Fiero Over-The-Roof Scoops!!! by DKcustoms
Started on: 03-30-2014 10:12 AM
Replies: 40 (4334 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-14-2017 02:09 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Despite a few members attempts to out-bid me, I have acquired two of these scoops from a gentleman by the name of Mike Z in Pennsylvania.

My research has shown that these only came on the Indy Pace Cars.
Seeing that there were only 2,000 cars made, and 2 per car, only 4,000 of these scoops were made.
Obviously not all of these scoops still exist, so I feel pretty fortunate.

One of them as some kinda-serious damage, the other is pretty nominal.

I was planning to sand them down and use body filler to fix them.
Am I wrong, or what would work better?

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 03-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These were not GM parts. The Indy roof scoop was in the center.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/064078.html
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

These were not GM parts. The Indy roof scoop was in the center.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/064078.html

Well that's a buzz kill

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:ylvania.

My research has shown that these only came on the Indy Pace Cars.
Seeing that there were only 2,000 cars made, and 2 per car, only 4,000 of these scoops were made.
Obviously not all of these scoops still exist, so I feel pretty fortunate.

You definately need to do some more research on these ....
1. They were NOT on Indys .... the indy pace car had one in the CENTER of the deck lid with a strobe light in its center.
2. The ones you bought will inject air into an opening made to EXPELL heat .....therefore may cause your engine to overheat due to be unable to extract the hot air fron the engine.....

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 03-31-2014).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Well that's a buzz kill

LOL! Whoops!

Kevin
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres hoping you didn't overpay for them.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT 1984 Corvette
2003 PT Dream Cruser #1801 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
1998 Ford F150 Super Cab V8 4X4

FieroNews

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

Heres hoping you didn't overpay for them.

I agree. However there has been quite a few requests for these in the mall so you might be able to sell these fairly quick.....or keep them and enjoy them.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

You definately need to do some more research on these ....
1. They were NOT on Indys .... the indy pace car had one in the CENTER of the deck lid with a strobe light in its center.
2. The ones you bought will inject air into an opening made to EXPELL heat .....therefore may cause your engine to overheat due to be unable to extra the hot air fron the engine.....

Still some wrong ideas on these.

They were made for 84's that have the center vent on the decklid. The side panels were solid.
If you open them up and mount the scoops, you'll have lots of air going in the sides, and coming out the center vent.
Obviously no overheating when you have the center vent on the car that the scoops were made for.

Yeah - NOT a GM part. But they can be more functional than the GM center scoop. It's only purpose was for the lights.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-30-2014).]

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im sure any kinda decklid center vent (i.e.the common reverse mustang scoop, etc) would make this very functional, that and they just kinda look badass, even if not OEM.... wonder if they would fit on a fastback?
DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My idea is eventually, once I get my car running, to hook up the left scoop to the intake, and run the right to move air into the engine bay.
Those would force air in and then hot air would be expelled through a vent in the hood like other people are doing

Back to my first point, would body filler be fine to repair these?

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 03-30-2014).]

boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those scoops were made by Driven Visions that was in Duluth,MN until the owner died. I purchased and installed 5 sets over the years. They are very hard to find now being no one produces them anymore. I sold a new extra set I had on eBay 2 years ago for a small fortune. You need to have a center vent in the decklid for these scoops to work properly.
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Back to my first point, would body filler be fine to repair these?

what are they made of?
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id build it back up and patch with Kitty hair , then sand and level with body filler.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My idea is eventually, once I get my car running, to hook up the left scoop to the intake, and run the right to move air into the engine bay.
Those would force air in and then hot air would be expelled through a vent in the hood like other people are doing

That's exactly how mine are set up. Late 80's Cavaliers had a similar V6 air can with open top.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-31-2014).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

That's exactly how mine are set up. Late 80's Cavaliers had a similar V6 air can with open top.

Beautiful, thank you sir.

How do you secure you scoops to your vents?
Does the hood get in the way or is there enough clearance to open it? (been busy at work and havent been able to test-fit them on the car yet)
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How do you secure you scoops to your vents?
Does the hood get in the way or is there enough clearance to open it?

Drill the holes, bolt 'em on. They're a pain to maneuver into place afterwards.

Unlike the Indy center scoop, these don't interfere with opening the decklid at all.

It's all in my build thread.

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drill the holes, bolt 'em on. They're a pain to maneuver into place afterwards.

Unlike the Indy center scoop, these don't interfere with opening the decklid at all.

Idk if I'm just going to drill holes and bolt 'em on :P but I'm glad to know that works.

And that's what I was thinking! Looking at the shapes I was thinking the hood would open right passed them...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And that's what I was thinking! Looking at the shapes I was thinking the hood would open right passed them...

Yup.

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mint.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a after market "INDY" scoop. I made the ugly box on the side.

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is your neighborhood missing a stop sign? lol
PFF
System Bot
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After Katrina it was missing a lot of stuff.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see some use of some stuff after that tragedy . I was in Houma La. when she came in. thats the closest i dared to go south. Had friends in slidell that lost everything including a life of a family member. But some good news , had a friend that contracted for fema at a impound lot in N.O. , 2 fieros unclaimed were saved from being crushed by a guy from TX. because he drove a ways to look at them they combined the lot fee to the price of one car he bought both for 250.00 he also mentioned that a all Original Buick Regal GNX Grand National was never claimed and because of guidelines employees or contractors of Fema or their Imed family's couldnt purchase unclaimed cars from the impound lot and it was crushed.He said the ID badge on the dash indicated it was in the 030's.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not see it stated but the two scoop set up was called the "Fi-Air-O Scoops. I think that was how it was spelled back in the day. If you get lucky they are in some of the older FOCA magazines and in some Fiero aftermarket catalogs from the 80's.

I remember these back in the day.

The truth is there was no factory scoop. The Indy scoop was used by Pontiac and it was originally made by DGP. There were several versions Pontiac used on prototypes, pace cars and IMSA Race cars. They were intended for the IMSA GTU cars but were never approved for competition. I heard several stories about them but nothing concrete. A few dealers did offer them in their service departments but most were sold direct from DGP.

The tooling was sold to IRM and now it is at the Fiero Warehouse. They are still available.

I got the last one DGP made and sold to IRM with the tooling. I got it just before they started making their own. Or at least that is the story the guy at IRM told me back in the late 80's.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While moving, wouldn't the air go past the engine and carry heat out the bottom of the car ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-03-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

While moving, wouldn't the air go past the engine and carry heat out the bottom of the car ?

Good point. Possibly. Pressurized air WILL find a way out of the engine bay when the car is MOVING.
These were designed for the 84's that have a CENTER vent in the decklid anyway...

I don't recall anyone who installed these on later non-vent decklids reporting overheating problems in spite of everyone saying "you can't do that".

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-07-2015).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More than likely, I think I'll set up both scoops without a hood vent for a while and see what my operating temp is with an UltraGauge.
If it runs hot then I'll get around to the hood vent a little sooner.
IRMFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IRMFieroKidSend a Private Message to IRMFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am the eldest daughter of Jim Sutter...and new to the forum.

I have been having a ball catching up on some of these threads.

These dual scoops were sold by IRM for a while too, but mom couldn't remember the original supplier. I had a pair on my 86 and loved that they made my little car look unique in a sea of red Fieros.

I wish I still had that car.

Janet
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So ludicrous to see folks write and/or imply the car would overheat with these if you have a solid (non-84) decklid.

You could argue that the underhood temps would be higher (arguable), and perhaps cause premature part failures (arguable), but whether the car "overheats" is dependent on the health of the coolant system. Whether hot air is extracted through vents, or cold air forced in through scoops, is at worst going to cause the engine to heat faster on hot days and cause the thermostat to open more and fan to run more. If those work fine, scoops aren't going to hurt anything.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to check with Dan or Jimmy.s over at Fiero Fiberglass, because I believe they purchased all the Driven Vision molds and parts. I could be wrong, but that is what my feeble memory recalls. Not sure if this part was part of that haul or if they are producing them.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

what are they made of?

I have a set in near mint condition and they appear to be made of a very high density foam similar to a Crunchie chocolate bar (without the chocolate). Perhaps they can be repaired with a low expansion spray foam insulation sanded down to the correct profile and then apply a coat of body filler to achieve a hard finished surface, just a thought.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GM designed the car to have the air flow IN from under the car, and heat naturally rises...so the air moved OUT of the top grills from the engine bay. Air going in at the top would have to fight the designed air flow. You would have air coming in the top and bottom and fighting itself to find an exit. More likely than not, you would have MORE air coming in than going out raising the underhood air temps. They might function ok if you left the air flow as intended by GM, and only used the scoops to feed air directly into the air (injection or carb) intake, and NOT into the engine bay itself.

As for repairs, you have to use what it was originally made from for the best result. SMC for plastics, fiberglass for fiberglass, metal on metal, etc. Since im sure they are not made of bondo (body filler), other than filling some pure cosmetic flaws like pinholes, body filler is the worst choice.

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

GM designed the car to have the air flow IN from under the car, and heat naturally rises...so the air moved OUT of the top grills from the engine bay. Air going in at the top would have to fight the designed air flow. You would have air coming in the top and bottom and fighting itself to find an exit. More likely than not, you would have MORE air coming in than going out raising the underhood air temps. They might function ok if you left the air flow as intended by GM, and only used the scoops to feed air directly into the air (injection or carb) intake, and NOT into the engine bay itself.

Aren't you the guy who has piped in and told folks to get rid of certain useless parts included by GM on this car, only now to cite GM's alleged intent as a reason to stay away from the scoops?

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:

You could argue that the underhood temps would be higher (arguable), and perhaps cause premature part failures (arguable), but whether the car "overheats" is dependent on the health of the coolant system. Whether hot air is extracted through vents, or cold air forced in through scoops, is at worst going to cause the engine to heat faster on hot days and cause the thermostat to open more and fan to run more.

Agreed.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could have been me. I do believe in getting rid of useless stuff. Some things I think are useless are the little blower fan in the trunk to blow air on the distributor. GM itself done away with them in the end. Another is the steering stabilizer shock. Ive thrown them out on every car thats had them ive had...from Fieros to Mercedes SLs. I like the quicker and lighter steering you get without them. If you drive where you hit a lot of potholes and curbs, you may like keeping them. Installing anything that impedes the way air was designed to flow, to me, causes more harm than good...and thats a completely different comparison. Im all for something that IMPROVES a vehicle...that would make it NOT worthless. A rear wing is a questionable add on. For looks, its fine if you like it, for function...all it really does is tame the air/rainwater flow on the decklid and keep the tail lights cleaner. For downforce, its pretty much worthless unless you routinely drive over 150 mph. Cant help but smile when someone tells me their car handles so much better on the freeway with spoilers...
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
guys.. the clear solution is to just turn them around
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I laughed out loud. Touché.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2017 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

guys.. the clear solution is to just turn them around

Originally posted by USMUCL:

Okay, I laughed out loud. Touché.

OR get the Indy center style scoop which doesn't do anything (good or bad)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-14-2017).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2017 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would actually work, making them function as chimneys to exit hot air.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

That would actually work, making them function as chimneys to exit hot air.

LOL Or one of those diesel pickups "rollin' coal"!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock