Autocross Season 2014 by thedrue
Started on: 03-31-2014 01:47 AM
Replies: 12 (454 views)
Last post by: thedrue on 09-04-2014 01:38 AM
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spring is here and with it comes Autocross! I figured I would use this thread to document this season and would love to see others autocross videos this year.

Without further ado......... ORPCA Autocross #2 at Portland International Raceway. All 7 runs experimenting with the GoPro mount locations.

The weather was good but the surface was damp, between that and my old wasted Star Specs there was not much grip. I will be using these tires for the rest of the season and getting fresh rubber next winter.

The car ran extremely well but is definitely a bit of a handful especially in these slick conditions, it would not hook up in second gear when the boost came on. Just spins the rear tires.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh Memories. Back when a lot of you people werent around yet I ran a 69 Z/28. Until I married first wife. Then in the summer of 2000 talked lady friend now wife into splitting the cost of a Used CRXSI and we did ran that in the summer of 2000. She says she kinda misses it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

Spring is here and with it comes Autocross!

They have autocross here year round, but after a couple of times on wet courses I'm only interested in running on dry tracks. The first time for me this year will be May 10th. I'm looking real forward to it as this will be my first time in my 5-spd Formula after running a 5-spd '84 duke the last four years.

Some interesting angles in your video.

With the offset you're running, do your front tires ever rub the inside of your fenders? (Looks like enough of a gap in the back.)
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which camera are you using to capture those angles and get such a wide angle? I really like how your video turned out, it looked awesome. That said, do you have a build log here on the forums? I'm curious as to engine/turbo/etc. You've got a clean, pretty beastly car.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My front wheels are 35mm offset. They used to rub so I machined 3mm off the back side making them 38mm offset. Between that and the tires doing a bit of clearancing there are no current issues.

As for the camera it is a GoPro hero 3+ black with the GoPro suction cup mount. Great little cam. We use it with a roll bar mount in our chumpcar.

There is lots of info on my cars on here. I will add some links when I'm on my computer. Let's just say I'm very happy with how this car is performing and I look forward to continuing to develop my driving skills and push the car farther this season.

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 04-02-2014).]

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have attended a couple more auto crosses since my last post. Both with different cars!

The first was April 13 with the Oregon region of the SCCA. My wife was free that weekend and I convinced her to come and we would both drive her new BRZ. She has always been a bit skeptical but it seems like she might just be hooked. She has taken much more interest in car stuff now that she has a fun car of her own to play with and enjoy.

This is her runs, the go pro battery died before her last run, but she continued to improve and was driving great!

There she with her car, its Fiero related, note the Fierofest shirt she's wearing!

This is me in her car. The BRZ is a wonderful car and we are both really enjoying it.

I ran just last sunday in the Chumpcar. I was planning on running my red turbo fiero but at the last minute Justin with Team Pontiaxed convinced me to race the chump car and Im glad I did. Miss Fieroline is such a great car and we are looking forward to getting back out on track with her.

This is shaping up to be a very exciting autocross season in Portland!

Just rolling both cars out of the shop on the way to the autocross

Yours truly strapped in and ready to go!

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 04-28-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I ran just last sunday in the Chumpcar.... Miss Fieroline is such a great car and we are looking forward to getting back out on track with her.

I enjoyed watching the video of you driving Miss Fieroline. However, with the way the car got squirrley on the wet blacktop, I'd be terrified of those lamp posts in the parking lot!
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lamp posts aren't a big issue. The course designers are careful to make sure the course doesn't come very close. It is definitely up to the driver to be aware and not take big risks!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is definitely up to the driver to be aware and not take big risks!

Someone forgot to tell this guy...

thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like 100% driver error. Looked like he got sideways and panicked and probably mashed the gas instead of the brakes. It's too bad but totally avoidable. It's one reason I autocross so I know how the car will react at the limits and evasive driving becomes second nature. No panicking here!
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the SOLO 2 thing at PIR back in 1998 with a very unhappy Mustang but it was a lot of fun. I may do it again sometime in the future with my 85 SE Fiero!
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some videos from the last couple autocrosses at PIR. The Porsche club puts on a great event but unfortunately the weather has been less than cooperative. My red car is a handful in the wet but we are finally getting some dry weekends.

I was fairly unhappy with my performance on this event, I never did really adapt to the wet conditions and spent far too much time sliding and not enough time racing.

Finally some dry weather! The car felt great and I was very happy with the way it went. It helps that my lovely wife was able to join me in her BRZ, she did very well but was unable to match my times, I fear that if she does this too much I will have some stiff competition!

Just a few shots of the cars together, although the BRZ weighs the same as my Fiero it is larger in every dimension.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im a bit late with this one, its been a busy month and the weekend after this video was taken we had some serious engine trouble with this race car so I have been a bit discouraged. But no fear the car will be racing again at the end of october.

This was a great event, we got 3 of our 4 drivers together to push the car at the autocross and get a feel for the handling. Boy does it handle!

This is the Oregon Porsche Club event #6 here at Portland International Raceway

The car ran awesome and I have never done this well in an autocross I finished 6th in class and Rick finished 22nd, Katey finished 24nd out of 32 entrys in our class.

http://www.oregonpca.org/ev...ax6-summary-results/
Here are the results so you can see how our race car stacked up against the other cars.

There are just 2 auto crosses left in the season, I plan to be at both of them, not sure what car Ill be driving yet.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock