Wing delete GT fastbacks by RockDork
Started on: 03-24-2014 12:17 PM
Replies: 56 (2401 views)
Last post by: randye on 05-21-2015 06:59 PM
RockDork

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is an 87 wing delete GT. When I first got it I was a little upset it didn't have one. I even went as far as to buy another deck lid with wing so I could interchange looks from time to time. The problem is that other than the color change, my car is numbers matching and by swapping lids that would change the sticker code ( I know judges notice that stuff) also the underside of my wing deck isn't in that great of shape and the only way to fix it would be to paint it (again.... taking away from originality)
The more I live with the wingless look the more I have been embracing it. I think I will scrap the idea of having a wing in any capacity and just enjoy the car as it is. It looks damn good without it!!

I know there are a good number of wingless GT's out there but I'm guessing a lot of them had the wings shaved off. Are there any exact numbers of wing deletes produced out there? I'm curious just how many people decided against it.

I guess to refine the search, I am looking for the numbers for the 86,87,and 88 fastbacks.
Thanks in advance for any info you find!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine originally had the wing but it looks like it got "lost" before I bought the car in 1994.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I watch the RPO stickers. The code for the wing is D80, and I've noticed about 90% of the wingless GTs I see still have the D80 code; in other words, the owner (or someone) has removed it and plugged the holes.

Wingless GTs seem a little more common with 1988 models however. I've also seen a few where the owner of a former-wingless GT has added one at some point.

My '88 GT was built wingless but at some point a previous owner added an aftermarket wing that although it resembled the factory wing, it was a cheap aftermarket. Probably from some place like JC Whitney. It was in poor condition and when I found a perfect wingless decklid in the junkyard, I was more than happy to make the switch. Right color even!
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I would NEVER think about taking a wingless deck lid and drilling holes in it for one. They seem pretty rare to begin with! Thats why I just got one from a junkyard, but it looks like now that it is just going to sit around and collect dust.
87 REGISTRY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 REGISTRYSend a Private Message to 87 REGISTRYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the looks of the data I've collected so far I would have to say that a spoiler-less GT would be unusual. But my data is skewed because most people don't report if they have a wing or not. I have only 5 people reporting that they have stock GTs with luggage racks.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you trying to compete in shows in the 100% stock classes, and make an effort to actually win them?

I ask because of the judging comment you made. If not, do you really care what the judges think? If so, you can always get a new sticker printed with the right number. But at most shows, it won't be noticed if the sticker is just not there either. Nor do they tend to check the RPO sticker and validate everything.

Another option might be to go for the small lip spoiler if you really want a spoiler. They look really good on the fastbacks. Better than the factory wing I think.
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Are you trying to compete in shows in the 100% stock classes, and make an effort to actually win them?

I ask because of the judging comment you made. If not, do you really care what the judges think? If so, you can always get a new sticker printed with the right number. But at most shows, it won't be noticed if the sticker is just not there either. Nor do they tend to check the RPO sticker and validate everything.

Another option might be to go for the small lip spoiler if you really want a spoiler. They look really good on the fastbacks. Better than the factory wing I think.

I would never be able to enter a 100% stock class anyways since my car is brown. I just like the idea of everything else matching and having others be able to see the car is all original and not Frankensteined like a lot of other cars are. I'm kind of OCD in that regard.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked my wingless GT (which is the only way I'll ever have a fastback) and I do not have the D80 RPO code. Funny, my VIN ends with 314, yet the decklid ends with 311. All panels except the decklid matched. I've had 3 other Fieros, all notchies, and had a spoiler on every one of them.
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if a lot of the early production 87 GTs were ordered w/o wings. I bought my 86 GT in June of 86 and later in the year (like Sept.) I was in for service and was talking to the salesman that sold me mine. He told me that they had ordered all their new 87s without the wing because the DOT was talking about outlawing them due to obstruction of rear vision. I wonder how many others did the same? I do know a lot of the buyers of those wingless 87s were offered the factory wing as a dealer add on though.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbo86se:

I just checked my wingless GT (which is the only way I'll ever have a fastback) and I do not have the D80 RPO code. Funny, my VIN ends with 314, yet the decklid ends with 311. All panels except the decklid matched. I've had 3 other Fieros, all notchies, and had a spoiler on every one of them.

Mine is soon to be the same way... I don't really care for the stock spoiler and I bought a gold fastback deck lid that had no holes in it to replace mine. If anything, in the future it will have a lip spoiler.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While a bit of a rarity to see a spoiler-less fastback GT, most of the discrepancies that come from cars equipped with or without one and their RPO list is likely due to how popular the Fiero spoiler was on most all Fieros. Even JC Whitney offered a reproduction of the spoiler that was affordable, so it wasn't overly difficult to install a Fiero spoiler after initial purchase. It's a lot like those aftermarket sunroofs that appear on Fieros all the time, despite so many Fieros having been built with sunroofs - they were popular to have.

A more of a rarity than spoiler-less fastbacks may be fastbacks with luggage racks. You don't see a lot of those, but you could order them that way. The person ordering the car had to specify the luggage rack on the order sheet and pay for the option, as GM shipped fastbacks either with or without spoilers primarily.
PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Is the back end extended on that? It looks like the incline of the fastback tapers off before it should. (if that makes sense)
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up another one last week, Love em'!!!!

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Looks awesome!
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RockDork:
Is the back end extended on that? It looks like the incline of the fastback tapers off before it should. (if that makes sense)

Nope, that part of the body is stock
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would never be able to enter a 100% stock class anyways since my car is brown. I just like the idea of everything else matching and having others be able to see the car is all original and not Frankensteined like a lot of other cars are. I'm kind of OCD in that regard.

Since you are OCD you should erase the term "GT fastback wing delete" from your vocabulary because there is no such thing. The wing was an option on all GTs. You either ordered it or you didn't. There is no such thing on a fastback as a wing delete. However, the Indy and the Formula came automatically with a wing. Don't know is there was a wing delete code or not.
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Since you are OCD you should erase the term "GT fastback wing delete" from your vocabulary because there is no such thing. The wing was an option on all GTs. You either ordered it or you didn't. There is no such thing on a fastback as a wing delete. However, the Indy and the Formula came automatically with a wing. Don't know is there was a wing delete code or not.

Gee......... Sorrrrreeee!!!! I heard it mentioned on here before and figured it was a term.

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I ordered my 87GT in Dec. 86, I ordered it without a wing. It turned out to be a problem for the dealer. He had sold a lot of GT's and everyone with a wing. It took 3 extra weeks added to a normal delivery time to get the car without a wing. when the car came in everyone thought the car looked great. Non of the staff had seen one without the wing. I liked the wing but had a tough time seeing out the back window on the demo car I drove. Mine was the first one I had seen without a wing. I really like the looks.

------------------
woodys 427

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wingless

Rob
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by RockDork (edited 03-26-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
wingless

I think the end result of the OP is a desire to know the production sales numbers for 86-88 GT VIN cars, which did not have the RPO for the wing. In other words, how many fastback GTs came from the factory, without a spoiler.

Don't think he was asking whether others are running with or without a factory spoiler.But +1 on lip spoiler on fastbacks. It looks like it belongs there, more so than the factory wing.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the end result of the OP is a desire to know the production sales numbers for 86-88 GT VIN cars, which did not have the RPO for the wing. In other words, how many fastback GTs came from the factory, without a spoiler.

Don't think he was asking whether others are running with or without a factory spoiler.But +1 on lip spoiler on fastbacks. It looks like it belongs there, more so than the factory wing.

I know.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gee......... Sorrrrreeee!!!! I heard it mentioned on here before and figured it was a term.

No apology needed. But the notion that all Fastbacks had wings and you had to somehow "delete" the wing to get a wingless one is another one of the Fiero myths that has persisted for decades. Along with suspension by Lotus and they all catch fire. Well not quite that bad, but you get the idea.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know.

Sure.

I was just posting that for others that come in and just read the last few posts, rather than the original, so that hopefully they'll see it and the thread might get slightly back on topic.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wing delete AND SUNROOF DELETE:

(just to confuse things a bit more......)

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-26-2014).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Wing delete AND SUNROOF DELETE:

(just to confuse things a bit more......)

Your car is AWESOME!
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup.
SC87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SC87GTSend a Private Message to SC87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He more and more I see wingless GT fast backs he more I want to remove my wing...they look so much more aerodynamic and clean not to mention smooth!!!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SC87GT:

He more and more I see wingless GT fast backs he more I want to remove my wing...they look so much more aerodynamic and clean not to mention smooth!!!

I like the wing!

That said, wings were a very 80's thing - so I guess a wingless Fiero will confuse people even more about the Fiero's age.

They'll think they're much newer than they are.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-27-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
I like the wing!

That said, wings were a very 80's thing - so I guess a wingless Fiero will confuse people even more about the Fiero's age.

They'll think they're much newer than they are.

I doubt that will make a difference. There are plenty of newer cars that still have wings, and after-market wings are still a huge industry. The biggest "age indicator" on the Fiero is still the side moulding.
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wing delete?!? Fastback with Luggage Rack is where it's AT!

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I doubt that will make a difference. There are plenty of newer cars that still have wings, and after-market wings are still a huge industry. The biggest "age indicator" on the Fiero is still the side moulding.

I think the last GM vehicle with full perimeter side molding was the 05 Grand Am GT...
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is very nice, yes...

Mine... is not so artistic.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 03-27-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wingless, but improved !

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 03-27-2014).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Wing delete?!? Fastback with Luggage Rack is where it's AT!

AND its another hardtop which I am beginning to think is more rare than I thought.....
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

AND its another hardtop which I am beginning to think is more rare than I thought.....

Mine was a hardtop when I bought it but I put the sunroof in.
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wingless

Rob

I love Your car!! Wanna trade??

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors