Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Changes at US border on importing autos into Canada on April 5th. -------

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Changes at US border on importing autos into Canada on April 5th. ------- by Daleford
Started on: 03-27-2014 07:47 AM
Replies: 5 (367 views)
Last post by: Stubby79 on 03-28-2014 04:08 AM
Daleford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't ask me what they are because I don't know. Just wondering if anybody else knows. I am in the US right now and plan on exporting a car to Canada in early April. I had phoned the US border people about sending up info in advance, and they hinted that I should do it by April 4th. That is all they would say. I am in contact by e-mail with another US crossing location who are a bit friendlier. They too have confirmed that changes are on the way and would e-mail me when they know more.
So, what to do? Rush along and get there by the 4th of April, or go my plans and arrive april 9-10th and hope for the best?
Can anybody here find out any info on this ---PLEASE!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just get everything together for the current regs and then try to adjust to the new ones. Also, call customs again and get the name and contact information of that person and have it handy when you cross over. I am guessing they will be flexible for the first few months, if you show that you did all you could to prepare.

I am guessing that they are looking for stolen vehicles and the process is changing to catch more of them. I sold some snowmobiles to Canadians and I had to provide information for them to give to US customs and they needed it 72 hours before bringing them to Canada. They just needed to verify they weren't stolen.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 03-27-2014).]

Daleford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was planning on doing that. Fax everything up as usual and hope for the best once I get there. If the changes as drastic I would think they should be posting the change date and giving some warning.
One guard at a more friendly crossing promised he would e-mail once he found out anything concrete. At least you run into a member with a heart once and a while.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daleford:

I am in contact by e-mail with another US crossing location who are a bit friendlier.

I don't know how many options you have, but yeah, choose the border crossing you wish to use carefully. I brought two 88's up into Canada last July and was forced to deal with quite a jerk at US Customs. He made sure he screwed me around as much as he could. In retrospect, I should've used a different crossing when I realized (after a phone call to this guy prior to bringing the Fieros up) what a power trip he was on.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-27-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I don't know how many options you have, but yeah, choose the border crossing you wish to use carefully.

Try crossing at Jim's Corner in Angle Minnesota...all they have there is a video phone!

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if it'll affect prices on new domestic vehicles bought here in Canada. Might end up being just another nail in the coffin...

Edit: I heard something a month or two back about making it harder/more expensive to buy a new car over there and bring it over, trying to stop us getting American prices on the same vehicles. Not sure which side was doing that.

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 03-28-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock