never had any starting problems.

As it turns out, this particular battery is no longer sold. So I'm looking at alternatives. The battery before this one was 70Ah and had 640 SAE CCA but I had a lot more problems with it. I can find batteries with high CCA but a lot lower Ah. I absolutely want the higher CCA but what about Ah? What's the disadvantage of high/low Ah? Does high Ah strain the alternator more? Does low Ah cause any problems?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know what brands are available in the Old Country, but I have found that who made it was more important than the numbers they said it produced.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall 757 is correct. You would be surprised to find out that most brands are made by one or two manufactures. I have the Optima dry cell. Seems to be working ok.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 03-31-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Interstate MT-75 Battery has a 56Ah capacity with 650 Cold Cranking Amps. I haven't had any problems with starting it even when it was colder. The Ah is just the capacity of the battery. For cold weather climates like yours, I would just get the battery with the most Cold Cranking Amps.
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Optima Yellow top. Bought it almost 10 years ago for another car with a lot of stereo equipment. It has been in the Fiero for a while now. Has never given me problems even though I have ran it dead several times.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original Delco batteries from GM have lasted well for me in several cars since I bought my first Fiero in May '84. I'm still driving that '84 SE 2.5L 4 speed with 363,500 kilometers on it. I replaced it's original battery with a lifetime guaranteed battery from Canadian Tire - it's had a few freebies since. Other than that, I get the Delco OE spec replacements.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

The original Delco batteries from GM have lasted well for me in several cars since I bought my first Fiero in May '84. I'm still driving that '84 SE 2.5L 4 speed with 363,500 kilometers on it. I replaced it's original battery with a lifetime guaranteed battery from Canadian Tire - it's had a few freebies since. Other than that, I get the Delco OE spec replacements.

If memory serves me, the original Delco and the old Sears DieHard were manufactured by the same company and I thought it was Delco.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might try Walmart Ever Start, made by Johnson Controls. Yellow case. I have had very good luck with these over the last 10 years.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason I want high Ah is because I don't drive my Fiero much (no need to) and it often just sits in the garage for weeks at end. A lower Ah battery will drain a lot sooner. That's why I was wondering if a high Ah battery strains your alternator more.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt he's got a wal-mart near by, considering where he lives. He might not be able to get the same brands we do, at least without paying through the nose. Yes, there's only maybe 2 battery makers in north america, but since he's not here, that's a moot point.

Batteries over here don't usually show an amp-hour rating, unless you're buying a deep-cycle (Marine/RV use). Most of them are "starting" batteries and, comparatively, don't have a very large reserve capacity. A deep cycle ought to outlast a starting battery, but usually doesn't have a high of a CCA rating as a same size starting battery. It'll also weight a lot more. 50lbs deep cycle group 24 vs 30 or 35lbs for a starting battery the same size. So buy a starting battery if you want high CCAs.

I'd gauge the quality of the battery on it's warranty. Cheap ones have a shorter warrnty - like 1 year or 3 years pro-rated. A decent one will have 6 years or more. I have a 6-year pro-rated battery that's about 10 years old now and still going strong. Of course, you'll end up paying for the quality difference up front.

All that being said, if you want real longevity, have a look into AGM batteries. They can put out just as man CCAs, survive accidental discharges a lot better and have a lower self-discharge rate than a flooded battery. Note that AGM is not the same as a Gel battery. The AGM that comes standard in any Miata/MX5 have a typical life span of 10+ years. Of course, they're twice the price of a regular battery, but they will pay themselves off eventually.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stubby79

7064 posts
Member since Aug 2008

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

The reason I want high Ah is because I don't drive my Fiero much (no need to) and it often just sits in the garage for weeks at end. A lower Ah battery will drain a lot sooner. That's why I was wondering if a high Ah battery strains your alternator more.

It won't strain your altenator more. It'll have to work longer to charge it up after being discharged, simply to replace what's been taken out of it, but after it's topped up, it won't make a difference. If anything, it'll be easier on the alt in the long run, simply because any time you have a high demand on the electrical system there's plenty of reserve left in the battery for it to draw on, whereas a small battery could end up with more of a voltage drop sooner, meaning the alt would have to compensate that much more.

Most of the time, you won't notice a difference, unless you're running big stereo equipment or if your alt fails. If your alt fails while you're out driving, that's when you'd want a deep cycle/larger reserve(amp-hour) capacity. That and when it's sitting for weeks on end without a charger to keep it topped up. You'll have that much longer to drive until the engine/fuel pump/lights quit than you would with a typical starting battery.

Look for high CCA, and high reserve minutes/AH. The higher the better, assuming you don't mid any extra weight and or size.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running Interstates in my GT and my Van - never had problems with them and it's been a few years.

I have AC Delco in the Indy. Got another on warranty the second year (think it went flat and froze in the winter).
The new AC has had no problems. I keep a battery tender on them during the winter months when not driven.

Top 7 brands here:
http://www.carsdirect.com/c...-lasting-performance

Consumer Reports PDF here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/...ery-cr-batteries.pdf

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-01-2014).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since my Fieros also sit, I bought Battery Tenders and keep them plugged so the battery stays charged. http://batterytender.com/products/automotive.html

They can be found on Ebay. I have tried other brands and they failed.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 04-01-2014).]

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, a few years back back I picked up a battery tender of my car. It sits in the garage all winter, and i would go out and run it once or twice a week to keep it charged. Doing that I would have to replace the alternator every three years. I paid around thirty dollars for the tender that mounted in the car and and and the battery so all I had to do was plug it in and when I wanted to drive it, just unplug it and drive away. Now, even if it will sit in the garage for a few days I plug it in, and I haven't replace an alt. for 6 or 7 years.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is that my car sits in a public garage, so I don't have anything to plug the battery tender into.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you disconnect the battery? That little bit of discharge will always be there......

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you park it for winter you can take the battey home with you and keep it charged and warm. Bring it back when you come to get the car. You'd just have any computer re-learn stuff happen again in the spring.
There are also solar battery tenders, but likley that wont work in an off site storage either.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-01-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is remove battery and use battery tender to maintain the charge.

storing car in winter, More common is battery freezing.
as charge level goes down, freezing point of electrolyte goes up.

cold weather + radio and ECM will draw enough MA to let the battery freeze after a month or two.
battery freezes = junk.
Do Not try to charge a frozen battery even when thawed out later. Total dead battery is a big safety problem. if you try anyway... use low amp charger, charge Outside in a trash bin. If battery blows then bin can help keep pieces and acid in the bin.

Ah spec is similar to reserve capacity spec... See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery
Yes, In US Ah spec is mostly on "deep cycle" batteries. To meet EU rules Ah spec applies to all car batteries.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-01-2014).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, sorry for the Walmart reference. You might try the Euro version, can't remember the name right now.

The suggested Battery Tenders do a great job maintaining the battery in the off season. Use them all the time here both for Fieros and boat battery. Though the batteries will not last forever I'm positive they add to the longevity.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The problem is that my car sits in a public garage, so I don't have anything to plug the battery tender into.

If you could get owner's permission to install a 12 volt Solar unit on roof of building, that might be a solution (small wires down to car shouldn't be too difficult), they aren't very expensive.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 04-02-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd get a quick disconnect for the battery. You also might consider something like an Optima Yellowtop. It's not as high AH as the Redtop, but it's designed for deep cycle discharge/charging.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Might try Walmart Ever Start, made by Johnson Controls. Yellow case. I have had very good luck with these over the last 10 years.

Also using Ever Start.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently, the one I have in my car now (the dead one) (link), is no longer being made, and I'm left with only two alternatives.

A "cheap" ($110) 72Ah, 680 CCA battery (link), or the very expensive ($245) but very good Optima RT50F (link) with 50h (equals to about 90Ah in normal batteries) and 815 CCA.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11608 posts
Member since Jan 99
So any advice on which option (of the above two) would be best? I want to order the battery tomorrow so I will have it on monday.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see Ah listed on spec sheets here in the US. and the CCA is the same....so I would go for the cheap one...if it fits. There is a size code used here, and the Fiero is 75...
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would get the Optima since it has everything you are looking for. But if the Optima becomes discharged real low you will need to charge it back to life with an AGM Battery Charger or by parallel charging using a standard flooded battery on a trickle charger like a Battery Tender. If the "cheap" battery becomes deeply discharged it might end up turn into expensive junk.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Apparently, the one I have in my car now (the dead one) (link), is no longer being made, and I'm left with only two alternatives.

A "cheap" ($110) 72Ah, 680 CCA battery (link), or the very expensive ($245) but very good Optima RT50F (link) with 50h (equals to about 90Ah in normal batteries) and 815 CCA.

"(equals to about 90Ah in normal batteries)" How you figure? Ah calc's are EU rules spec.
Red top Optima is "normal" starting battery. Yellow top on Dk Gray case is "hybrid" of starting battery and Deep cycle.
See Optima color chart in Cave, Battery

Any lead acid battery can freeze in winter.
Cold weather alone will cut power available (Ah rating are calc at room temp... 25°C (77°F)) then add backup power to radio and ECM... Low charge means acid is now water and water will freeze very easy. AAA and most Auto Clubs get most dead battery calls in Winter for this reason. I don't drive much so I use battery tender to keep full charge this winter. You said no plug etc so you need to remove it.

AGM types like Optima still use wet electrolyte, Just less of it. Think that might save them but Optima is tight construction so maybe no.
AGM can get damage by dropping etc but any cracks won't leak acid and many AGM doesn't care much about being upside down etc. Good thing when you remove battery next winter.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

"(equals to about 90Ah in normal batteries)" How you figure? Ah calc's are EU rules spec.

I have no idea. It's what it said on some specsheet. I'll look it up.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no idea. It's what it said on some specsheet. I'll look it up.

The Optima Battery you posted is a 78 Group Size Battery. Its a bit bigger than the stock Fiero battery group size 75

Here are the specs from Optima.

Capacity: 50Ah
CCA: 800 amps

Source: http://d26maze4pb6to3.cloud...Full_Specs_Sheet.pdf

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 04-03-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I run the Optima red tops in my cars. I just replaced the one in my Formula after 8 years.
I still would recommend a disconnect, especially on anything that isn't a deep cycle battery (which includes most "car" batteries and the Red top)
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I would get the Optima since it has everything you are looking for. But if the Optima becomes discharged real low you will need to charge it back to life with an AGM Battery Charger or by parallel charging using a standard flooded battery on a trickle charger like a Battery Tender. If the "cheap" battery becomes deeply discharged it might end up turn into expensive junk.

A cheap, "dumb" trickle(1 or 2 amps) charger will do the trick. It won't turn itself off like a battery tender would do.

If you're going to disconnect it frequently, you can get a disconnect switch like they use on "race" cars, probably under $20. save messing around with the terminals and a wrench every time. Or if you're going to pull it out frequently, you could set it up with a quick disconnect plug like they use on battery equipment.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

The Optima Battery you posted is a 78 Group Size Battery. Its a bit bigger than the stock Fiero battery group size 75

Length: 10.018"
Width: 7.262"
Height: 7.215"

Length and height are OK, but I'm unsure about width. It's about 10mm (0.4") wider than the battery I have now.

Anyone know what the max dimensions are for the battery in a Fiero?
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an optima in my Fiero before. The one that fits has both types of posts, top and side and here in the US it's listed as series 75/25. The one you linked too is just a side post.
I tried fitting a 78 size battery in the Fiero before, borrowed it from my Roadmaster. It was too big to even get on the battery tray.
I checked Optima's dutch site and I think you want the RT U 3.7
http://www.optimabatteries....No=28&modeltype=4133
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which of these three would you choose:

Optima RT U 3.7 ($240) (link)

• Lasts up to 3 times longer than other batteries.
  • More power in the initial 1, 2, 5 and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead-acid batteries.
  • Constant performance quality keeps your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
  • Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged it can remain unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a vehicle.
  • 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.
  • Nonspillable with complete fitment flexibility; can mount in almost any position.

Voltage (V)                   : 12
Cold Cranking Amps @ -18°C (A): 730
Cranking Amps @ 0°C (A) : 910
Reserve Capacity (Minutes) : 90
Capacity (C/20 Rate) (Ah) : 44
Internal Resistance (ohms) : 0.003
Type Post/Terminal : Dual SAE & GM
BCI Group : 75/25
Minimum Weight : 15 kg
Length (mm) : 237 mm
Width (mm) : 171 mm
Height (mm) : 197 mm

Varta Blue Dynamic E12 ($142) (link)

• Designed for vehicles of all classes
  • Optimal cold cranking power up to 110% compared to conventional batteries
  • PowerFrame® technology
  • Meets OE requirements

Cold Cranking Amps EN [A] : 680
Capacity (Ah) : 74
Type Post/Terminal : Dual SAE
Minimum Weight : 17,87 kg
Length (mm) : 278 mm
Width (mm) : 175 mm
Height (mm) : 190 mm
Base Hold Down : B13

57219 Generic (China) ($128)

Cold Cranking Amps EN [A] : 640
Capacity (Ah) : 70
Type Post/Terminal : Dual SAE
Minimum Weight : 17,1 kg
Length (mm) : 278 mm
Width (mm) : 175 mm
Height (mm) : 190 mm
Base Hold Down : B13

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only one with gm screw ins is the optima? It would win. I believe the optima only has a 3yr warranty but you wont have to worry about acid leakage. Id see about a solar charger. Can you park in the garage near a window or source of sun? If you cant do solar charger, what about a quick disconnect battery cable? Just unscrew the cable when its stored.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 04-07-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He said Public parking....
Outside of car then any charger can be safety issue or target for thieves.
If using car cover or car is buried in snow then solar power has problems.
If you can see the battery, just any part to ID it thru Fiero engine vent, Optima can be a bigger target for thieves.

Optima says "fully charged it can remain unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a vehicle."
Winter time can still die and freeze after months of parking.

Again, Optima wins because AGM types won't leak even when case is cracked.
You should remove it for winter.
Keep it warm and should be ok. Make Sure it's charged for storage.

Be careful storing the battery. Remember a shorted battery dumps 200 amps and more. Worse, Many Kids likes sparks.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

The only one with gm screw ins is the optima? It would win.

My Fiero has been converted and uses the round post clamps. I had actually installed these on my previous battery:

The only reason I want the side terminals is because it's a better fit and the cables don't have to be run in an angle.

I know the Optima is the better battery, but the price difference is huge. I only drive the Fiero for about 2,000 miles per year so I'm wondering if a cheap battery with a quick disconnect plug wouldn't be a wiser investment.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't get it... why do you need a battery if your just going to take the train?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

I don't get it... why do you need a battery if your just going to take the train?

How do you think I get to the train station?
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you were to get the more affordable battery, Cliff. I would remove it when you go to store the Fiero, then just keep it indoors at home and you could hook it up to Battery Tender if you wanted to. Even if you were to have a quick disconnect on the battery, the cold temperatures will still take their toll on the battery's longevity.

If you didn't want to unbolt the battery every time and risk stripping the threads on the battery. Something like this would be very effective

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ter...t-duty-/350200735910
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock