rear spoiler are they the same? by jon m
Started on: 03-23-2014 02:29 PM
Replies: 10 (631 views)
Last post by: jon m on 03-24-2014 01:43 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi after a little accident with my rear wing stand (which I am going to try and repair) can anyone tell me if a rear spoiler from a notchie will fit a fast back?

any opinions welcomed
Jon M
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe all the Fiero spoilers are the same. There were some aftermarket ones sold through JC Whitney that were similar, but the wing stands were molded into the wing instead of separate pieces.

If it is just your wingstand that is damaged, it might be a good time to upgrade to TLG's stealth wingstands.
http://www.tlg-auto.com/fiero-stealth-wing-stands/
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are some differences in the stands if the spoiler came off of a pre-1986 notchback.

Since in 1984 - 1985 there was only notchbacks, the spoilers were setup to have stud seats just for two positions. When the fastback model came along, GM re-tooled the spoiler stands to add a third stud seat since the rear stud on fastbacks is in a different position than on notchbacks.

However it's been some years since I've glanced at notchback spoilers (been around too many fastbacks) and I cannot recall if there is solid material to relocate the stud to. I believe there is not.

The aforementioned JC Whitney reproduction mentioned above appears for sale every so often. You can tell it from other spoilers in that the stands are completely molded into the spoiler itself and the bottoms of the stands are solid.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spoilers are the same, how they connect to the deck is different. The studs for the coupes wing stand are closer together than the GT wing stand.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All wings are NOT the same. I have several original wings and the width (driver's side to passenger side) varies. Not by much. At the most a half inch to an inch. Been a while since I compared them.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 03-23-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:
The aforementioned JC Whitney reproduction mentioned above appears for sale every so often. You can tell it from other spoilers in that the stands are completely molded into the spoiler itself and the bottoms of the stands are solid.

And, I think they are urethane, so after a while in the sun, they bow down in the center and look awful.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
And, I think they are urethane, so after a while in the sun, they bow down in the center and look awful.

I've seen some factory spoilers that sagged in the center.
I've heard that the wing supports are slanted, depending upon whether they are for the right or left side. If they are reversed, they will tend to force the spoiler down in the middle.
I have not verified this, but it's probably worth a check if your wing is disassembled from the supports.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a jc whitney wing. got it years ago, from jcw. it does not bow down, or sag I love it. I have a whole bunch of stockers, but I run the good looking one.

[This message has been edited by FFIEROFRED (edited 03-23-2014).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice - I am looking for a wing stand to replace the one that has broken on mine ( I have placed a request in the mall section).

so if I cant get a replacement wing stand I maybe able to get hold of a full spoiler with wing stands from a notchie - to go straight onto my 87 fastback into the original holes in the decklid ?

thanks so far
Jon
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:... I maybe able to get hold of a full spoiler with wing stands from a notchie - to go straight onto my 87 fastback into the original holes in the decklid ?

They will not go directly in - that's what I eluded to in my post. You will have to relocate the rear stud on the spoiler stands. The fastback decklid structure on the underside required a hole in a slightly different spot, since if you just install the notchback spoiler as is, the stud will go through a part of the structure that cannot be accessed
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

They will not go directly in - that's what I eluded to in my post. You will have to relocate the rear stud on the spoiler stands. The fastback decklid structure on the underside required a hole in a slightly different spot, since if you just install the notchback spoiler as is, the stud will go through a part of the structure that cannot be accessed

I do apologise there my mistake rushing in - I've notice there is a space for another bolt/thread a little closer in.

the good news (without counting my chickens) I maybe able to repair it after all

jon

[This message has been edited by jon m (edited 03-24-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay