Junkyard type database by spcearle
Started on: 03-21-2014 03:55 PM
Replies: 11 (517 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-24-2014 04:32 PM
spcearle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it would be tough and deffinatly not in my ability but I was wondering if it would be a realistic idea to have say broken down by state a database of known fieros or something of junkyards that have fieros to keep track of for those looking for parts
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been proposed more than a few times. The difficulty, I think, is maintaining such a list when many junkyards have a high turnover rate. At the junkyards near me, cars come in, get processed, sit in the yard and eventually get crushed within a couple-three months tops.

The cars in those various other junkyards where they sit around for years on end are invariably picked over very well.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can check Pick n Pull's inventory.
http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx

Put in your ZIP code and how far you want to travel.
There's not a lot showing up there.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-22-2014).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the biggest problem with most well-known yards is the turn-over rate as mentioned above. Junk yards ultimately make a good deal of money off of every car that comes in, since they pay little to nothing for them. As soon as some sort of notable money is made off of a car it's usually disposed of, even if there are still sellable parts on it.

The other thing you ultimately have to consider is the Fiero's age. Since fewer and fewer people own them there's even less demand to keep them for extended periods. If a junk yard got a mid 90s Civic they'd probably keep it in the pull longer than a Fiero, for example, even if more parts were being pulled off the Civic.

Most of my good finds have been word-of-mouth of people giving me heads up of Fieros in more independent junk yards that tend to keep cars longer. That though is very hard to track since most of those yards still do not have computerized inventories.
Rik

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RikSend a Private Message to RikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Row 52 does a nice searchable database of what's in their yards.

http://row52.com/Search
spcearle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Understood on all parts....every once in a while someone is posting about a fiero found in a yard or something and would just be a nice thought to have a collected post on them for those that need or want parts...for example I know one yard that has about 6 notchies( and they've been there for at least a decade) one that has a 85 gt and another with an 84.... Now I moved to nyc area and don't know of any( in fact I don't even know where good yards are around here ) within 100 miles ... And I'm on a big hunt for a gold sunroof panel for my car
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem with yard and people wanting parts is that say a person wants a part and it only costs 20 from the price list at the yard so the person only wants to spend $30 on said part after shipping and it take the person pulling it 2 hours to pull said part and shipping is at least $15 so you see it is a loose loose with the puller for the part. unfortunately some people think parts are gold when they have them and want to pay pennies when they need them.
spcearle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not talking about " hey can you go get me that and send it to me" type thing.... Example last year someone posted about a gold fiero in a pick and pull in jersey they saw .... Or last month someone posted about a pace car in a yard.... I'm speaking of if someone pops into a yard and notices a fiero was just brought in... Maybe they might not want anything but maybe someone else might be looking for something and by knowing a yard has one can then truck themselves to the yard and maybe get what they need... Hell I know people on here take almost scheduled trips to yards in their area.... When ever I drive from Brooklyn to western ny there is 3 or 4 yards I almost always stop by to snoop around at.... Or like I previously said if anyone in western ny needs notchie parts I know where there are several.... I'd be all over yards in my area if I knew where they were but I the 5 Burroughs as far as I know they are yards the size of a store parking lot that deal with newer stuff.... Hoping to be able to locate yards this summer in Long Island and jersey
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice to do it by "state" in order to keep the shipping cost down.
spcearle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spcearleSend a Private Message to spcearleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really sure where the confusion and talk about shipping has come into play on this topic.... I never brought up the idea of having other people do the leg work and get the parts ...this was more of a " hey I know that yard , it's not far from me and I could really use this this part , let's go see if they have it"....
Another idea would poss be regional forums... I know every fbody site I belong to has one and it would be a great way to post up stuff from your area and even have a classified to better see what's out there in your area
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upull and Pay http://www.upullandpay.com/ was my choice in Colorado. They have yards in several states and their prices are very reasonable. You can check their inventory and parts prices online. I have been to the one in Colorado Springs and one to the east side of Denver in Aurora. They are very well organized too but I have heard complaints that they arbitrarily charge big bux for things that they can't find in their pricelist. Caveat Emptor. When I lived in the Springs, they charged $2 entry fee and searched your tool box going in and sometimes on exiting.

They had a blonde babe there who was easy on the eyes and she seemed to be the only person who knew anything.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wirthman Brothers on E Main St in Columbus (Whitehall) almost always has a few Fieros and they sit there for quite a while till their picked over pretty good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock